ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > TREATMENT & MANAGEMENT > Medications > Ritalin
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Ritalin (methylphenidate)

Old 04-15-18, 09:21 AM
ADDvanced Member

Barbrady1 is on a distinguished road
Unhappy Ritalin has stopped working

I am currently prescribed 10mg of instant release methylphenidate (brand name Tranquilyn), which are to be taken three times a day.

However, over the past several weeks, I have noticed a significant decrease in effectiveness.

I have tried cutting out caffeine, eating more protein and avoiding citric acid but there hasn’t been any discernible improvement with any of these methods.

If it’s of any relevance, I am a fairly slim guy at around 145lbs and have been diagnosed with autism and combined-type ADHD.

My next review is on the 23rd, and at the moment I am tempted to ask for a higher dose or a different medication altogether. But I am somewhat reluctant to propose a different medication as I have already had failed trials on Concerta and Elvanse. If I complain again about this particular medication, I suspect it’s likely that my psychiatrist will either put me on Strattera or say I can no longer be prescribed medication for ADHD.

Whilst it’s never a good idea to sway from one’s medication
plan, I have tried taking 5mg, 7.5mg, 12.5mg and 15mg over the past few weeks but again the results were far from satisfactory. If I hadn’t had great success on this particular medication before, I would be most keen to discontinue it right away.

It’s extremely disappointing that I can no longer comprehend what I am reading, remember verbal instructions and quickly lose interest in things again. Time and time again I find myself walking around aimlessly looking for things because I haven’t been paying attention to what I was doing. As a consequence, my levels of productivity at work have dropped and I am beginning to feel quite apathetic towards life again. I hate spacing out all the time; brain fog is extremely debilitating.

Are there any experienced Ritalin users who have had similar difficulties? And if so, what did you do?
Old 04-15-18, 10:20 AM

Thanked 32,789 Times in 14,812 Posts
peripatetic has a reputation beyond reputeperipatetic has a reputation beyond reputeperipatetic has a reputation beyond reputeperipatetic has a reputation beyond reputeperipatetic has a reputation beyond reputeperipatetic has a reputation beyond reputeperipatetic has a reputation beyond reputeperipatetic has a reputation beyond reputeperipatetic has a reputation beyond reputeperipatetic has a reputation beyond reputeperipatetic has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Ritalin has stopped working

it sounds like methylphenidate-based medications aren't ideal for you. perhaps you should try amphetamine-based ones, like adderall or dexedrine.

i would go in and concentrate on describing the symptoms you're still having rather than propose increased dosage or another medication. if you explain the concerns you still have, one of those ideas should present itself to your psychiatrist as solutions.

good luck. x
The Following User Says Thank You to peripatetic For This Useful Post:
Barbrady1 (04-15-18)
Old 04-15-18, 10:34 AM
ADDvanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by peripatetic View Post
it sounds like methylphenidate-based medications aren't ideal for you. perhaps you should try amphetamine-based ones, like adderall or dexedrine.

i would go in and concentrate on describing the symptoms you're still having rather than propose increased dosage or another medication. if you explain the concerns you still have, one of those ideas should present itself to your psychiatrist as solutions.

good luck. x
Thank you.

Upon reflection, I donít believe an increase in dosage would be a particularly idea as anything above 10mg seems to emotionally numb me and feelings of depression/anhedonia re-emerge.

I know Adderall isnít prescribed in the UK, and I donít believe Dexedrine is available either. I suspect my alternative options would be to retry Concerta or Elvanse, or try something like Strattera or Guanfacine (?).
The Following User Says Thank You to Barbrady1 For This Useful Post:
peripatetic (04-15-18)
Sponsored Links
Old 04-15-18, 10:35 AM
ADDvanced Member

...incidentally, Dexedrine would be my preference but I am sure I read somewhere it’s only available through a private psychiatrist, which would cost way too much.
peripatetic (04-15-18)
Old 04-15-18, 10:42 AM

Thanked 32,789 Times in 14,812 Posts
peripatetic has a reputation beyond reputeperipatetic has a reputation beyond reputeperipatetic has a reputation beyond reputeperipatetic has a reputation beyond reputeperipatetic has a reputation beyond reputeperipatetic has a reputation beyond reputeperipatetic has a reputation beyond reputeperipatetic has a reputation beyond reputeperipatetic has a reputation beyond reputeperipatetic has a reputation beyond reputeperipatetic has a reputation beyond repute

dexedrine is available in the UK...but i didn't realise only by private consult...

if an increase gives you anhedonia or anhedonia-like response, then that's too high a dosage.

is it possible that you've just acclimated to it and it IS working but you're not getting a physical jolt so you feel it isn't?
Old 04-15-18, 11:21 AM
ADDvanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by peripatetic View Post
dexedrine is available in the UK...but i didn't realise only by private consult...

if an increase gives you anhedonia or anhedonia-like response, then that's too high a dosage.

is it possible that you've just acclimated to it and it IS working but you're not getting a physical jolt so you feel it isn't?
5mg is the only dose that doesnít seem to have disconcerting side effects. But my dose was upped to 10mg because the 5s were only moderately effective. Furthermore, I wanted to take 5mg four times a day as opposed to three but my psychiatrist declined this request. I will probably have to drop down to 5mg or try something else.
peripatetic (04-15-18)