ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > CO-EXISTING CONDITIONS > Bipolar > AD/HD and Bipolar in Adults
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Old 04-18-18, 12:18 AM
Zen moderator

Thanked 26,744 Times in 12,993 Posts
stef has a reputation beyond reputestef has a reputation beyond reputestef has a reputation beyond reputestef has a reputation beyond reputestef has a reputation beyond reputestef has a reputation beyond reputestef has a reputation beyond reputestef has a reputation beyond reputestef has a reputation beyond reputestef has a reputation beyond reputestef has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Mariah Carey has BPII so of course the world pays attention!

Language is constantly evolving, so a word will slip into some kind of commom usage which isn't necissarily directed to those who actually have the disorder ( unlike racial slurs, for example).
But this will always be like a slap in the face to those with the disorder, or whose loved ones are affected by it.
It still bothers me when people use "depressed" lightly. my mom's empty eyes and flat voice.

I think that If Mariah Carey has a good interview and speaks from the heart, and the media transmits this respectfully, it may help some understand. but goodness it can be painful to read anyway.

one of the British princes spoke ( I can never remember which is which) very frankly about severe depression and I thought that was one the best examples Ive ever seen.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to stef For This Useful Post:
Little Missy (04-18-18), Lunacie (04-18-18)
Old 04-18-18, 12:27 PM
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate

Thanked 25,045 Times in 11,633 Posts
Lunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Mariah Carey has BPII so of course the world pays attention!

Quote:
Originally Posted by stef View Post
Language is constantly evolving, so a word will slip into some kind of commom usage which isn't necissarily directed to those who actually have the disorder ( unlike racial slurs, for example).
But this will always be like a slap in the face to those with the disorder, or whose loved ones are affected by it.
It still bothers me when people use "depressed" lightly. my mom's empty eyes and flat voice.

I think that If Mariah Carey has a good interview and speaks from the heart, and the media transmits this respectfully, it may help some understand. but goodness it can be painful to read anyway.

one of the British princes spoke ( I can never remember which is which) very frankly about severe depression and I thought that was one the best examples Ive ever seen.
Both Will and Harry and Kate too have worked with Heads Together to erase
the stigma of mental illness. Harry especially shut down his emotions after his
mum died and doesn't want to see others going through hard times alone. Kate
talks about post partum changes and depression. Bravo for all three of them!

As far as I know, there is nothing positive about ADHD that people can't have w out ADHD. ~ ADD me
The Following User Says Thank You to Lunacie For This Useful Post:
stef (04-18-18)