ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > TREATMENT & MANAGEMENT > Meditation and Spirituality
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Old 10-26-15, 04:26 AM
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate

Thanked 14,557 Times in 6,500 Posts
aeon has a reputation beyond reputeaeon has a reputation beyond reputeaeon has a reputation beyond reputeaeon has a reputation beyond reputeaeon has a reputation beyond reputeaeon has a reputation beyond reputeaeon has a reputation beyond reputeaeon has a reputation beyond reputeaeon has a reputation beyond reputeaeon has a reputation beyond reputeaeon has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Can you 'quiet your mind'?

No, yes, yes, yes.

And I am even better with those things when I am medicated.

Because all things are possible with amphetamines.

OK, seriously now...yes, I can quiet my mind. But in those times I am not
quieting it, it runs free with a mix of word salad, music, and static. Very
not quiet, I must say.

Meds help with that...the word salad and static go away, and I am left with music.

Thatís quite OK with me.

Cheers,
Ian
Old 10-26-15, 05:49 AM
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate

Thanked 6,141 Times in 2,896 Posts
Kunga Dorji has a reputation beyond reputeKunga Dorji has a reputation beyond reputeKunga Dorji has a reputation beyond reputeKunga Dorji has a reputation beyond reputeKunga Dorji has a reputation beyond reputeKunga Dorji has a reputation beyond reputeKunga Dorji has a reputation beyond reputeKunga Dorji has a reputation beyond reputeKunga Dorji has a reputation beyond reputeKunga Dorji has a reputation beyond reputeKunga Dorji has a reputation beyond repute

The simple point is that "quieting the mind" ain't that hard.
A thought comes up- and you go back to noticing the feeling on the back of the right middle finger.
You don't give the thought the acknowledgement that it is worth attending to-- and the thought realises is is unimportant, and it goes away.
(Apologies for the anthropormorphisms )

Whenever you see a crowd all rushing in the same direction on any one issue, run in the opposite direction.

There is neither fun nor profit to be had in polishing the brass knobs on a bandwagon.
Nicholas Nasseem Taleb.

The Following User Says Thank You to Kunga Dorji For This Useful Post:
adhdseeker (05-10-16)
Old 08-02-16, 03:14 PM

Ann Grin is on a distinguished road

I can just for a few minutes. It's not so easy as it seems)
The Following User Says Thank You to Ann Grin For This Useful Post:
DanielGM1970 (09-05-18)
Sponsored Links
Old 09-17-16, 09:44 AM

Gerty88 is on a distinguished road

Frankly this is a very interesting topic.
I know for a fact that a lot of the noise in my head is due to issues davefs described. I just cant shake the idea that i have trouble processing these issies because of constant internal distractions, no matter how much i try to focus on them. Maybe its a habit of lifelong emotional supression or its just an adhd mind.

I wonder what happened to davefs though, if he managed to stay off meds and relatively adhd symptom free.
Old 09-05-18, 09:37 PM
ADDvanced Member

DanielGM1970 is a name known to allDanielGM1970 is a name known to allDanielGM1970 is a name known to allDanielGM1970 is a name known to allDanielGM1970 is a name known to allDanielGM1970 is a name known to allDanielGM1970 is a name known to all

I think mindfulness and meditation definitely helps me in that it helps me stay in the present moment, really see what's going on around me, and avoid drifting away into constant commentary and conversation in my head. It helps me pay more attention to what people are saying to me, and also to being with who I am with in the present moment and really experiencing it.

I definitely self-medicate with meditation sometimes lol.

Daniel

"I seek trying to be perfect and instead stay faithful to my psychological and spiritual practice."

- Dr. David Richo

Be yourself, and the rest will follow.

Breathing is not optional. - Dr. Raymond Wertheim

What do you care what other people think? - Arline Feynman, to her husband, American physicist Richard P. Feynman

D.
Old 09-05-18, 09:40 PM
ADDvanced Member

DanielGM1970 is a name known to allDanielGM1970 is a name known to allDanielGM1970 is a name known to allDanielGM1970 is a name known to allDanielGM1970 is a name known to allDanielGM1970 is a name known to allDanielGM1970 is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by lmg2474 View Post
Meditation has exponentially helped me with quieting my mind, even if just for a little while. It took a while for me to really grasp since I'm so used to the incessantly scattered thoughts bouncing off the walls of my mind.

Embarrassingly enough, it took a lot of practice before even getting to the point of momentary inner silence. But once I experienced it, it was so profoundly liberating that I've been dedicated to daily meditation every day since then. From the moment I wake up I'm bombarded with a million random thoughts all begging for my attention at once so it's extremely euphoric to be able to escape from the utter madness every once in a while.

I think meditation and other forms of turning off the mind can be immensely beneficial for ADDers. Personally, however, I've found that it unfortunately doesn't help to alleviate any of the symptoms of ADD when I'm not meditating. It has had other unrelated benefits which I'm grateful for, but when it comes to ADD I sort of compare it to medication: it works while being used, but does nothing to help when not being used. In other words, it doesn't have any long-term benefits for me. But to at least have those 30 minutes of total silence twice a day is something to be happy about.

I also love lucid dreaming (and dreaming in general), since the parts of the brain that facilitate ADD are turned off so to speak. That's also very liberating. My most creative sparks happen during both meditation and dreaming.

So even though it's a pain in the *** for ADDers to actually learn, quieting the mind is tremendously powerful. Especially for people with ADD. The tranquility that I experience is incomparable and its rarity makes it that much more treasured.

I highly suggest that everyone with ADD really make a commitment to learn some form of quieting the mind. Yes, I know, actually following through with a commitment (yikes) is an extremely difficult process but I promise it will be well worth it.
I agree that meditation is nice when you're doing it - however, the lessons of mindfully paying attention at all times can be applied to whatever you're doing. Check out the "10% happier" app - it's got amazing guided meditations for all situations - driving, eating, walking, sleeping, etc. etc.!! It's awesome. Lots of free content, but I finally upgraded for about $100 and totally worth it. And no, I don't work for them! But it's a great product so I'm happy promoting it to whoever will listen. My ADHD daughter uses it to sleep.

Be yourself, and the rest will follow.

Breathing is not optional. - Dr. Raymond Wertheim

What do you care what other people think? - Arline Feynman, to her husband, American physicist Richard P. Feynman

D.