ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > TREATMENT & MANAGEMENT > Medications > General Medication Discussion
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

General Medication Discussion This section is to be used for general medication discussion and other medications not broken out in their own respective forums.

Old 06-12-18, 05:23 PM

Wallegator23 is on a distinguished road
Stimulants for sleep?

I currently have been taking vyvanse 70mg and strattera 120mg for the past 3 years. This combination works well, while everything else I've tried had been a complete failure. Overall my sleep is better, but I still have ruts where I can't sleep. What I discovered was that if I couldn't sleep, or slept very poorly was that if I took the vyvanse in the morning I could sleep remarkably well for a couple of hours starting at around 30min to an hour after taking the 70mg dose. It's truly remarkable how everytime I've done this, bare none, I've had vivid dreams and wake up remarkably refreshed 2-3 hours after I've taken the dose. It doesn't make sense that I could feel more rested than nights I thought I slept for 8 hours. My wife says she can tell by my breathing that I'm sleeping deeply and she finds she can actually tolerate me. I've asked two doctors if they can prescribe 60mg during the day and 10 mg's at night but they say the insurance company will not pay for two scripts. I get that its a stimulant and will prevent sleep for some, but it's not the case for me until the medication ramps itself up enough to wake me up. The times I've given are a generalization, but I'm guessing its pretty close. The doctors can write for an extra 10mg dose and have done so twice now, but the insurance company wants me to pay full price for the 10mg's. My wife is currently fighting with the insurance company and she's getting the run around like I did. I'm actually tired of fighting the medical system, which I know a great deal about, but I'm not going down that road as I seem to lose my entire audience and they don't have ADHD. I was just curious how many with ADHD find low dose helps them, and if anyone was successful getting an insurance company to pay for the second dose?
Old 06-12-18, 08:25 PM
ADDvanced Member

LyrinMeow is a glorious beacon of lightLyrinMeow is a glorious beacon of lightLyrinMeow is a glorious beacon of lightLyrinMeow is a glorious beacon of lightLyrinMeow is a glorious beacon of light
Re: Stimulants for sleep?

I just mentioned this in another thread but there are free prescription discount programs that you can get to send you the information of the pharmacy. I just had them text my phone and showed the plan info to my pharmacy. Went from like 140 to 70. So if insurance absolutely won't cover it you could see if you could at least get it cheaper.

I don't know that my Concerta helped me sleep but I could sleep through my dosage peak just fine. So it doesn't stop me from sleeping but it doesn't seem to help either. I haven't tried sleeping on my Adderall, granted I am on a crap ton of it.

If it works for you it works. Just don't hold your breath about the insurance.
Old 06-12-18, 10:13 PM
Contributor

CharlesH is a name known to allCharlesH is a name known to allCharlesH is a name known to allCharlesH is a name known to allCharlesH is a name known to allCharlesH is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wallegator23 View Post
I was just curious how many with ADHD find low dose helps them, and if anyone was successful getting an insurance company to pay for the second dose?
Vyvanse is basically an expensive, extended release version of dexedrine. If you need a booster dose, I'd suggest you could try immediate release dexedrine for your second dose. It'd probably work just as well as Vyvanse, and insurance would be more likely to cover it.

I don't think stimulants directly make you tired, but if you're someone whose untreated ADHD symptoms cause sleep problems, then stimulants could indirectly improve your sleep.
Sponsored Links
Old 06-13-18, 01:35 AM

Wallegator23 is on a distinguished road

The Ritalin family did not work well at all for me made me tired and withdrawn. Adderal caused or at least exacerbated IBS. I tried it twice 10 years apart and both times it messed me up good. My doctor didn't think the Vyvanse would work because he believed that Adderall and Vyvanse were exactly the same medication. Vyvanse is almost the same, but it is different, having only one of the Adderall's mirror image amine groups with a different mode of delivery. I was so miserable on Adderall that it was hard to say if it helped or not.
I used to take 75mgs of Seroquel before I started trying ADHD meds for sleep. With every increase in either Strattera or Vyvanse, I was able to lower my effective dose of Seroquel to my current dose of 6.25mg by dividing a 25mg tab into 4 pieces. Dexedrine I believe caused the same problems as Adderall. Strattera and Vyvanse are maxed out so increasing my overall dosage is not an option. I must say I'm surprised that I have no side effects at all from the Strattera and Vyvanse, because before the ADHD diagnosis doctors tried treating me for both depression and bipolar 3 and it was a disaster. It was a disaster because every antidepressant or bipolar med they gave me caused severe insomnia, and I tried them all. Anyways I'm sorry I was so long-winded, but I thought a bit of history would be helpful. As far as discounts, I'm on a discount program for the Vyvanse that lowers the price to 30 dollars which after my insurance saves me 50 dollars. Thanks for your suggestions!
Old 06-13-18, 03:10 AM
Mod-A-holic

Thanked 31,229 Times in 14,331 Posts
sarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond repute

I personally would ask for dexedrine as a booster dose.q

I carried a watermelon?