ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > TREATMENT & MANAGEMENT > Medications > Dexedrine/Dextrostat
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Dexedrine/Dextrostat (dextroamphetamine)

Old 06-13-18, 08:32 PM

fathom6 is on a distinguished road
Dexedrine - Assistance

Would there by any manufacturer of Dexedrine that offers financial assistance? Like I know Shire/Vyvanse offers free drug assistance for low-income.
Old 06-13-18, 08:48 PM
Contributor

CharlesH is a name known to allCharlesH is a name known to allCharlesH is a name known to allCharlesH is a name known to allCharlesH is a name known to allCharlesH is a name known to all
Re: Dexedrine - Assistance

First of all, are you talking about Dexedrine IR or XR? IR is very old, available generic, and relatively cheap. Drug assistance programs tend to be for expensive, patented medicine. For example, if Vyvanse costs Shire $5 to manufacture, then if a patient cannot otherwise afford Vyvanse, then $25 dollars out of pocket deal would still make sense from a financial standpoint (completely random numbers I just made up).

Wilshire does have a branded generic form of IR dexedrine that comes in dosages of up to 30mg, and there is a assistance program. But even still, it might be cheaper to just pay out of pocket for normal generic IR dexedrine.

For XR, I don't know as much about that. It is available generic, but it's more expensive to make XR medications, so the prices tend to be higher?
Old 06-14-18, 02:42 AM

The standard 'Dexedrine' would be an immediate release. I think you procure it through an insurance program or else you are a tycoon because it is eye-gouging expensive to me. The generic retails ridiculous, it has a discounted price on goodrx for $98 (10mg x 90tabs) which is still too too much.

Vyvanse has a discounted price of about 300, but if you dont have insurance you can get it for 0 through Shire. Pretty nice deal.

I searched Wilshire Pharmaceuticals, there website is very rudimentary, I will call them tomorrow, there website didn't have any drug assistance program info. Thanks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlesH View Post
Wilshire does have a branded generic form of IR dexedrine that comes in dosages of up to 30mg, and there is a assistance program. But even still, it might be cheaper to just pay out of pocket for normal generic IR dexedrine.
Sponsored Links
Old 06-14-18, 12:26 PM
Contributor

CharlesH is a name known to allCharlesH is a name known to allCharlesH is a name known to allCharlesH is a name known to allCharlesH is a name known to allCharlesH is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by fathom6 View Post
The standard 'Dexedrine' would be an immediate release. I think you procure it through an insurance program or else you are a tycoon because it is eye-gouging expensive to me.
Yep, it's *relatively* cheap, compared to other even more ridiculously priced meds! But yes, it'd make sense to try to get it covered through insurance. I'd imagine that insurance would be happier to cover IR dexedrine than Vyvanse?

Quote:
The generic retails ridiculous, it has a discounted price on goodrx for $98 (10mg x 90tabs) which is still too too much.
Sounds about right, from my experience. I think my insurance pays about $1/pill. Generic Adderall might be more affordable (both out of pocket, and your insurance would be happier to cover it). On goodrx you could get 30mg X 30 tabs for about $20, and the pills are scored so that you can split them into halves or quarters. IDK what your prior experience is with Adderall.

Quote:
Vyvanse has a discounted price of about 300, but if you dont have insurance you can get it for 0 through Shire. Pretty nice deal.
Cool! Haha, Vyvanse must be dirt cheap to produce if Shire is willing to do this. I guess they're really trying to promote the popularity of Vyvanse among prescribers.

Quote:
I searched Wilshire Pharmaceuticals, there website is very rudimentary, I will call them tomorrow, there website didn't have any drug assistance program info. Thanks.
Oops, I meant Zenzedi, not Wilshire! Sorry about that. I think Wilshire is a related pharma company?
The Following User Says Thank You to CharlesH For This Useful Post:
fathom6 (06-14-18)
Old 06-14-18, 12:58 PM
Contributor

Funky1 is a glorious beacon of lightFunky1 is a glorious beacon of lightFunky1 is a glorious beacon of lightFunky1 is a glorious beacon of lightFunky1 is a glorious beacon of light

apparently it's gone down a little bit since the last time I paid out of pocket, I'm sure I paid close to $200 for 120 tabs... also, where did you find that actually accepted GoodRx on a scheduled prescription? I've been turned away from so many pharmacies lately I gave up on those prescription discount programs.
Old 06-14-18, 01:11 PM

Thanks Charles. Zenzedi is not bad. I dont have insurance, but they have a 'C2 Rx Program' through which you pay no more than $75 per prescription. For others (who have insurance) they have a 'Zenzedi Copay Card'.

Hi Funky: Apparently for Zenzedi, GoodRx is not the best since Zenzedi is not stocked by everyone. If you instead go to:
http://arborpharma.com/e-zrx.php
They have a 'E-Z Rx Program', where you can search for select pharmacies that stock Zenzedi as well as give you a discounted price.
Old 06-14-18, 01:14 PM
Contributor

Sorry to hear you've had trouble w/ goodrx not being accepted. I actually am pretty fortunate to have insurance that has good prescription coverage, so I've never had to personally use goodrx. I do have a habit of looking at the pharmacy receipts, and they'll normally say how much $ my insurance covered for me. So that's how I deduced that insurance paid about $1 per pill.

Unfortunately, if you don't have insurance negotiating on behalf of you, pharmacies will often charge you unfairly high prices, which is the whole purpose behind goodrx. Maybe Costco pharmacies would accept it? They tend to have better reputation for customer service, and you don't have to be a Costco member to use their pharmacy.