ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > TREATMENT & MANAGEMENT > Medications > Concerta
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Concerta (methylphenidate) Time released Ritalin - 10 hour long acting tablet.

Old 06-14-18, 10:50 PM

wawaloo will become famous soon enough
Question 1st try Concerta

Hello,

so I was diagnosed with ADD (predominantly inattentive) a while ago and I was prescribed Concerta 18mg (I was told to start with 1x, increase to 2x if needed). I took 1x pill a few days ago (and 1x a few days before that) and I'd like to share the effects I experienced:

1. Incredibly, everything around me seemed to run slower. The world was running at a slower speed so I could manage all the information coming, including conversations.

2. A little bit easier to remember my to-do lists.

3. Things like loud music, bright lights, or a busy mall were no longer an annoyance, usually they make me tired and I avoid them.

4. In fact, I seemed to crave stimulation more. Increased libido, increased need to talk, increased confidence. Basically, I felt more connected to the (human) world around me. This will probably seem strange but I had never comprehended why someone would crave a lot of money or power or social status or even why someone would use drugs. Suddenly I was able to comprehend it instinctively (I don't have another way of describing it).

5. Increased patience but NOT increased focus. I tried to read a book I am interested in, usually I am lazer-sharp when interested in something but now I was probably slower.

6. Easier to internalise thinking.

Side effects:

7. Some 11-12 hours after taking the medication I got a bad headache that lasted a few hours.

8. Insomnia the same night and bad quality sleep for the next 2 nights (I didn't take the medication again). Tired during the day.

Summary: I felt different, somewhat less disconnected and I guess more like other people. I would like to hear your comments, do you connect to my experience at all? I did not find all of these effects comfortable, especially the semi-high feeling of number (4).
Old 06-18-18, 11:07 AM

Unhappy Re: 1st try Concerta

Hello again. I was hoping someone would answer me as I am a bit "lost"

As I said in my first post I noticed 18mg of Concerta gave me a "high" feeling but calmness at the same time. However I couldn't sleep and in fact I didn't reach "deep sleep" again until 4 nights later. I am sensitive to any stimulant and I cannot drink more than 2 cups of coffee in a day or I will get insomnia and sometimes shaky hands and sweat. I've have also tried Modafinil and then the sleep problems lasted 4-5 nights, I didn't get a "high" feeling though, only better focus. Now I am seeing my psychiatrist after a week so I don't know if I should try to take Concerta every day until then even with no sleep or leave it altogether? Also I am wondering if the experience above is typical or if it suggests something else going on? I'm thinking maybe I do not even have ADHD?
Old 06-18-18, 11:21 AM

ImaADHDGuy is on a distinguished road
Re: 1st try Concerta

I know there will be a lot of disagreement on this, but I think stimulants should increase the quality and duration of sleep for people with ADHD. If it doesn't, one of these are probably true:

1) Dose is too high or taken at wrong times.
2) Another co-existing condition interferes with your sleep, and stimulants make it worse.

I had bad insomnia until I started taking Adderall. Now I fall asleep quickly at night, sleep through the night, and wake up refreshed and energetic, ready for the day! I don't even need to hit snooze anymore!

This is an under-studied concept, but a lot ADHD people report their insomnia went away once they started stimulant medication. In fact, I have a friend who had bad insomnia. He sought out many different diagnostic tests with many different doctors until one finally said, I think you have ADHD, here's some Adderall. And he never had a hard time sleeping again. In fact, that's how I ended up diagnosed, as I too suffered from insomnia and looked into ADHD as a possible cause.

All that said, everyone is different and there are different kinds of ADHD, any many people suffer from multiple conditions, so I'm not making rigid statements here. Just offering up a perspective.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ImaADHDGuy For This Useful Post:
CharlesH (06-18-18), Little Missy (06-18-18)
Sponsored Links
Old 06-19-18, 12:36 PM

Unhappy Re: 1st try Concerta

Okay so I tried upping the dose to 36mg (my doctor said that I could do that if I felt 18mg was not working for me). I took it early in the morning and for the first few hours I felt like I had a strong coffee. I went on with my daily plan and study for a subject I usually like and can focus on with no problems. I had great difficulty starting, and was less productive than usual. Also my mind was somewhat slower and more obsessive. I noticed I was much more patient putting my stuff in order, movements were slower, and when speaking I had trouble finding the words (usually I am very fluent). My mind felt "stuck" somewhere. On my way home I nearly had a car accident. It's the first time it happens as I am a careful driver but I drove on its way without noticing. I am in a bit of a shock after this and I also think this medication is making my problems worse, not better. I guess this is not usual experience is it? Does it happen that symptoms get worse before they get better? I think I should stop taking this medication at least for the time being.
Old 06-19-18, 02:24 PM
Mod-A-holic

Thanked 31,229 Times in 14,331 Posts
sarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond repute
Re: 1st try Concerta

Quote:
Originally Posted by wawaloo View Post
Okay so I tried upping the dose to 36mg (my doctor said that I could do that if I felt 18mg was not working for me). I took it early in the morning and for the first few hours I felt like I had a strong coffee. I went on with my daily plan and study for a subject I usually like and can focus on with no problems. I had great difficulty starting, and was less productive than usual. Also my mind was somewhat slower and more obsessive. I noticed I was much more patient putting my stuff in order, movements were slower, and when speaking I had trouble finding the words (usually I am very fluent). My mind felt "stuck" somewhere. On my way home I nearly had a car accident. It's the first time it happens as I am a careful driver but I drove on its way without noticing. I am in a bit of a shock after this and I also think this medication is making my problems worse, not better. I guess this is not usual experience is it? Does it happen that symptoms get worse before they get better? I think I should stop taking this medication at least for the time being.
THis is just my opinion but when you have the reaction you had to the lowest dose of concerta that indicated that maybe the methylphenidate class of drugs isnt good for you personally. I would recommend trying an amphetamine.

I carried a watermelon?