ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > ADULTS AND ADD/ADHD > Careers/Job Impact
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Careers/Job Impact This forum is for adults to discuss how AD/HD affects work and career.

Old 08-06-11, 10:11 AM

eddie_teddy is on a distinguished road
Owning a business and ADD

Hi All,

Firstly, I really value this forum and greatly appreciate everyone's threads and personal stories. i take solice and great encouragement from them.

I was told by a psych that I had ADD @ 23. I had issues with performance at work, relationship problems, high level of anxiety and the same issues that come with undiagnosed ADD (Tested medication... but it never took)... I have ignored my ADD for over 10 years now.

The Darthvadar side (DarkSide) of the ADD for me was/is inattention, poor attn to detail, inconsiderate behaviour, unreliability and procrastination. Annoys the crap out of people close to me. However, the Luke Skywalker (The Force or the Awesome side) of the ADD for me was/is an exremely effective communicator... good at sales and providing the energy and intelligence require to get projects moving in the right direction... (only when they are not my problems...)

So fast forward 10 years, 2 girlfriends, a career change from Govt to the corporate world and still have the same problems, but I now run my own business, which is going pretty good and growing. Anyone who has owned their own business understands the pressures and complexity from staff, clients, finances, partners, issues etc... it is a high pressure gig and one that does not allow you to hide or ignore your issues. The cracks for me are starting to grow.

I am very lucky in that I am particuarly good at sales, and my business partner can assist me with projects that I dont have the attn for... However, I do sense their frustrations with me as a business partner... I switch between being very "on"... and then very "off"... The inconsistency and bad habits are annoying . i get it.

So it has got to a point now where I need to move to the next level. Become more attentive, more focussed and less anxious about missing something. That being I am about to make an appointment to get some meds to help me with this.

The timing feels right, because my current GF is starting to feel the pinch of my ADD too... She has started to call me unreliable; and is becoming frustrated with me... Seen this a couple of times before as well... and if I dont do anything about this, I'll lose her... and I dont want that.

I'll let you know in time how it goes if you are interested. Never been that good with pills and what not... any tips, empathy, similar stories would be a great source of strength right now... thanks again.

Eddie Teddy

ps: ADD are the funnest people I have ever known. I dont want to compare us to non-ADD people, but we are a lot better in general!!

Non-ADD people who judge us are DOUSCHE BAGS!! hehe.
Old 08-06-11, 10:52 PM
ADDvanced Contributor

ADDisme2010 is just really niceADDisme2010 is just really niceADDisme2010 is just really niceADDisme2010 is just really nice
Re: Owning a business and ADD

Have you considered treating the ADD with medication?? If not,
It may be time to consider this as an option. It's at least worth a try, and
at best could greatly improve your focus at work and elsewhere.
Old 08-07-11, 01:05 AM

Talking Re: Owning a business and ADD

Thanks for the response!!

I am seeing someone this week about doing this.

I know it will work; my performance and output tripled when I was on rit 10 years ago, but it made me a little anxious so I quit. I didnt really get it much of a chance.

Cheers and hope you're having a great weekend.
Sponsored Links
Old 08-07-11, 10:56 AM
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate

Thanked 6,030 Times in 2,497 Posts
kilted_scotsman has a reputation beyond reputekilted_scotsman has a reputation beyond reputekilted_scotsman has a reputation beyond reputekilted_scotsman has a reputation beyond reputekilted_scotsman has a reputation beyond reputekilted_scotsman has a reputation beyond reputekilted_scotsman has a reputation beyond reputekilted_scotsman has a reputation beyond reputekilted_scotsman has a reputation beyond reputekilted_scotsman has a reputation beyond reputekilted_scotsman has a reputation beyond repute

Having run a couple of businesses I'd say it is important to get the right people alongide you. Trying to run a business in a conventional heirarchical manner might not work.

I've found it works best for me if I try to be an "empowering" boss... one who gives staff responsibilities and creates a proper team environment. I also made sure I had a good PA type person who handled my admin.

It is REALLY important to get the right people.... most people find a flat, team orientated work structure hard to deal with as they have been used to strong rule structures and being told what to do all the time.

Remember that it's a sign of a good business if someone can be "off" for periods of time and things carry on.... that means the business is resilient and if something happens to someone senior the business won't fall apart.

kilted

kilted
Old 08-08-11, 07:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kilted_scotsman View Post

It is REALLY important to get the right people.... most people find a flat, team orientated work structure hard to deal with as they have been used to strong rule structures and being told what to do all the time.

kilted

kilted

Hi Kilted, this is excellent advice and thank you for the considered post.

I have staff at the moment; and fortunately my business partner is all over it, so whips them into shape. I dont think I would have the same results if it were just me. But you are very correct when you say that employing independent people who can just get on with it is very important.

Thanks again,

Eddie_Teddy