ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > ADDF Lounge > Chit-Chat > ADD Tech Corner
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

ADD Tech Corner Discuss issues with software, hardware, viruses, security and other technology issues here.

Old 10-21-14, 05:30 PM
Forum Guru

eeyore is on a distinguished roadeeyore is on a distinguished roadeeyore is on a distinguished roadeeyore is on a distinguished roadeeyore is on a distinguished roadeeyore is on a distinguished roadeeyore is on a distinguished roadeeyore is on a distinguished roadeeyore is on a distinguished roadeeyore is on a distinguished road
Re: Worst Widely Used Software Ever

well good thing I am not running a baggage claim here ;^)

Old 10-21-14, 08:21 PM
Contributor

RobboW is a name known to allRobboW is a name known to allRobboW is a name known to allRobboW is a name known to allRobboW is a name known to allRobboW is a name known to allRobboW is a name known to all

I find the whole "Apple versus the rest" thing a bit funny.

It's like a brainwashing and people become Apple sheep.

I like whatever works. Win Vista didn't work, pile of garbage. Win7 does work. It's usually some other application that you installed that will break something.
I like Linux but it's program compatibility (or lack of) that makes it hard to use as a daily driver OS.

iOS locks you out of your system, same on a desktop or a phone. You can use it, but don't try to change anything.....
We have a mac laptop here at work. I was looking at the settings to try and diagnose why the picture to our projector would not work properly, but there are almost no settings to look at. Locked out. Ridiculous. On a PC I have half a chance of fixing things. Not with an Apple product.

I like my Android phone because I can root it and customise as much as I want, de-bloat carrier crud, remove un-needed system apps, install customisations etc etc. I don't think a jailbroken iPhone would allow that still. Or should that be an iBend? Lol.

BTW, do you know that Linux and iOS are kind of similar?

Android phones are basically made from Linux.

Windows phone is fail. Microsoft should just stay away from phones, lol.
Old 10-21-14, 08:35 PM
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate

Thanked 6,127 Times in 2,802 Posts
Stevuke79 has a reputation beyond reputeStevuke79 has a reputation beyond reputeStevuke79 has a reputation beyond reputeStevuke79 has a reputation beyond reputeStevuke79 has a reputation beyond reputeStevuke79 has a reputation beyond reputeStevuke79 has a reputation beyond reputeStevuke79 has a reputation beyond reputeStevuke79 has a reputation beyond reputeStevuke79 has a reputation beyond reputeStevuke79 has a reputation beyond repute

iOS, Safari, iTunes, .. I don't want to pick on apple and I'm trying to think bad non-apple software.

I would have said windows but I find windows 7 to be the best operating system I've ever used.
Mozilla, (that may be the worst), power point presentations are the worst (power point has other uses though),..

This planet is now property of the Sontaran Empire. Surrender your women and intellectuals. -Commander Strax
Sponsored Links
Old 11-08-14, 11:05 AM

Thanked 1,550 Times in 932 Posts
Laserbeak is a splendid one to beholdLaserbeak is a splendid one to beholdLaserbeak is a splendid one to beholdLaserbeak is a splendid one to beholdLaserbeak is a splendid one to beholdLaserbeak is a splendid one to beholdLaserbeak is a splendid one to beholdLaserbeak is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobboW View Post
BTW, do you know that Linux and iOS are kind of similar?
Yes.

iOS is based on Mac OS X, and they both have a Berkeley Systems Distribution (BSD) UNIX-based subsystem. Linux is a free clone of UNIX. The main other branch is AT&T System V Release 4, which is what Solaris (Sun OS) is now built on (it used to be built on BSD too a long time ago).

She was told that it was. There was just a moment of silence before
the woman proceeded bravely on. "Well, I'm wondering, then, how serious my
condition is. This prescription is marked `NO REFILLS'".
The Following User Says Thank You to Laserbeak For This Useful Post:
aeon (03-12-17)
Old 11-08-14, 11:15 AM

Thanked 1,550 Times in 932 Posts
Laserbeak is a splendid one to beholdLaserbeak is a splendid one to beholdLaserbeak is a splendid one to beholdLaserbeak is a splendid one to beholdLaserbeak is a splendid one to beholdLaserbeak is a splendid one to beholdLaserbeak is a splendid one to beholdLaserbeak is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stevuke79 View Post
I would have said windows but I find windows 7 to be the best operating system I've ever used.
I don't understand how anyone can like any release of Windows. To me, they're all pure crap.

But to each his own, I still respect you.

She was told that it was. There was just a moment of silence before
the woman proceeded bravely on. "Well, I'm wondering, then, how serious my
condition is. This prescription is marked `NO REFILLS'".
Old 10-07-17, 11:11 PM

Thanked 14,983 Times in 6,694 Posts
aeon has a reputation beyond reputeaeon has a reputation beyond reputeaeon has a reputation beyond reputeaeon has a reputation beyond reputeaeon has a reputation beyond reputeaeon has a reputation beyond reputeaeon has a reputation beyond reputeaeon has a reputation beyond reputeaeon has a reputation beyond reputeaeon has a reputation beyond reputeaeon has a reputation beyond repute

Microsoft Internet Explorer.

The only thing that I ever use it for is to download Chrome right after I have installed Win7 or Win10.

---

I use Macs running Mac OS, PCs running Windows, and a PC running Linux at work. The Linux box just dutifully performs routine tasks, so I don't use it much after setting it up. Front office is mainly Macs, a few PCs (my computer is an ancient PC with upgrades running Win7Pro), and production is entirely Macs with the exception of a workflow server PC I built that run Windows Server 2008, and the control heads attached to various imaging devices. There's also a legacy system running SCO UNIX.

I manage and support them all.

And when needed, I help people with their iPhone or Android.

I have my preferences, and each system has things to recommend it, as well as things that make me swear.

But ultimately, they are tools to get work done, so as long as they are the right tools for the job and they obey and do my bidding, they are welcome.

---

I used to say Win7 4Evah, and I still think overall it is the best version of Windows.

That said, I am really starting to like Windows 10. Part of that is the OS...and part of that is the breathless performance of NVMe...it makes even a throttled dual-core i3 box a pleasure to use for office work, both typical and heavy.

---

I'm going to try to get an Intel Core 2 Quad Q9550S into my office PC. It's not supposed to work, but I think I can get it to work, even if that involves dirty work like hacking the BIOS. And if it doesn't work, I'm only out a few $, and I can probably resell the processor for no money lost. And if I brick the thing on account of flashing the BIOS or other tomfoolery, I will just say it died and get a new computer.

It's not a bad machine given its age, with its SSDs, nVidia GTX950, and gig NIC...but having addressed those issues, I have to try to upgrade a previous upgrade...the Core 2 Duo E8500 just doesn't cut it any longer. I'm hoping a Core 2 Quad will soothe me until there is money for a replacement.

---

So yeah, I rambled a bit. I just like computers of all shapes and sizes.

But I've always hated Microsoft Internet Explorer. It used to render poorly (that may have changed, I dont know), and for so long it was a security risk, and that has not changed.

And by association, Microsoft Edge has been summarily ignored.

MSIE...I just ******* hate it with a passion.

Cheers,
Ian
The Following User Says Thank You to aeon For This Useful Post:
OyVeyKitty (11-06-17)
Old 01-23-19, 05:05 AM

Shockcar is on a distinguished road

Most of these virus protection software, I find them to be very annoying.