ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > ADDF Lounge > Chit-Chat
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 04-29-11, 11:45 AM
Mod-A-holic

Thanked 33,094 Times in 15,350 Posts
sarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond repute
what exactly is a troll?

It someone who's mean? Or someone that asks pointless questions or posts controversial threads! I've heard people call someone a troll and one member pm'd me and called me a troll and I'm so foolish that I couldn't figure out if that was good or bad. Can you tell who's a troll and who's not?
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to sarahsweets For This Useful Post:
anonymouslyadd (04-30-11), Spacemaster (06-15-11)
Old 04-29-11, 11:52 AM
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate

Thanked 1,691 Times in 1,107 Posts
sighduck has a brilliant futuresighduck has a brilliant futuresighduck has a brilliant futuresighduck has a brilliant futuresighduck has a brilliant futuresighduck has a brilliant futuresighduck has a brilliant futuresighduck has a brilliant futuresighduck has a brilliant futuresighduck has a brilliant futuresighduck has a brilliant future
Re: what exactly is a troll?

A troll is someone who posts things just to get people agitated, they will post controversial topics or comments, make completely pointless statements that have nothing to do with the thread, or even resort to simple name calling just to get a reaction.... some trolls are quite amusing, and quite clever in what they do, while others are a simple pain in the rear end

some good examples of trolling can be found here http://artoftrolling.memebase.com/
Old 04-29-11, 11:57 AM
Registered

Thanked 17,760 Times in 8,903 Posts
Abi has a reputation beyond reputeAbi has a reputation beyond reputeAbi has a reputation beyond reputeAbi has a reputation beyond reputeAbi has a reputation beyond reputeAbi has a reputation beyond reputeAbi has a reputation beyond reputeAbi has a reputation beyond reputeAbi has a reputation beyond reputeAbi has a reputation beyond reputeAbi has a reputation beyond repute

A TROLL
The Following 15 Users Say Thank You to Abi For This Useful Post:
DeathMetal2000 (01-27-13), EYEFORGOT (05-01-11), feelthelie (10-23-11), hjajck (05-24-12), hypergirl96 (03-01-15), itsanADHDthing (07-31-12), LynneC (07-07-11), mirandatoritess (11-10-12), Offle (04-30-11), peripatetic (04-29-11), Phayah (04-29-11), qtjenna67 (11-08-14), sighduck (04-29-11), silivrentoliel (03-06-12), tudorose (07-24-11)
Sponsored Links
Old 04-29-11, 12:26 PM

Thanked 26,919 Times in 12,562 Posts
Lunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond repute

If you suspect someone is a troll - don't troll the troll. That doesn't make the troll look stupid, it makes you look stupid.

The admins have posted several warnings lately about the way members are treating some new posters. If you suspect someone is a troll - use the report button (red triangle in the top right corner of every post) and let the admins decide if the person is actually a troll and how to deal with the troll. If you can't wait, they have asked that you use the ignore button. To find the ignore button, click on User CP at the left side of the blue bar near the top of the screen. Scroll down to "setting & options" and at the bottom of that list is the ignore feature.

As far as I know, there is nothing positive about ADHD that people can't have w out ADHD. ~ ADD me
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Lunacie For This Useful Post:
anonymouslyadd (04-30-11), EYEFORGOT (05-01-11), peripatetic (04-29-11), tudorose (07-24-11)
Old 04-29-11, 12:45 PM
Mod-A-holic

sarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond repute

I don't think I would be the kind of person to judge a troll from a socially awkward person so I will just do my best.
EYEFORGOT (05-01-11), tudorose (07-24-11)
Old 04-29-11, 01:18 PM

Lunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarahsweets View Post
I don't think I would be the kind of person to judge a troll from a socially awkward person so I will just do my best.

That's why I leave it up to the admins when I suspect someone is deliberately trying to cause trouble. If I confront the person myself, all I'm doing is engaging them in more trolling if that's what they're doing, or adding to their already damaged self-esteem if they have a disorder or something.

As far as I know, there is nothing positive about ADHD that people can't have w out ADHD. ~ ADD me
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Lunacie For This Useful Post:
EYEFORGOT (05-01-11), Impromptu_DTour (04-29-11)
Old 04-29-11, 01:29 PM
Mod-A-holic

I don't think I would report a suspected troll to the mods either. I try and give people the benefit of the doubt I guess and since I now understand what a troll is if I thought someone was troll I would just ignore them.
EYEFORGOT (05-01-11), tudorose (07-24-11)
Old 04-29-11, 01:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarahsweets View Post
I don't think I would report a suspected troll to the mods either. I try and give people the benefit of the doubt I guess and since I now understand what a troll is if I thought someone was troll I would just ignore them.
The mods don't see everything. They rely on us using the report button to let them know when there's a possible problem. After I use the button I do my best to ignore the problem poster. Hopefully they will deal with the situation before some hothead turns a pathetic trolling post into a forum flamewar with posters feeling like they need to take sides.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Lunacie For This Useful Post:
EYEFORGOT (05-01-11), Impromptu_DTour (04-29-11)
Old 04-29-11, 02:41 PM

Thanked 3,048 Times in 1,382 Posts
shysmile has a reputation beyond reputeshysmile has a reputation beyond reputeshysmile has a reputation beyond reputeshysmile has a reputation beyond reputeshysmile has a reputation beyond reputeshysmile has a reputation beyond reputeshysmile has a reputation beyond reputeshysmile has a reputation beyond reputeshysmile has a reputation beyond reputeshysmile has a reputation beyond reputeshysmile has a reputation beyond repute

People who start arguments on forums or attack peoples emotions for pleasure so they can sit back and watch it unfold. Can't always jump to the conclusion that someone is a troll though.
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to shysmile For This Useful Post:
EYEFORGOT (05-01-11), hypergirl96 (03-01-15), metzfanaz (04-29-11), Offle (04-30-11), tudorose (07-24-11)
Old 04-29-11, 03:17 PM
Moderator of mind and heart

Thanked 21,303 Times in 8,615 Posts
sarek has a reputation beyond reputesarek has a reputation beyond reputesarek has a reputation beyond reputesarek has a reputation beyond reputesarek has a reputation beyond reputesarek has a reputation beyond reputesarek has a reputation beyond reputesarek has a reputation beyond reputesarek has a reputation beyond reputesarek has a reputation beyond reputesarek has a reputation beyond repute

A troll will put forward opinions and give answers of which it is not important to them that they actually reflect their own opinions, but only that they are seen by the audience as controversial and effective in provoking a reaction.
Old 04-29-11, 03:47 PM

sighduck has a brilliant futuresighduck has a brilliant futuresighduck has a brilliant futuresighduck has a brilliant futuresighduck has a brilliant futuresighduck has a brilliant futuresighduck has a brilliant futuresighduck has a brilliant futuresighduck has a brilliant futuresighduck has a brilliant futuresighduck has a brilliant future

so..... magnets, how do they work?

sorry, i just couldn't resist that....
Old 04-29-11, 03:51 PM

Thanked 1,477 Times in 780 Posts
tipoo has a brilliant futuretipoo has a brilliant futuretipoo has a brilliant futuretipoo has a brilliant futuretipoo has a brilliant futuretipoo has a brilliant futuretipoo has a brilliant futuretipoo has a brilliant futuretipoo has a brilliant futuretipoo has a brilliant futuretipoo has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by sighduck View Post

http://www.addforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=95677
Get in there
Old 04-29-11, 03:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tipoo View Post
I already have
Old 04-29-11, 04:51 PM
Mod-A-holic

Quote:
Originally Posted by shysmile View Post
People who start arguments on forums or attack peoples emotions for pleasure so they can sit back and watch it unfold. Can't always jump to the conclusion that someone is a troll though.
Although on the flip side sometimes what I think are heated debates others vIew as arguements
Old 04-29-11, 05:50 PM

Thanked 5,039 Times in 3,008 Posts
metzfanaz has a brilliant futuremetzfanaz has a brilliant futuremetzfanaz has a brilliant futuremetzfanaz has a brilliant futuremetzfanaz has a brilliant futuremetzfanaz has a brilliant futuremetzfanaz has a brilliant futuremetzfanaz has a brilliant futuremetzfanaz has a brilliant futuremetzfanaz has a brilliant futuremetzfanaz has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by sighduck View Post

If there's anyone that knows magnets, I'd trust a clown.
I'm right below the horizon"

- Boss Of Me ~ TMBG
Closed Thread