ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > TREATMENT & MANAGEMENT > Medications > Vyvanse
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Vyvanse (lisdexamfetamine dimesylate)

Old 07-19-11, 10:52 PM

s10sleeper is on a distinguished road
Vyvanse and hot weather

I am now on my 5th day of taking Vyvanse currently starting at 30mg a day. Anyways, I returned to work today, in a warehouse that is air conditioned yet still gets warm. I do alot of moving around, up and down stairs and constant lifting all afternoon. Today it hit over 105 and for the rest of the week we are under an excessive heat warning with temperatures hitting around 110 and high humidity.

Anyways, I was a little curious about this as I have figured that stimulants and hot weather are not a good idea, is there any concerns I should have at work? I do try to drink as much water as possible, but with constant moving around it is impossible to keep my water beside me at all times.

Has anyone else dealt with manual labor in heat while on this med? if so, I was wondering how the extreme heat should be handled.
Old 07-20-11, 09:43 AM

runningman is on a distinguished road
Re: Vyvanse and hot weather

You've already hit on the most important thing: drink water. Of course, if you feel faint or ill, you should take it easy, and talk to your doctor. But in my experience, the water will help a lot.

If you still feel like you're overheating, I recommend this thing which is great for hiking/running in extreme heat: http://www.kooltie.com/ It'll work ESPECIALLY well if the AC at your job is pulling humidity out of the air.

Good luck!
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to runningman For This Useful Post:
Alex9 (07-24-11), s10sleeper (07-20-11)
Old 07-23-11, 05:55 PM
ADDvanced Member

BalanceisKey is on a distinguished road

yeah dude drink plenty of water and try to eat plenty it will be even worse if your really hungry and got that low blood sugar going on. ive done roofing in extreme heat like that on vyvanse and nothing bad happened to me but i went through like 15 water bottles lol
Sponsored Links
Old 07-24-11, 04:45 PM

Yeah, I carry a huge insulated cup to work with me, and I put in a little gatorade powder to keep up my sodium levels, but that is from a different med.
Old 07-24-11, 08:39 PM
Contributor

Alex9 is just really niceAlex9 is just really niceAlex9 is just really niceAlex9 is just really nice

As others have correctly pointed out, dehydration is your main concern. Stimulants can cause dehydration; I know that I have to drink a ton of water when I'm on any stimulant or else I'll start to get dehydrated fairly quickly. When you combine stimulants and hot weather you are increasing the probability of dehydration occurring, but there's no real danger. I've mowed my lawn in hot weather several times on both adderall and vyvanse and I've never had any problems.

You might have some logistical concerns though.

1. Can you drink enough water while you're on the job?

2. Heavy water intake causes frequent urination. Are there any problems that could arise from needing to use the bathroom more frequently while at work?
Old 07-26-11, 02:23 AM

As far as bathroom breaks go, i have no worries about that, I am able to use the restroom whenever. The biggest problem is hauling water around to all of the areas as there are 2 floors and 4 zones where everything is located, and so to get to the water fountain or to my cup requires me to walk down the stairs and across the warehouse.

Luckily this week has started out good, much less sweating and my headaches have diminished, I just got a small one when everything got real busy and I was having to bust my tail to get all the orders pulled. That happens from around 5-6 as all of the stores love to call in their big stock orders at the last minute resulting in us having to hurry in order to get out by 6:30. The long stock orders are my biggest problem there anyways as they are extremely monotonous, usually have about 4 pages of parts to pull, easy to do, just long and boring.

Anyways, I am thinking that I am getting used to the meds.