ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > ADULTS AND ADD/ADHD > Careers/Job Impact
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Careers/Job Impact This forum is for adults to discuss how AD/HD affects work and career.

Old 09-27-11, 10:57 AM
ADDvanced Forum Guru

Thanked 1,034 Times in 461 Posts
Etcetera has much to be proud ofEtcetera has much to be proud ofEtcetera has much to be proud ofEtcetera has much to be proud ofEtcetera has much to be proud ofEtcetera has much to be proud ofEtcetera has much to be proud ofEtcetera has much to be proud of
And then it hits you... (Any social workers?)

... Well, maybe not so much as hitting. It's more of a... tapping. Very slightly. Can barely feel it.

Now, enough with the cryptic talk.

First question first: Are there any social workers here? Or ex-social workers? Or people who know what it really takes to be a GOOD social worker? Bar what you may learn in school anyway.

Second question... And a bit more than just that.

Hi, my name is... Etcetera (yes, you guessed it!). Currently hyper on meds and a bit too much caffeine. This is due to my cold, I never really respond to my meds this badly. I apologize for this nervous way of being.

Either how. I have, as probably a lot of you, encountered many social workers in my life. At school. Unemployment agencies. Unions...
And I've always had this thing, when I was talking to one of them, my mind would wander. Wander on how much I'd love to be them. Helping people. Being able to help people. Listen to people and just offer them what they need the most. I never thought much about it, except that I did consider it, but thought I shouldn't do it.

- I'm not the type of person that has been in many organizations such as the Scouts (or anything similar) or has even be a volunteer.
- I do have a wandering mind when having normal conversations with people.
- I can't even get my own **** together, let alone someone else's.

However, today, I was discussing with my mom again, about my gran. Long story short, I thought back of the time where, for a school assignment, I had to go to a retirement home where the elder (who still are able to live at their houses) can be during the day, have some coffee, eat a cookie, talk to each other about their kids and whatnot. Even get special gym (think of: lift your feet two centimeters of the ground-kind of gym). I felt... good there. I loved to see how these people were actually having the times of their lives. How much it meant to them. How much that person there meant to them.

How much my social worker at school had meant FOR ME. She was important to me. She'd listen to me, without being judgmental. She would understand me.

And lately, with my boyfriend, with this lady on the street with the dog I sometimes see, or even people who used to be in my life: I understand that I can listen. That I can pick up on small leads. That I do want to help people.

Another plus-side, if it wouldn't work out to be a social worker in that sense of the word, I can fall back on a Bachelor's in Social Work combined with quite some experience in administration (yes, funny that, I actually love administration. Just wish I wasn't so damn ADHD about it). Could always end up in better administrative jobs or even HR (I mean, the administrative side of it.)

So, why do I think I'd make a good social worker?
- I genuinely want to help people.
- I'm not judgmental.
- When I get the feeling I can help someone, it pokes my interest and makes me able to listen
- I do "understand" administration
- I actually do "want to make the world a better place" (which is both good and bad, I guess)

But, I can be quite anxious. I can be downright blunt (but that, again, seems to vanish into thin air when this "helping you"-side of me comes out).

Third question: How easy is it to go from one side of social work to another? With that, I mean, say that I would start... in a home. Or a hospital. What if I all of a sudden am dreaded with old people (I know from my mom how "mean" certain old people can be and how it wears you out and can turn you into a bitter git after a while) and decide I want to work in a school... And maybe, some time later, I've had it with spoiled brats and want to do something for the mentally disabled (in, for instance, a special work environment or guided living,...). Or at an unemployment center... Or for the poor... (So much options, guess one of the reasons why it does appeal to me)

I'm quite certain I had a fourth question... I'll just have to ask it when I think about it. Either how, my goal is to help people, so if it would turn out I'd only make things worse, I'd obviously choose something else.

Very well. I just announced to the world one of my secrets. Be gentle.
Arei (09-29-11)
Old 09-27-11, 11:27 AM
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate

Thanked 4,317 Times in 1,871 Posts
pechemignonne has a reputation beyond reputepechemignonne has a reputation beyond reputepechemignonne has a reputation beyond reputepechemignonne has a reputation beyond reputepechemignonne has a reputation beyond reputepechemignonne has a reputation beyond reputepechemignonne has a reputation beyond reputepechemignonne has a reputation beyond reputepechemignonne has a reputation beyond reputepechemignonne has a reputation beyond reputepechemignonne has a reputation beyond repute
Re: And then it hits you... (Any social workers?)

From what you've said, I think you would make an excellent social worker. I have worked with social workers and the best ones have the qualities you describe: tons of empathy and the energy to navigate red tape to help someone else.

As for switching domains, I get the impression that social work is a fairly loose field. I think that the more experience you get in a particular area to easier it is to find that kind of work. Like if you have 10 years experience working with youth it might be easier to get another similar job than it would be to switch to working with the elderly. But that doesn't mean its impossible, and I think a lot of people do it.

You can even (depending on what the restrictions are in your area) open up a private therapy practice with an MSW.

Best of luck!!

"I find a duck's opinion of me is very much influenced by whether or not I have bread. Ducks love bread, but they can't buy any. That's the biggest joke on the duck ever."
Mitch Hedberg

"You would be the world's worst ninja."
Pechemignonne's boyfriend
Old 09-27-11, 03:02 PM
ADDvanced Forum Guru

Kirby Albee has disabled reputation

I'm not one, but I'll likely be taking it in school soon if I can get through the getting-into-school process.

Sponsored Links
Old 09-27-11, 03:33 PM
ADDvanced Contributor

dsvlil1 has much to be proud ofdsvlil1 has much to be proud ofdsvlil1 has much to be proud ofdsvlil1 has much to be proud ofdsvlil1 has much to be proud ofdsvlil1 has much to be proud ofdsvlil1 has much to be proud ofdsvlil1 has much to be proud of

You sounds like you have all the right traits for a good social worker.
It's pretty easy to change between styles of social work (there is a high burnout rate for some sectors)- I'm not and never have been a social worker but my ex is one.

Depending on the field it can be emotionally taxing, and sometimes the beurocracy behind the services can really get in the way of being able to do a good job. But it's a job that can be very rewarding for those suited to it.

The value of a thing lies not in what one attains with it but it what it one pays for it, what it costs us- Nietzsche
Old 09-28-11, 11:10 AM
ADDvanced Forum Guru

Thanked 1,034 Times in 461 Posts
Etcetera has much to be proud ofEtcetera has much to be proud ofEtcetera has much to be proud ofEtcetera has much to be proud ofEtcetera has much to be proud ofEtcetera has much to be proud ofEtcetera has much to be proud ofEtcetera has much to be proud of

I've decided to just go for it. Even if it turns out I'm not cut out to be a social worker, the Bachelor's degree will help me, since I do have experience in administration already.

Any kind of Bachelor's degree will aid me already in gaining a better job at administration. And if if, with just a year extra, I can then decide to get a Bachelor more suited for administration. (Which I'd rather not do, because the languages scare me. Funny, because I speak all three languages day in, day out, still, French courses scare me.)

Unless anyone has any valid reasons as to why I shouldn't do it... I can handle the truth. I'm actually, for once, asking for the truth.
Old 09-29-11, 01:51 AM
Contributor

Arei is a name known to allArei is a name known to allArei is a name known to allArei is a name known to allArei is a name known to allArei is a name known to all

Go for it. I also would like to go to school to be a social worker or counselor, and I think you have some of the same drives I do for wanting to go into that line of work. Though I agree with others that have posted that it will be challenging, and emotionally taxing at times, but if it is your passion to help others then you should find it rewarding.