ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > ADULTS AND ADD/ADHD > Adults with ADD > General ADD Talk
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Old 01-12-17, 11:01 AM
Contributor

john2100 is a splendid one to beholdjohn2100 is a splendid one to beholdjohn2100 is a splendid one to beholdjohn2100 is a splendid one to beholdjohn2100 is a splendid one to beholdjohn2100 is a splendid one to beholdjohn2100 is a splendid one to behold
Re: What are the advantages of having ADHD?

After over 100 posts that this tread has I think I could sum this up.

I'll do my best to be objective.

It appears that finding advantages of having ADHD seems to be extremely difficult. The only advantage that seems to be repeatedly quoted by experts may be a superior creativity and unique , problem solving skills that appears to go beyond a simple intuition of non -ADHD people . We have no scientific research to support this superior skill set as compered to non -adhd people , but some expert's observations suggest , that it appears to be true..

Having this superior creativity , we should have been able to come up easily with more advantages of having ADHD, but we have failed to do so , which should make us doubt even more all the suggestions about our superior creativity.

We can easily make a list of all the negatives, as it requires no creativity, only simple observation of our lives. We should be able just as easily come up with all the advantages ,but unfortunately we have failed to do so.

This doesn't imply in any way that adhd people are inferior , only different. I think we can do anything that non-adhd people can do , but the effort to achieve is much greater. This forces up to work harder then non-adhd people.

The only advantage which is also a disadvantage of having ADHD is the realization of necessity of hard work combined with our modified-special ways to complete even the smallest task.

Advantage of knowing that hard work is the only way achieve anything as adhd person : -Habit of hard work builds resilience and should produces results.

Disadvantage of knowing that hard work is the only way to achieve anything as adhd person :
- this realization making adhd people feel many times anxiety , fear , depression, self doubt and procrastination .
The Following User Says Thank You to john2100 For This Useful Post:
ginniebean (01-12-17)
Old 01-12-17, 11:22 AM
The Von Kaiser of Moderators

Johnny Slick is a glorious beacon of lightJohnny Slick is a glorious beacon of lightJohnny Slick is a glorious beacon of lightJohnny Slick is a glorious beacon of lightJohnny Slick is a glorious beacon of light

I am *not* chiding the people who have a difference of opinion with me about whether or not there are silver linings to the cloud of ADHD. That being said, I think that one of the big things that grows out of ADHD, particularly undiagnosed ADHD, is that you wind up carrying a lot of self-hate and unwarranted self-criticism on your shoulders. Out of that comes, quite a bit of the time, a pretty negative outlook on the world and all of the cynicism and misanthropy that that often comes with.

And I'm not even saying that this is necessarily inaccurate! The one thing that we have in common is that we all live with a mental condition whose origin is still largely unknown but whose symptoms manifest themselves in a series of pretty repeatable, obvious ways. We're all going to deal with that differently and there is no right or wrong way to do so. The one thing I'd ask about the "naysayers" (which is not the term I'd use but it's been used by y'all) is that you consider that for some of us we see the attempt to ferret out the (sometimes small) advantages of ADHD is the harder road to travel and that alone makes it worthwhile for us.

I do have to take exception to this:

Quote:
We can easily make a list of all the negatives, as it requires no creativity, only simple observation of our lives.
Nope, ********. It takes exactly as much creativity to observe the bad things in our lives as it does the good. 100% the same amount.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Johnny Slick For This Useful Post:
ginniebean (01-12-17), psychopathetic (01-19-17)
Old 01-12-17, 12:35 PM
Mod-A-holic

Thanked 33,094 Times in 15,350 Posts
sarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
I do have to take exception to this:

Nope, ********. It takes exactly as much creativity to observe the bad things in our lives as it does the good. 100% the same amount.
I dont know if I would go as far as calling bull sh*t on John's point but I agree with your sentiment. I think living with the perils and sometimes devastating effects of adhd could then make it easier to make that list of the bad things. Maybe not easy but our minds have been like bad neighborhoods for so long its like we cant seem to 100% pull ourselves out of them.

But I truly think the negatives are easier to list because of how much we have heard our whole lives about what good-for-nothings we are.
JMO

I carried a watermelon?
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to sarahsweets For This Useful Post:
ginniebean (01-12-17), Lunacie (01-12-17)
Sponsored Links
Old 01-12-17, 12:36 PM

Johnny Slick is a glorious beacon of lightJohnny Slick is a glorious beacon of lightJohnny Slick is a glorious beacon of lightJohnny Slick is a glorious beacon of lightJohnny Slick is a glorious beacon of light

Yeah, that is a much more accurate way of putting it, I agree. I don't think it's a creativity issue.
The Following User Says Thank You to Johnny Slick For This Useful Post:
ginniebean (01-12-17)
Old 01-12-17, 12:44 PM
Mod-A-holic

Thanked 33,094 Times in 15,350 Posts
sarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mantaray14 View Post
I think that saying ADD people are inferior to neuro-typicals just reinforcing a stereotype against yourself other atypical personality types.
Could it be that the stereotype exists because there could be some truth to it? At least being made to feel inferior vs actually being inferior would be possible.
Quote:
Does Temple-grandin think that she would be able empathize with animals the way she did if she was neuro-typical? I belive not. My wife is mildly bipolar and she has accomplished more (coming from nothing), than just about anyone I know. Joan of Arc was thought to be Bipolar and possibly Napoleon. Their executive function is almost superhuman when they r on. An add type can learn a lot from them.
Again, with the lists of well known people that supposedly had adhd cant be verified in most cases.

Quote:
That being said there are people with all disorders who cannot function, and I wouldn't wish Autism on anyone.
Just a side note- I think what you said could be taken the wrong way by some here on the spectrum. Not saying I do, because I get what you meant but I know we have some sensitive souls here on addf.

Quote:
Bi-polar can also be devastating (my wife's sister was diagnosed, and she was institutionalized for a while). A lot of come down to some interaction between and genes and enviorment IMO. So I get it why many feel this way, and I emphasize with them.
As someone with bipolar I can really identify with this statement. Whats important to note is that with proper treatment life is a hell of a lot easier.

Quote:
But at the same time there are many people with these diverse neural makeups who are in the functional area (over 10% of children w/ add dx, no way they r all considered disabled, I don't care what anyone on this forum says)
But adhd is a disability- at least at its core. The impairments can be managed in a lot of cases but it is very disabling and is considered an 'official' disability.
Quote:
and they don't deserve to be treated as inferior because it serves no useful purpose for them. But trusts me some Neuro typicals will walk all over you and attempt to instill an inferiority complex in you. So first priority for any functional add person is to overcome that fear and feeling of inferiority and this mindset is counterproductive to that end. You need to be strong to make it if your atypical - someone will always be coming after you, but theres a reason for that...because deep down they r threatened by you... I wonder why.?
Why do you think disability means inferiority?

Quote:
I haven't checked this forum in ages but I see it's the same old argument, that's pretty much all I have to say!
This might be true and sorry to see you duck out on this one.

I carried a watermelon?
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to sarahsweets For This Useful Post:
Old 01-12-17, 01:24 PM
Contributor

john2100 is a splendid one to beholdjohn2100 is a splendid one to beholdjohn2100 is a splendid one to beholdjohn2100 is a splendid one to beholdjohn2100 is a splendid one to beholdjohn2100 is a splendid one to beholdjohn2100 is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
It takes exactly as much creativity to observe the bad things in our lives as it does the good. 100% the same amount.
Let's assume you are right, then you are proving the point that there aren't too many positives as creativity is the only one being mentioned.

I don't think it takes any creativity at all to list good or bad.
To list advantages or disadvantages of adhd simply requires observation .

Wouldn't it better if we tried to recommend ways to enhance,develop and focus our current level of creativity ,rather then believe in its superiority?
It almost looks like we could remove enhancement of creativity from our list as it is already superior.

I'm not trying to argue , I'm not negative or positive. I'm trying to be as neutral as possible ,simply looking at evidence. Don;t you think I would be happy if I knew that there was a chance I had this superior creativity ?

But we have no proof or indication of creative being superior ,only some observations and anecdotal evidence.

As I mentioned before,statistics are important and we tend to trust them and use them .
let say regarding adhd and learning difficulty. We gladly use the statistics .

Why is it that statistics are not required when making such statements? If not statistics then , we should be able to observe it in our daily lives , or even here on the forum.

How are experts able to observe that superiority ,yet even if you come on this forum where people genuinely wanna help each other, without any need for $ compensation or recognition, many times we simply ,collectively can't solve more difficult issue. Many are trying genuinely help , from moderators to daily -users, but even that is sometimes not enough.

It,is ok to believe it,if it helps you , but if you can't show the results, then it is more damaging then beneficial.
Making progress in development of creativity , feels much better and is much more rewarding then simply believing you have it .
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to john2100 For This Useful Post:
Old 01-12-17, 02:00 PM
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate

Thanked 21,938 Times in 7,993 Posts
ginniebean has a reputation beyond reputeginniebean has a reputation beyond reputeginniebean has a reputation beyond reputeginniebean has a reputation beyond reputeginniebean has a reputation beyond reputeginniebean has a reputation beyond reputeginniebean has a reputation beyond reputeginniebean has a reputation beyond reputeginniebean has a reputation beyond reputeginniebean has a reputation beyond reputeginniebean has a reputation beyond repute

John, people with adhd are known to be divergent thinkers, this has both it's good and bad notes. It's what makes us take ten steps when only two are required but by not following the broken path, sometimes something quite creative can happen.

From wikipedia

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Divergent_thinking

Traits associated with divergent thinking

Quote:
Psychologists
Quote:
have found that a high IQ alone does not guarantee creativity. Instead, personality traits that promote divergent thinking are more important. Divergent thinking is found among people with personality traits such as nonconformity, curiosity, willingness to take risks, and persistence.
Persistence would be the fly in that ointment. There may be plenty of this ointment around but with flies in it? who wants it?
The Following User Says Thank You to ginniebean For This Useful Post:
Lunacie (01-12-17)
Old 01-12-17, 03:45 PM

Quote:
I don't think it takes any creativity at all to list good or bad.
To list advantages or disadvantages of adhd simply requires observation .
This is mostly my point. It doesn't take creativity to list *things*. It does take creativity or at least a bit of mental work to sort out which things are worth mentioning and which are not and then to box them into good or bad. Just because a lot of us have already done that mental work with a lot of the negatives a long time previously does not mean that that mental work was not done.
Old 01-12-17, 04:10 PM
Contributor

Quote:
John, people with adhd are known to be divergent thinkers, this has both it's good and bad notes. It's what makes us take ten steps when only two are required but by not following the broken path, sometimes something quite creative can happen.
So ,thaaaaat's what is it called. I don't know if I should be happy or sad, that there is even a name for it. And I thought I was just lucky/unlucky to have it.
ginniebean (01-12-17)
Old 01-12-17, 04:11 PM
Banned

Letching Gray has much to be proud ofLetching Gray has much to be proud ofLetching Gray has much to be proud ofLetching Gray has much to be proud ofLetching Gray has much to be proud ofLetching Gray has much to be proud ofLetching Gray has much to be proud ofLetching Gray has much to be proud of

ADHD's trademark hyperfocus is a serious advantage — if you can effectively channel all that attention and energy into work that makes a difference. “Many scientists, writers, and artists with ADD have had very successful careers, in large part because of their ability to focus on what they’re doing for hours on end,” says Kathleen Nadeau, Ph.D.

ADHD isn’t always a walk in the park, and we've all faced our share of disappointments and embarrassments over the years. But ADHDers excel at pushing past setbacks, adapting new strategies, and moving forward better than ever. As Linda Roggli said, “We see the light at the end of the darkest tunnel. We pick ourselves up off the sidewalk when we fall. We smile through our tears.”

A Sparkling Personality
ADHDers are bright, creative, and funny — often using self-depreciating humor to remind that world that perfection is wholly uninteresting. They’ve faced challenges, learned novel ways to manage their symptoms, and developed a sense of humility and self-respect along the way. All these traits add up to a person that is a pleasure to be around, and brightens others’ days with her warmth.

Barbara, an ADDitude reader from Virginia, writes that the thing she loves most about her son is “his generosity and his desire to please those he cares about. He is so protective of his younger sister.” ADHDers love to make people happy, whether it’s by sharing a cookie or inviting a friend to cry on their shoulder.

We're able to harness that ADHD creativity in strange and wonderful ways. ADDitude contributor Linda Roggli struggled with filing her papers alphabetically. So she came up with her own system. “The associations in my head are one-of-a-kind,” she says. “If my brain thinks of life insurance policies and bicycle warranties the same way, that’s how I file them. When I return to that folder, I’ll find them both.” Whatever works for us, right?

After living with accommodations — or perhaps struggling without them — ADHDers know that “fair” doesn’t always mean “equal.” They understand that different people need different things to succeed, and they’re committed to helping whomever they can.

Thomas Edison — who probably had ADHD — put all his efforts toward inventing the light bulb, even when it seemed impossible. In the end, it took him more than 3,000 tries before he made a functioning light bulb, but the victory was immeasurably sweet because he had to risk a lot — and fail even more — to make it work.

As ADDitude blogger Allison Larkin points out, “Acting on impulse sometimes results in wonderful things.” A totally unplanned drive to New England in the middle of a snowstorm brought her to the town she would fall in love with, and later move to. Find out what your spontaneity can do for you!

Well-adjusted ADHDers have learned to use humor to cope with difficult situations, great and small. Need proof? Head over to Allison Larkin’s “Attention! Different DNA” blog to see how this comedienne uses humor to deal with life’s challenges.

“Spontaneity, outside-the-box creativity, and heightened energy” — all traits of ADHDers — “add pizzazz to romantic interludes.” ADHD adults are known for showering their partners with affection — and forever believing in the power of love, even when their relationships hit a bump in the road.

One thing is certain — with ADHD, there’s never a quiet moment! Your constantly racing brain is always leading you toward new topics of discussion and questions of great import; awkward lulls in the conversation are virtually nonexistent.

A few of the positives we possess according to the ADDitude website
The Following User Says Thank You to Letching Gray For This Useful Post:
ginniebean (01-12-17)
Old 01-12-17, 04:22 PM
Contributor

Quote:
This is mostly my point. It doesn't take creativity to list *things*. It does take creativity or at least a bit of mental work to sort out which things are worth mentioning and which are not and then to box them into good or bad. Just because a lot of us have already done that mental work with a lot of the negatives a long time previously does not mean that that mental work was not done.
Yes, I agree It's not all black , there are some positives in life as general.
But that is little bit of topic,which was:

What are the advantages of having ADHD

That implies things that only adhd people can do or presence of superior skills or abilities when compered to non-ADHD people.

So if I said , I was able to acquire superior organization skills because I have ADHD, that would not be an advantage that OP was talking about.

I was forced by my condition to acquire those skills in order to function in society, but I could teach a non -ADHD person to be equally organized if not better.

Just as a deaf person can't claim an advantage against healthy people because they can use a sign language.
ginniebean (01-12-17)
Old 01-12-17, 04:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by john2100 View Post
Yes, I agree It's not all black , there are some positives in life as general.
But that is little bit of topic,which was:

What are the advantages of having ADHD

That implies things that only adhd people can do or presence of superior skills or abilities when compered to non-ADHD people.

So if I said , I was able to acquire superior organization skills because I have ADHD, that would not be an advantage that OP was talking about.

I was forced by my condition to acquire those skills in order to function in society, but I could teach a non -ADHD person to be equally organized if not better.

Just as a deaf person can't claim an advantage against healthy people because they can use a sign language.
https://www.verywell.com/deaf-fun-gl...e-deaf-1046242
The Following User Says Thank You to Johnny Slick For This Useful Post:
ginniebean (01-12-17)
Old 01-12-17, 04:34 PM
Contributor

Quote:
awkward lulls in the conversation are virtually nonexistent.
Not necessarily, You should have seen my last date.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to john2100 For This Useful Post:
ginniebean (01-12-17), Letching Gray (01-12-17), Lunacie (01-12-17)
Old 01-12-17, 08:14 PM
Banned

Letching Gray has much to be proud ofLetching Gray has much to be proud ofLetching Gray has much to be proud ofLetching Gray has much to be proud ofLetching Gray has much to be proud ofLetching Gray has much to be proud ofLetching Gray has much to be proud ofLetching Gray has much to be proud of

I never knew we were conversationalists before today, but that is exactly what I am. Amazing. I almost always stimulate the conversation when others are new to a situation and are reluctant to speak. How did these specialists in ADHD know me/us so well? Our characteristics are so clearly established among these leaders in this field, it is mind boggling.

It seems odd to me that while posting on an "ADHD in adults" website that few recognize or acknowledge the positive aspects of the ADHD personality. I'm surprised we don't click.
Old 01-12-17, 08:44 PM
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate

Thanked 26,924 Times in 12,563 Posts
Lunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Letching Gray View Post
I never knew we were conversationalists before today, but that is exactly what I am. Amazing. I almost always stimulate the conversation when others are new to a situation and are reluctant to speak. How did these specialists in ADHD know me/us so well? Our characteristics are so clearly established among these leaders in this field, it is mind boggling.

It seems odd to me that while posting on an "ADHD in adults" website that few recognize or acknowledge the positive aspects of the ADHD personality. I'm surprised we don't click.
I would be surprised to learn that's actually a widespread trait of ADHD.

Judging from this forum, there are a few who regularly start threads, a bunch who rarely start them but often respond, and a really big bunch who only read.

I'm not so good at starting conversations, or threads.

As far as I know, there is nothing positive about ADHD that people can't have w out ADHD. ~ ADD me
The Following User Says Thank You to Lunacie For This Useful Post:
Letching Gray (01-12-17)