ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > ADULTS AND ADD/ADHD > Adults with ADD > General ADD Talk
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Old 09-11-19, 10:12 PM
Contributor

Lloyd_ is a glorious beacon of lightLloyd_ is a glorious beacon of lightLloyd_ is a glorious beacon of lightLloyd_ is a glorious beacon of lightLloyd_ is a glorious beacon of lightLloyd_ is a glorious beacon of light
Re: What are the advantages of having ADHD?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fraser_0762 View Post
To say that there is absolutely no upsides whatsoever is a complete fib
If you say so

But if there were lets say some upsides the downsides outweigh any good whatsoever...

I'm sure if 99.9% of the posters on this forum would choose to have non ADD/LD dysfuctional brain if given the chance, you would choose as well.
Old 09-11-19, 10:18 PM
ADDvanced Member

Drogheda98 has a spectacular aura aboutDrogheda98 has a spectacular aura about

hyperfocus
Old 09-12-19, 11:34 AM
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate

Thanked 26,918 Times in 12,561 Posts
Lunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drogheda98 View Post
hyperfocus
If (very big IF) we could control our hyperfocus, use it when we chose to,
switch to another task easily, then it could be considered an advantage.
But it just doesn't work that way most of the time.

As far as I know, there is nothing positive about ADHD that people can't have w out ADHD. ~ ADD me
Sponsored Links
Old 10-18-19, 05:38 PM
e-(((hug))) extraordinaire!

Thanked 16,053 Times in 7,968 Posts
psychopathetic has a reputation beyond reputepsychopathetic has a reputation beyond reputepsychopathetic has a reputation beyond reputepsychopathetic has a reputation beyond reputepsychopathetic has a reputation beyond reputepsychopathetic has a reputation beyond reputepsychopathetic has a reputation beyond reputepsychopathetic has a reputation beyond reputepsychopathetic has a reputation beyond reputepsychopathetic has a reputation beyond reputepsychopathetic has a reputation beyond repute

Lack of motivation.
Being late all the time.
Low self esteem.
Feeling inadequate.
Shame.
Not being able to finish projects.
Getting super into hobbies...then quitting them like they never meant a thing.
Feeling like I don't belong.
Not having a lot of "get up and go".
Bouts of depression.
Chronic procrastination.

I sure do love my ADD!
<3

(((((((MOM)))))))
I Miss You.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to psychopathetic For This Useful Post:
Greyhound1 (10-18-19), Lunacie (Yesterday)
Old 10-18-19, 07:08 PM
Mind Racing Moderator

Thanked 16,348 Times in 7,820 Posts
Greyhound1 has a reputation beyond reputeGreyhound1 has a reputation beyond reputeGreyhound1 has a reputation beyond reputeGreyhound1 has a reputation beyond reputeGreyhound1 has a reputation beyond reputeGreyhound1 has a reputation beyond reputeGreyhound1 has a reputation beyond reputeGreyhound1 has a reputation beyond reputeGreyhound1 has a reputation beyond reputeGreyhound1 has a reputation beyond reputeGreyhound1 has a reputation beyond repute

I love going to the Dr. each mos. just to pickup a new script to get my medication.

Feeling judged at some pharmacies for being a drug addict is great!

Having some family members that donít believe ADHD is serious nor does it really afflict me is wonderful!

I feel so privileged to have ADHD.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Greyhound1 For This Useful Post:
Little Missy (10-18-19), Lunacie (Yesterday), psychopathetic (10-18-19)
Old Yesterday, 01:38 AM
ADDvanced Member

benito is on a distinguished road

WITH THE RIGHT MEDICATION:

I am able to focus on one thing and forget about the rest.

My mood is good, I am stable, I think more than the rest of the people who do not have ADHD.

I have more energy than other people when facing a task or making decisions.

I am more organized than other people because I have learned strategies for the organization (I take schelude up to date, it is a compensation that makes me very effective).

I am motivated towards work, even more than other people who do not have ADHD. I am effective in my work.

I understand people who have problems better. I am more empathetic. We like to help others.

I do sports with fair regularity (without obsessing myself, for health).

I have a great ability to see things from another point of view. Great ability to analyze the situation and search for alternatives.

The ability to hyperfocus.

These are some of the things that I think are better. In general, people who have ADHD tend to belittle us (many years thinking that, hard to change), but actually, if we stop to think for a moment, we have many positive things that we can be proud of.

I think that keeping a personal diary in which to write down the positive things that happen to us throughout the day is very important: I do it every night or in the morning before going to work (sometimes I can't do it for the time, but I I try daily). This also helps me with my memory too.

The internal dialogue is very important, the things we tell ourselves, how we talk to ourselves. Psychological therapy is very important for a person with ADHD. It is a great reinforcement that helps us to relativize things, without giving it so much importance. I recommend to all those who are only taking medications, to try with psychological help (without leaving the drugs). My life has changed a lot since I went to therapy. I am treated with cognitive behavioral therapy (I think it is the best for us). We need a person who is directive and who sets us guidelines for our lives (goals, how to reach them...).

I hope this helps some of you. I would like.

Hugs.
The Following User Says Thank You to benito For This Useful Post:
psychopathetic (Yesterday)
Old Yesterday, 01:52 AM
ADDvanced Member

benito is on a distinguished road

Important too. Talking here in the forum. Talking with people with the same problems helps a lot. I don't have a support group in my city, but if there was, I would go to that group without thinking. What I do notice (I don't know if it's my perception), is that in this forum the participation has dropped a lot. The topics are left many times to finish, there is not much feedback. I would like that if you have tried to help someone, that person will answer with a yes, you have helped me, or not, I am still wrong. That would give the forum more dynamism and people would be more supported. It is only a small objection, not a negative criticism. This forum helps me a lot.
The Following User Says Thank You to benito For This Useful Post:
psychopathetic (Yesterday)