ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > ADULTS AND ADD/ADHD > Adults with ADD > General ADD Talk
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Old 09-05-19, 08:10 PM
Contributor

Lloyd_ is a glorious beacon of lightLloyd_ is a glorious beacon of lightLloyd_ is a glorious beacon of lightLloyd_ is a glorious beacon of lightLloyd_ is a glorious beacon of lightLloyd_ is a glorious beacon of light
There is no escape from this

The 'strategies' we learn over the years is just a means to cope with having ADD or some learning disability, it never really goes away and anyone to tell you there is no real future are the liars, a mundane existence struggling with finances and relationships or living on SSDI, I for one have considered checking out for good when looking at the future and knowing society and the established order will never accept you and are considered an anomaly, they laugh and mock you if you're somehow intellectually challenged, so called friends and family which makes me wonder why the hell would I even want to have children or raise a family when likely I'll pass my curse down to my progeny and a spouse with garbage inlaws that look at you as a net drain but I can't even hold down a relationship, yes she finds you weird, socially awkward and outright creepy as everyone has a cheap laugh at your expense. More power to you if this is the fate you accept, I don't and never have and never will even back when in school I had to go to 'LD' classes, I never wanted to be associated as being LD, because I've known that truth from the beginning I'm not like the other kids when all I've wanted was a normal life being able to keep up the pace in academics and in all other aspects.

There is no way out until I meet my maker, until then here I sit where it becomes increasingly damn impossible to deal with these truths as hopefully that day I meet my maker comes sooner than later. Anyone who feels the same way is more than welcomed to message me privately, I would like to talk. Also, I'm not going to do anything rash after typing this as some will obviously conclude after reading this.

I'm just being upfront, that is all.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Lloyd_ For This Useful Post:
Kat054 (09-18-19), mrzyphl (09-05-19)
Old 09-05-19, 09:56 PM
Contributor

mrzyphl is a jewel in the roughmrzyphl is a jewel in the roughmrzyphl is a jewel in the rough
Re: There is no escape from this

My Principle recommended I take LD classes but my mother was a teacher
and considered it a personal insult. It might have motivated me to do better
considering my regular teachers thought I was lazy and disinterested and
didn't even try to help me.
Old 09-05-19, 10:58 PM
Contributor

Lloyd_ is a glorious beacon of lightLloyd_ is a glorious beacon of lightLloyd_ is a glorious beacon of lightLloyd_ is a glorious beacon of lightLloyd_ is a glorious beacon of lightLloyd_ is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrzyphl View Post
My Principle recommended I take LD classes but my mother was a teacher
and considered it a personal insult.
Your mother was 120% right, it is an insult to those who do get snarled into LD only because the entire public education system is a complete failure and failed to do their job as educators.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Lloyd_ For This Useful Post:
Drogheda98 (09-06-19), Rebelyell (09-13-19)
Sponsored Links
Old 09-06-19, 06:03 PM
ADDvanced Member

Drogheda98 has a spectacular aura aboutDrogheda98 has a spectacular aura about

not to butt in on the conversation, or, too butt in on the conversation, you hit the nail on the head Lloyd.

I can recall a week ago going to my counselor at college, I asked him to keep on the straight and narrow (actually I projected at the counselor), still, asking for assistence isn't something to be ashamed of.

anyway, he maid me feel completely unwanted, like I was some sort of alien, that I had no purpose for being their. we talked about grades and knowing that the counselor at the college was my counselor at the college told him of the kinds of grades I wanted in my classes, assuming that he would be able to give me some tips on studying and focus. no beans. he said to me "what about all F's". I told my sister about what he said and I agree with her that I should not go back to see him for counseling at the college. he made some sort of remark that I couldn't differentiate him from my psychologist. ********.

I went to the counselor at the college for help with my focus, feeling good about myself and finally confident in my abilities, and all he did was make me feel like I had no reason to be. I will be going back to my pshychologist, however, the counselor at the college, screw him, and I hardly ever take the negative road.

heh,, sorry for the self ramblings.
The Following User Says Thank You to Drogheda98 For This Useful Post:
acdc01 (09-08-19)
Old 09-06-19, 10:49 PM
Contributor

mrzyphl is a jewel in the roughmrzyphl is a jewel in the roughmrzyphl is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lloyd_ View Post
Your mother was 120% right, it is an insult to those who do get snarled into LD only because the entire public education system is a complete failure and failed to do their job as educators.
Well I'll never know if LD classes would have helped me. But I do agree that
regular teachers ignore ADD students needs. I had one math teacher in
high school who gave me extra help and I got 98%. Most classes I got
around 55% and a couple I was granted a pass at 45%. I spent 3 years
in summer school for classes I failed. It took me 5 years to graduate high school.

My secondary school principle also recommended I take the shop class
program to get experience in the trades but my mother wanted me to
get a university degree. Guess what? I spent 20 years as a know nothing ditch digger.

I think that principle recognized that the education system would fail me
and tried to help me the best he could. My mother was more concerned
with how other people would see her if her son wasn't an academic success.
Old 09-07-19, 01:49 AM
Contributor

SashaBV will become famous soon enough

I burned out a bit in high school and lost my motivation due to depression, but still read books frequently that I checked out of libraries. Many years later I took a course or two at a junior college whenever I could and did well. Later in life, I went for it, no-holds barred and kept my momentum and my motivation going. I struggled a bit with some courses, but finished my BS degree with a fairly high GPA. Never give up on yourself. I was never diagnosed until later in life. I did this with no medication for ADD...imagine what I could have done if I was diagnosed as a child or as a young adult! I am ADHD-PI with co-morbid Depression. The support of others helped me quite a bit. If you are not getting support from family, friends, teachers or counselors, keep looking. I've always wondered...why no support groups for ADHD?
Old 09-07-19, 01:58 AM
Mod-A-holic

Thanked 33,094 Times in 15,350 Posts
sarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond repute

I am not LD unless you all mean that adhd is LD. Is that what you mean? Back then adhd was not really a thing so teachers thought that kids were just bad. I cant say that I blame them all though, if adhd was hardly known about, how could they have known to modify their teaching to help someone like me? I have three kids, 23, 19, 16. My 23 year old son was diagnosed when he was 3.5 and began meds when he was 4. I had to advocate for him in the beginning but once I got him help due to that adhd ( he is not LD in any other way) I found the teachers capable of helping him in class based on his needs.

I carried a watermelon?
Old 09-15-19, 07:26 PM

ChristianLA86 is on a distinguished road

I feel the same way man. How old are you?

This word is set up in a way that almost makes it impossible for us to succeed.

It can be very discouraging at times.
Old 09-18-19, 01:32 PM

Kat054 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lloyd_ View Post
The 'strategies' we learn over the years is just a means to cope with having ADD or some learning disability, it never really goes away and anyone to tell you there is no real future are the liars, a mundane existence struggling with finances and relationships or living on SSDI, I for one have considered checking out for good when looking at the future and knowing society and the established order will never accept you and are considered an anomaly, they laugh and mock you if you're somehow intellectually challenged, so called friends and family which makes me wonder why the hell would I even want to have children or raise a family when likely I'll pass my curse down to my progeny and a spouse with garbage inlaws that look at you as a net drain but I can't even hold down a relationship, yes she finds you weird, socially awkward and outright creepy as everyone has a cheap laugh at your expense. More power to you if this is the fate you accept, I don't and never have and never will even back when in school I had to go to 'LD' classes, I never wanted to be associated as being LD, because I've known that truth from the beginning I'm not like the other kids when all I've wanted was a normal life being able to keep up the pace in academics and in all other aspects.

There is no way out until I meet my maker, until then here I sit where it becomes increasingly damn impossible to deal with these truths as hopefully that day I meet my maker comes sooner than later. Anyone who feels the same way is more than welcomed to message me privately, I would like to talk. Also, I'm not going to do anything rash after typing this as some will obviously conclude after reading this.

I'm just being upfront, that is all.
I don't let a diagnosis define me. Staying positive and keeping my faith strong is important as well. I am often overwhelmed by so many things going on with my health, that the opinions of others doesn't really matter to me. It's about surrounding myself with good people that accept me for me and not passing judgement on my every move. I have removed and/or limit my time with crappy people. It makes my life a lot less stressful. Thanks for your honest words.