ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > ADULTS AND ADD/ADHD > Adults with ADD > General ADD Talk
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Old 11-16-11, 12:59 PM

Scorpio1988 is on a distinguished road
Wink Restless Leg Syndrome?

Is this a regular thing for people with add/adhd? I think I have it and I know im self diagnosing myself here, but sometimes when I lay down to watch a movie, or sit for long periods of time, I'll get this itch, almost as if something is crawling under my knee! It's so annoying and disruptive because I have to start kicking my leg, or walking around just to stop it, and then it'll come back a few seconds after I sit again! It's been like this since I was a little girl, my dad admits to having it too, so i never thought about it. but my sister and boyfriend told me it's not a normal thing and I should get it checked out. :/ I just wanted to know if anyone else has this weird knee thingy.
Old 11-16-11, 01:16 PM
Contrapunctual Moderator

Thanked 20,686 Times in 10,407 Posts
namazu has a reputation beyond reputenamazu has a reputation beyond reputenamazu has a reputation beyond reputenamazu has a reputation beyond reputenamazu has a reputation beyond reputenamazu has a reputation beyond reputenamazu has a reputation beyond reputenamazu has a reputation beyond reputenamazu has a reputation beyond reputenamazu has a reputation beyond reputenamazu has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Restless Leg Syndrome?

Yes, there is some evidence that RLS is more common among people with ADHD (and vice-versa).

Both RLS and ADHD seem to involve alterations in dopamine pathways, so it's plausible that there is some partially-shared underlying problem.

It also seems possible that in some people with ADHD, needing to move the legs may just be one manifestation of hyperactivity (that happens to have its own name), though that wouldn't necessarily explain some of the day-night patterns seen in RLS.

I have never been formally diagnosed with RLS, but I've always been a leg-jiggler. But it was a need to wiggle my legs in bed and flex and relax my ankles, which I attribute to RLS/hyperactivity (?), that made it difficult for me to sleep unless I stayed up until I was utterly physically exhausted -- and by extension, that made it difficult for my partner to sleep.

I started taking clonidine for the ADHD (not for this symptom specifically), and it has greatly reduced the discomfort and the need to move my legs. It makes it much easier for me to lie in bed at night without disturbing my partner.

It has a brand name (Kapvay, the first version of clonidine approved specifically to treat ADHD), but we routinely refer to it as my "anti-kick-kick-kick" medication because that's been its most noticeable effect! (And my partner and I are both grateful for it.)

I know there are other meds used to treat RLS (without ADHD), and I don't know if they play nicely with other ADHD meds. (And I don't know if you take other ADHD meds.)

I'm not sure there are many good non-pharmaceutical ways to manage bothersome RLS symptoms, though stretching and getting enough exercise seem to help some people.

But in any case, restlessness is by definition part of some ADHD, and there are biological reasons why RLS and ADHD may co-occur, so you're in good company!
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to namazu For This Useful Post:
ADHDTigger (11-16-11), pechemignonne (11-16-11)
Old 11-16-11, 01:37 PM
Contributor

of_two_minds will become famous soon enough

I'm prone to it.

It got pretty miserable while I was taking Celexa (for anxiety). I read somewhere that RLS might be related to serotonin, and Celexa is an SSRI, so the connection was clear.
The Following User Says Thank You to of_two_minds For This Useful Post:
namazu (11-16-11)
Sponsored Links
Old 11-16-11, 02:27 PM
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate

Thanked 4,317 Times in 1,871 Posts
pechemignonne has a reputation beyond reputepechemignonne has a reputation beyond reputepechemignonne has a reputation beyond reputepechemignonne has a reputation beyond reputepechemignonne has a reputation beyond reputepechemignonne has a reputation beyond reputepechemignonne has a reputation beyond reputepechemignonne has a reputation beyond reputepechemignonne has a reputation beyond reputepechemignonne has a reputation beyond reputepechemignonne has a reputation beyond repute

I definitely find stretching helps, but when it's really bad, I have zopiclone.

"I find a duck's opinion of me is very much influenced by whether or not I have bread. Ducks love bread, but they can't buy any. That's the biggest joke on the duck ever."
Mitch Hedberg

"You would be the world's worst ninja."
Pechemignonne's boyfriend
The Following User Says Thank You to pechemignonne For This Useful Post:
namazu (11-16-11)
Old 11-16-11, 02:28 PM
ADDvanced Forum Guru

Thanked 1,166 Times in 553 Posts
selita has much to be proud ofselita has much to be proud ofselita has much to be proud ofselita has much to be proud ofselita has much to be proud ofselita has much to be proud ofselita has much to be proud ofselita has much to be proud ofselita has much to be proud ofselita has much to be proud of

There's a similar thing called Periodic Limb Movement Disorder which is very common with ADHD.

I always kicked and tossed and turned at night, and I didn't realize that was a manifestation of hyperactivity until I was on medication. I used to be half asleep and I'd stick my arm up in the air and vaguely wonder why. And I'd wake up with all my blankets on the floor.

A tiny amount of stimulants will put me out like a light at night. Methylphenidate rebound makes it a lot worse.
ADHDTigger (11-16-11), namazu (11-16-11)
Old 11-17-11, 06:18 AM
ADDvanced Member

andyr is on a distinguished road

Try taking magnesium supplements (preferably chelated). Works for me. Interestingly, before my meds I used to have huge cravings for chocolate and cashew nuts... both rich sources of magnesium.
Old 11-17-11, 12:41 PM

billa138 will become famous soon enough

I always have to move my legs because I cant sit still but I also have noticed that my legs start to go numb if im sitting for too long. But I think that might have to do with blood circulation.
Old 11-17-11, 12:49 PM

Scorpio1988 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by namazu View Post
Yes, there is some evidence that RLS is more common among people with ADHD (and vice-versa).

Both RLS and ADHD seem to involve alterations in dopamine pathways, so it's plausible that there is some partially-shared underlying problem.

It also seems possible that in some people with ADHD, needing to move the legs may just be one manifestation of hyperactivity (that happens to have its own name), though that wouldn't necessarily explain some of the day-night patterns seen in RLS.

I have never been formally diagnosed with RLS, but I've always been a leg-jiggler. But it was a need to wiggle my legs in bed and flex and relax my ankles, which I attribute to RLS/hyperactivity (?), that made it difficult for me to sleep unless I stayed up until I was utterly physically exhausted -- and by extension, that made it difficult for my partner to sleep.

I started taking clonidine for the ADHD (not for this symptom specifically), and it has greatly reduced the discomfort and the need to move my legs. It makes it much easier for me to lie in bed at night without disturbing my partner.

It has a brand name (Kapvay, the first version of clonidine approved specifically to treat ADHD), but we routinely refer to it as my "anti-kick-kick-kick" medication because that's been its most noticeable effect! (And my partner and I are both grateful for it.)

I know there are other meds used to treat RLS (without ADHD), and I don't know if they play nicely with other ADHD meds. (And I don't know if you take other ADHD meds.)

I'm not sure there are many good non-pharmaceutical ways to manage bothersome RLS symptoms, though stretching and getting enough exercise seem to help some people.

But in any case, restlessness is by definition part of some ADHD, and there are biological reasons why RLS and ADHD may co-occur, so you're in good company!
Great info! I didn't even realize there was something called periodic leg syndrome! I don't know what i technically have, but I'll go check it out some day.