ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > TREATMENT & MANAGEMENT > Medications > Adderall
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Adderall (four amphetamine salts)

Old 10-03-04, 07:26 PM

Kirsten is on a distinguished road
Smile making the switch from straterra to adderall

hey,
i'm in the process of slowly switching from straterra to adderall.. i'm going from taking 75mg to 50 for 3 days, then 25 for 3 days and a day of nothing.. then after the day of taking nothing i'm supposed to start taking adderall.. my question is this-- should i go for longer taking nothing to give the straterra more time to clear out of my body? is okay to start taking adderall the day after taking straterra?? what is the major difference btwn straterra and adderall??
Old 10-10-04, 06:40 PM

shabazosu is on a distinguished road
I was on 20mg of Adderall XR, then swithed to 40mg of Straterra. I took 20mg of Straterra the first week, then went to the 40mg the following week. The first day I went from adderall, to straterra, I almost passed out. I took it w/water and no food, then went to the library to study. After being @ the library for about 20 mins, I got extremely light headed and nauseated, so I got up and ran to the bathroom and ran my face under some cold water, then called for a friend to pick me up b/c there was no way I could walk all the way back to my house. I laid on the couch for about an hour, then felt better, but i definitely felt drugged. It happened the first 3 days of the switch over, then went away. And I had to take Straterra w/food, b/c if I didnt eat after taking it in the morning, I got extremely nauseated again. So I always made sure I had a nurtigrain bar w/me after I took it. This only lasted a month b/c I couldn't tolerate all the side effects I had w/Straterra, so I'm back on the 20mg of Adderall. So be careful w/the switchover..
Old 10-11-04, 10:57 AM
Forum ADDvocate

Gregster has a spectacular aura aboutGregster has a spectacular aura about
Taking or not taking the Adderall won't make any difference in how fast the Strattera clears out of your body. Once you stop taking it, it will clear very quickly, but you don't want to stop "cold turkey" since people sometimes feel sick for a few days when they do that (it feels like the flu, appearently). There is no reason why you should wait to take the Adderall. Your doctor probably wanted you to wait until you stopped the Strattera so that your reaction to the Adderall wasn't masked by the leftover remnants of the Strattera.
Stattera and Adderall are very different in the way they work. Adderall is a stimulant - it contains 4 different amphetamine salts - it stimulates the release of dopamine and noradrenaline in the brain, neurochemicals that ADHD'ers are short of. Stattera is more like an anti-depressant - in fact it started out being researched as an anti-depressant - it increases the release of noradrenaline and serotonin, but in a very different way than drugs like Adderall.
Sponsored Links
Old 10-11-04, 08:55 PM

Kirsten is on a distinguished road
Thanks Gregster.. I appreciate the information--makes things clearer in my head.. i did start taking the adderall after slowly taking less and less of strattera.. so far things are going well.. i'm more focused and seem to have a great amount of energy.. thanks again for the advice!!
Old 01-07-10, 12:52 AM
ADDvanced Member

Meadd is a jewel in the roughMeadd is a jewel in the roughMeadd is a jewel in the rough
Re: making the switch from straterra to adderall

I have been on strattera before... it stopped working aftere a while... it also became expensive as at the time I did not have a patient's assistance program in place... Now, thank God I am on disability and able to see pdocs, regular docs and get my meds at a reasonable price or free...
I just started taking adderal a week ago and seems to be working well for me...for now... I hope it continues to work well... I am not yet feeling focused and concentrated, just more alert during the day and less prone to sleep...
Old 08-12-10, 04:39 PM

athaun is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kirsten View Post
hey,
i'm in the process of slowly switching from straterra to adderall.. i'm going from taking 75mg to 50 for 3 days, then 25 for 3 days and a day of nothing.. then after the day of taking nothing i'm supposed to start taking adderall.. my question is this-- should i go for longer taking nothing to give the straterra more time to clear out of my body? is okay to start taking adderall the day after taking straterra?? what is the major difference btwn straterra and adderall??

I'm no doctor, lol, but strattera is a non stimulant medication and adderall is a medicine that stimulates the central nervous sytem and has an immediate effect about 40 minutes after injested, as opposed to stratter which has to build up in your sytem to work. I think you will like adderall better because if you have a day of nothing to do; no work or school you don't need to take it. Good luck
Old 08-12-10, 06:25 PM
ADDvanced Contributor

Naussicaa has a spectacular aura aboutNaussicaa has a spectacular aura about

Adderall is:
More effective
Cheaper
Works instantly
Clears in a few hours
Doesn't hurt if you don't take it for a day or so, you just become yourself again with ADD.

The major difference is that it works for most people, while Strattera doesn't. You will like it a lot more since it doesn't take weeks to see if it works. It also relives depression in the short term, the first few times you use it you will be so very very happy.
Old 08-19-10, 11:21 PM
ADDvanced Member

alan1 has a spectacular aura aboutalan1 has a spectacular aura about

Adderall also made me feel very caffeinated and still left me a procrastinator. It let me fall asleep easily but I would awaken VERY alert 2 hours later and found it hard to fall back to sleep.
The lesson: Every drug reacts differently on different people. You have to try them on like you would a piece of clothing and see which fits your needs best.