ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > TREATMENT & MANAGEMENT > Medications > Adderall
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Adderall (four amphetamine salts)

Old 06-20-19, 09:08 AM

nanajoy is on a distinguished road
OMG Please help if you can.

Has ANYONE had lip swelling from adderall? Last week I had HORRIBLE lip swelling. I stopped everything, even my probiotics and supplements. It went away. This week I added adderall, thinking that there is no way that was the culprit. Well, here I sit, hiding out in my office, because I look like a FREAK. Last week it was my bottom lip and right side of my top lip, today it is the left side of my top lip and my bottom lip. It isn't just a little bit, it is scary and embarrassing. Holy crap!
Anyone?
Old 06-20-19, 01:37 PM
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate

Thanked 26,822 Times in 12,519 Posts
Lunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond repute
Re: OMG Please help if you can.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nanajoy View Post
Has ANYONE had lip swelling from adderall? Last week I had HORRIBLE lip swelling. I stopped everything, even my probiotics and supplements. It went away. This week I added adderall, thinking that there is no way that was the culprit. Well, here I sit, hiding out in my office, because I look like a FREAK. Last week it was my bottom lip and right side of my top lip, today it is the left side of my top lip and my bottom lip. It isn't just a little bit, it is scary and embarrassing. Holy crap!
Anyone?
Do Not take it again. Call your doctor and let them know what happened.

And take a Benedryl to relieve the response and the swelling.

As far as I know, there is nothing positive about ADHD that people can't have w out ADHD. ~ ADD me
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Lunacie For This Useful Post:
aeon (06-20-19), Greyhound1 (06-22-19)
Old 06-20-19, 02:10 PM
ADDvanced Member

Daniel1970 is a splendid one to beholdDaniel1970 is a splendid one to beholdDaniel1970 is a splendid one to beholdDaniel1970 is a splendid one to beholdDaniel1970 is a splendid one to beholdDaniel1970 is a splendid one to beholdDaniel1970 is a splendid one to behold

I agree with Lunacie, sounds like an allergic reaction and stop taking it!!

Be yourself, and the rest will follow.

Breathing is not optional. - Dr. Raymond Wertheim

What do you care what other people think? - Arline Feynman, to her husband, American physicist Richard P. Feynman

D.
Sponsored Links
Old 06-20-19, 06:38 PM

Thanks so much for responding!
I intend on stopping. I did call my doc. She said the same thing. I guess I was just curious if I am a freak, or if anyone had this happen before? This is all new. Never happened before.
I can't find anything on google and my doctor said it sounds like a reaction, but she'd never heard of it before.
Old 06-20-19, 07:42 PM

Lunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Thanks so much for responding!
I intend on stopping. I did call my doc. She said the same thing. I guess I was just curious if I am a freak, or if anyone had this happen before? This is all new. Never happened before.
I can't find anything on google and my doctor said it sounds like a reaction, but she'd never heard of it before.
Drugs dot com (my go-to) says this kind of allergic reaction is not completely
unknown, but it's not very common. I had the same kind of reaction to a med
for high blood pressure once. No way of knowing if it was the med itself or an
additive in the generic version.

As far as I know, there is nothing positive about ADHD that people can't have w out ADHD. ~ ADD me
Old 06-22-19, 09:57 AM

Good morning! So, as for my scientific experiment, I stopped Adderall and my daily supplements and probiotics for an entire week. The swollen lips subsided. Of course, I thought that I had my answer. I thought it was the Adderall. Since I thought that I had it ll figured out, I took my bedtime supplements and Barretts Esophagus medicine. This morning? Swollen lips. So, what did I take?
Pantoprazole
Melatonin
Dry D3 & K2
When I got up and had swollen lips, I immediately blamed the D3. I was saving money and got a cheaper version. I took every one out of my supplement tin, and tossed the bottle. I have no idea why my wheel kept turning, but they did. I thought about the common thread because I think that I got the D3 after the initial swelling. Could it be the Pantoprazole? I've been on that for 2 years. I had just picked up my new prescription just before the swelling. It was a 90 day prescription. I dumped the few left that were in the old bottle into the new. I just looked in the bottle. They must have come from different labs. One is pale yellow the others are pale peach. Hmmm....I looked it up and low and behold, it just may be that! I will stop the Pantoprazole again along with everything else until no swelling. I have a gut feeling it is the Pantoprazole and not the Adderall. I will keep you posted because now I feel an obligation to all that I may have made nervous. Stay tuned. Fingers crossed it isn't the Adderall because I am writing a text for one of the courses I am teaching in the fall.
Thanks for listening and your input.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC5973311/

https://www.jacionline.org/article/S...669-0/fulltext
The Following User Says Thank You to nanajoy For This Useful Post:
namazu (06-22-19)
Old 06-22-19, 11:28 AM

Quote:
Good morning! So, as for my scientific experiment, I stopped Adderall and my daily supplements and probiotics for an entire week. The swollen lips subsided. Of course, I thought that I had my answer. I thought it was the Adderall. Since I thought that I had it ll figured out, I took my bedtime supplements and Barretts Esophagus medicine. This morning? Swollen lips. So, what did I take?
Pantoprazole
Melatonin
Dry D3 & K2
When I got up and had swollen lips, I immediately blamed the D3. I was saving money and got a cheaper version. I took every one out of my supplement tin, and tossed the bottle. I have no idea why my wheel kept turning, but they did. I thought about the common thread because I think that I got the D3 after the initial swelling. Could it be the Pantoprazole? I've been on that for 2 years. I had just picked up my new prescription just before the swelling. It was a 90 day prescription. I dumped the few left that were in the old bottle into the new. I just looked in the bottle. They must have come from different labs. One is pale yellow the others are pale peach. Hmmm....I looked it up and low and behold, it just may be that! I will stop the Pantoprazole again along with everything else until no swelling. I have a gut feeling it is the Pantoprazole and not the Adderall. I will keep you posted because now I feel an obligation to all that I may have made nervous. Stay tuned. Fingers crossed it isn't the Adderall because I am writing a text for one of the courses I am teaching in the fall.
Thanks for listening and your input.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC5973311/

https://www.jacionline.org/article/S...669-0/fulltext
Something else to consider ... interactions between older meds and newer meds.

The Following User Says Thank You to Lunacie For This Useful Post:
namazu (06-22-19)
Old 06-22-19, 01:12 PM

You mean the few left from the previous 90 day prescription and the new? The pharmacy refills it 15 days before the end of the 90 days, so they aren't out of date. That being said, after reading your advice, I scooped the ones from the previous prescription out of the bottle and tossed them. Thanks.

I won't have an answer for anyone for a while because I am stopping the Pantoprazole as part of my experiment. My plan is to stop everything and make sure there is no swelling for at least a week. Then the real fun begins. I will try the Adderall again, and if there is no swelling I won't take anything else including supplements.

I have an endoscopy with my gastro coming up and I will hopefully have an answer and good information when I talk to him.

I don't want to make anyone mad, but I WISH that I hadn't called my PCP and given her my preliminary thoughts. Now, I'll have to wait to see the results of my experiment, and when I have good information, I'll have to make an appointment and have a sit down with her. Because I jumped the gun, and made an assumption, I know that she won't call in my Adderall prescription next month. So, I'll have to wait, see, figure this out and then talk to her. I know that I am probably a bit more fortunate in this scenario than others would be because my PCP is a colleague. She will take my self experiment seriously.... well, at least I hope. I will share that piece of the experiment as well.

I honestly think that I have my answer, but I will wait it out to to be absolutely sure.

I often find that others experience in situations is helpful to know if I find myself in a similar situation. I hope that my swollen lips and deduction experiment is helpful to someone else someday.

Here is a little giggle to add to this ordeal. My lips swelled so much that the lady inside my bluetooth to make calls in my car had no idea what I was saying. I would say, "call mom" and she would say back "calling John cell". I almost went off the road. John is the Chief Medical Officer. Yikes, I didn't want to call him at 6 AM on his cell. At work everyone was asking me if I had lip injections. When I told them the truth and said no, they gave me evil smiles that meant, "Oh sure you didn't!" When the swelling went down I was a fool and walked around showing people that there was no more swelling just so they wouldn't think that I was a Kardashian wannabe.

Looking back, my lips looked voluptuous.

I'll keep you posted. Have a great day.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to nanajoy For This Useful Post:
Lunacie (06-22-19), namazu (06-22-19)
Old 06-22-19, 01:32 PM

Older and newer meds ... ones you've been taking for awhile and ones you've
just started.

The Following User Says Thank You to Lunacie For This Useful Post:
namazu (06-22-19)
Old 06-22-19, 02:22 PM

I only have 2 prescriptions: Adderall and Pantoprazole. Everything else is just a vitamin or supplement. D3, K2, melatonin.
I did change brands of D3 because I was being cheap. I did think of that, and it is on my radar. K2 has always been the same, but I only take in conjunction with D3. Melatonin? I guess I am always looking for the best brand (for a great sleep. I work all day and teach classes at night. Sleep isn't a luxury, but a necessity for me. I only sleep about 5 hours a night and want to make the best of it.) I have been using a capsule in the same brand for about a year.

I'm stopping everything, and once there is no swelling for at least a week, I'm going to test the Pantoprazole because I honestly think that is the culprit.

When I did a lit search, I found evidence of Angioedema when taking Pantoprazole. Also, I have had another side effect when I first began Pantoprazole. When I first began, I suffered from severe hypomagnesemia. I had to rub my legs in magnesia oil and take magnesium supplements to stop the cramping. It is a side effect, but VERY rare. My gastro had never heard of it, so I showed him the literature. I'm ok with it now. I wonder if my body is telling me in any way that it can that it doesn't tolerate Pantoprazole??? I had one very rare side effect and I'm guessing (but not yet sure) that I now have another very rare, but published, side effect????
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to nanajoy For This Useful Post:
Lunacie (06-22-19), namazu (06-22-19)
Old 06-22-19, 04:45 PM

unverified is a jewel in the roughunverified is a jewel in the roughunverified is a jewel in the rough

Sounds like you're allergic to it, stop taking it and notify your Doctor
Old 06-22-19, 06:13 PM

Meds and supplements can interact with each other as well. I would be quite
surprised if switching brands on a supplement would make such a difference.
But I've been surprised before.

I think since none of the meds or supplements are life-or-death, you have a
good plan in place that should help you figure out what's happening.

I'm going through something similar trying to figure out what has been causing
a terrible case of itching for the last month. I started two new meds a couple of
months ago, one for my thyroid and one for neuropathy. I've elminated the one
for neuropathy to see the itching goes away. So far, no luck.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Lunacie For This Useful Post:
aeon (06-22-19), namazu (06-22-19)
Old 06-22-19, 07:37 PM
ADDvanced Member

Waitingame is a splendid one to beholdWaitingame is a splendid one to beholdWaitingame is a splendid one to beholdWaitingame is a splendid one to beholdWaitingame is a splendid one to beholdWaitingame is a splendid one to beholdWaitingame is a splendid one to behold

Run all your meds and supplements through an interactions checker. Adderall potentiates a lot of meds, so you may need to reduce other doses (check with doc).

I've had that reaction to sulfa meds - very unpleasant! Hope it subsides.

Also, check fillers on the supplements as well as your dosage.

FYI, good for you on taking yhe D/K combo (helps body process D), & you may already know that Vitamin D has a ceiling, when you hit that amount in your body, your body is smart enough to start dumping Vit D (source: my physiology textbook I re-eead this week and prior knowledge). So you can actually end up with less Vit D with too much supplement in addition to other sources of Vitamin D (sunlight, milk, rainbows, unicorns).

Hope you solve the mystery soom!
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Waitingame For This Useful Post:
aeon (06-22-19), namazu (06-22-19)