ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > ADULTS AND ADD/ADHD > Relationships & Social Issues
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Relationships & Social Issues This forum is for adults with AD/HD to discuss how AD/HD affects personal relationships.

Old 02-07-19, 09:24 PM
Mind Racing Moderator

Thanked 16,229 Times in 7,778 Posts
Greyhound1 has a reputation beyond reputeGreyhound1 has a reputation beyond reputeGreyhound1 has a reputation beyond reputeGreyhound1 has a reputation beyond reputeGreyhound1 has a reputation beyond reputeGreyhound1 has a reputation beyond reputeGreyhound1 has a reputation beyond reputeGreyhound1 has a reputation beyond reputeGreyhound1 has a reputation beyond reputeGreyhound1 has a reputation beyond reputeGreyhound1 has a reputation beyond repute
Re: I'm often so angry and I don't know how to let go...

I think staying angry only harms yourself. It’s a false sense of readiness perhaps for an altercation but more likely to cause one. Holding onto anger makes for an angry person. Meanwhile, it doesn’t change the person or people we are angry with and we suffer and while they don’t. We waste our time and mental health, ruminating in anger while they continue to be carefree. Anger only shackles the angered.

Letting go of anger or forgiving someone isn’t or shouldn’t be about them at all. It should be all about freeing ourselves from our angry thoughts which are so detrimental, so we can move on. My goal in life is just to be happy. That will never happen if I continue to hold on to angry thoughts.

I’ve gotten better at it but I never forget them. They can resurface again very quickly and ruin perfectly good days if I allow them. I know letting go of some anger is very very difficult and may even be impossible. I do believe that truly forgiving is the best method of freeing ourselves from anger. Staying angry is just another way we beat ourselves up.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Greyhound1 For This Useful Post:
namazu (02-07-19), psychopathetic (02-07-19), tudorose (02-08-19)
Old 02-07-19, 10:31 PM
e-(((hug))) extraordinaire!

Thanked 15,985 Times in 7,935 Posts
psychopathetic has a reputation beyond reputepsychopathetic has a reputation beyond reputepsychopathetic has a reputation beyond reputepsychopathetic has a reputation beyond reputepsychopathetic has a reputation beyond reputepsychopathetic has a reputation beyond reputepsychopathetic has a reputation beyond reputepsychopathetic has a reputation beyond reputepsychopathetic has a reputation beyond reputepsychopathetic has a reputation beyond reputepsychopathetic has a reputation beyond repute

That was all very well said Houndsy. I agree with all of what you posted.

Quote:
Holding onto anger makes for an angry person. Meanwhile, it doesn’t change the person or people we are angry with
I think I've always known this...but seeing it written out so clearly really makes it feel enlightening. I think I was vaguely aware of this in the back of my mind, but never really thought of it like this.

Thank you for this post Hounds.

(((Bro Hug)))

(((((((MOM)))))))
I Miss You.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to psychopathetic For This Useful Post:
Greyhound1 (02-07-19), tudorose (02-08-19)
Old 02-08-19, 12:08 AM
Mind Racing Moderator

Thanked 16,229 Times in 7,778 Posts
Greyhound1 has a reputation beyond reputeGreyhound1 has a reputation beyond reputeGreyhound1 has a reputation beyond reputeGreyhound1 has a reputation beyond reputeGreyhound1 has a reputation beyond reputeGreyhound1 has a reputation beyond reputeGreyhound1 has a reputation beyond reputeGreyhound1 has a reputation beyond reputeGreyhound1 has a reputation beyond reputeGreyhound1 has a reputation beyond reputeGreyhound1 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by psychopathetic View Post
That was all very well said Houndsy. I agree with all of what you posted.

I think I've always known this...but seeing it written out so clearly really makes it feel enlightening. I think I was vaguely aware of this in the back of my mind, but never really thought of it like this.

Thank you for this post Hounds.

(((Bro Hug)))
Thank you psycho and you’re welcome.

I hate to be angry and strive to be happy. Getting angry in itself makes me angry. I don’t want to be angry! Anger is certainly going to happen in life but how we react and respond to it is really what matters.

Holding onto our anger is so easy to do but so illogical and irrational when you think about it. It only harms us but yet somehow, to me, it feels justified. Like they deserve my anger and somehow, they will learn their lesson.

I think this line from my last post sums it up best.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thunder Hound
Anger only shackles the angered.

Last edited by Greyhound1; 02-08-19 at 12:15 AM.. Reason: Forgot I was Thunder Hound
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Greyhound1 For This Useful Post:
psychopathetic (02-08-19), tudorose (02-08-19)
Sponsored Links
Old 02-08-19, 01:43 PM
Mod-A-holic

Thanked 33,063 Times in 15,336 Posts
sarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond repute

I try to remember something I heard in a show once when I feel irrational anger. Its called "five blue things". When things start to erupt and nearly overflow due to emotions or anger I look around and find five blue things. I name them "the paint, my hairbrush, a car, a cup, a book". I say them to myself or someone else carefully and measured and it helps lower the intensity because it refocuses the mind.

I carried a watermelon?
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to sarahsweets For This Useful Post:
psychopathetic (02-08-19), tudorose (02-09-19)
Old 02-08-19, 02:50 PM
Jr Member

Kasie B has disabled reputation

Thatís clever Sarah! I can really use that.
The Following User Says Thank You to Kasie B For This Useful Post:
psychopathetic (02-08-19)
Old 02-08-19, 04:55 PM
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate

Thanked 22,328 Times in 12,023 Posts
Little Missy has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Missy has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Missy has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Missy has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Missy has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Missy has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Missy has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Missy has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Missy has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Missy has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Missy has a reputation beyond repute

Fly light, lose anger.

And in the end, the love you take; is equal to the love you make...Beatles Abbey Road 1969
The Following User Says Thank You to Little Missy For This Useful Post:
psychopathetic (02-08-19)
Old 02-08-19, 05:19 PM
e-(((hug))) extraordinaire!

Thanked 15,985 Times in 7,935 Posts
psychopathetic has a reputation beyond reputepsychopathetic has a reputation beyond reputepsychopathetic has a reputation beyond reputepsychopathetic has a reputation beyond reputepsychopathetic has a reputation beyond reputepsychopathetic has a reputation beyond reputepsychopathetic has a reputation beyond reputepsychopathetic has a reputation beyond reputepsychopathetic has a reputation beyond reputepsychopathetic has a reputation beyond reputepsychopathetic has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Little Missy View Post
Fly light
I tried once.

...It was a short flight.

(((((((MOM)))))))
I Miss You.

The Following User Says Thank You to psychopathetic For This Useful Post:
Little Missy (02-08-19)
Old 02-17-19, 06:06 PM
Contributor

Lloyd_ is a glorious beacon of lightLloyd_ is a glorious beacon of lightLloyd_ is a glorious beacon of lightLloyd_ is a glorious beacon of lightLloyd_ is a glorious beacon of lightLloyd_ is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by psychopathetic View Post
I'm starting to realize that I have a lot of pent up anger.

I hold grudges and harbor resentments. I get upset with someone, and then I stew over it and ruminate on it. I play it over and over in my head and I become bitter.
It can ruin an entire day for me...actually, it often ruins many days. I just keep stewing on it and thinking about it and fueling that anger.
I don't let go.

And then I walk around with all this anger.
And then because I hold onto these resentments...(I don't know how to word this)...It's like I'm pre-angry at people. So even if they're being nice and cool and everything, I have all these negative feelings towards them and I don't really even give them a chance. I'm on constant guard around them...angry and bitter and closed off.

...dang it...I'm a nice guy I think deep down inside. But gah...I really have a lot of anger issues.

I'd like to work on letting go. Like with my dad or a case manager I was working with last year...or my current therapist.
But I'm not sure how!
It's eating at me though. I'm walking around with a big chip on my shoulder, and it's making life feel overly intense...

Any ideas guys? What are some ways I can work on to release all this dang pent up anger?

I think if I could work on these resentments and this bitterness...life would be a bit easier for me.

I want to stop feeling so pi**ed off all the time. It puts a big damper on the big loving playful guy I am deep inside.
/sigh...
I get mad too from time to time but you must ask yourself why do you even bother investing so much thought and energy into stupid ****? Why do you waste your valuable time getting yourself worked up? Does it benefit you at all? Who cares?! Get some hobbies to keep yourself occupied with more productive things.

When you start to look at the big picture you'll start to realize all the stuff getting you all ****** off is just, silly.
The Following User Says Thank You to Lloyd_ For This Useful Post:
psychopathetic (02-17-19)