ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > ADULTS AND ADD/ADHD > Adults with ADD > General ADD Talk
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Old 06-27-11, 02:17 PM

furthuron will become famous soon enough
A quiet place...

I'm sure I'm not the first person to post something like this, but I can't seem to find a quiet (and by "quiet" I mean mentally as well) to write. Today I was supposed to write from 10:00-12:00 at the library in a private study room, but the rooms were all taken. I drove around town for over an hour trying to find some place - any place - where I could focus and work. Now I'm home typing this on my couch because I struck out.

I can't do libraries because 1) there are always a lot of people and even the quiet ones whisper or type or turn pages or do something distracting, 2) there are a lot of homeless people and people with disabilities who are often loud and distracting.

My husband recommended coffee shops, but he doesn't seem to understand the sensory overload associated with, well, everything.

I can't seem to work at home either. There is too much to do and it's distracting.

Anyone have a place they would recommend? I basically just want a quiet, somewhat dark (as in no glaring lights) place in a corner where I can have no stimulation and just focus. Does such a place exist?
Old 06-27-11, 02:37 PM
Contributor

KCTang has much to be proud ofKCTang has much to be proud ofKCTang has much to be proud ofKCTang has much to be proud ofKCTang has much to be proud ofKCTang has much to be proud ofKCTang has much to be proud ofKCTang has much to be proud ofKCTang has much to be proud ofKCTang has much to be proud of
Re: A quiet place...

Yes, in your car, if you don't mind the 'strangeness' of it.

Back when I had a harder time directing my attention, this would be a preferred place for me to write. I'd drive to a quiet retail parking lot, far from the mall/store entrance, and just pull out the pen & paper and write.

Perhaps parking at a small neighborhood park or side street could offer the same type of quiet as a parking lot. Also, a factory parking lot in an industrial complex could work, if you find a place without security or cameras. Evidently, parking at these places at night would be better than in the day, but safety of the area should be considered.

Good luck!

"I wouldn't have had good scientific ideas if I had thought more normally."
--- Prof John Nash: Nobel Laureate in Economics, Schizophrenic, subject of "A Beautiful Mind"

Old 06-27-11, 02:46 PM

PI_guy is on a distinguished road
Re: A quiet place...

For a couple weeks, I tried to study in a bedroom while my wife watched the kids. I finally gave up and ended up putting a folding table and chair out in the garage and working out there. It was winter, but I had a space heater, a blanket, and some fingerless gloves.
Sponsored Links