ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > ADULTS AND ADD/ADHD > Adults with ADD > General ADD Talk
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Old 09-18-04, 04:03 AM
ADDvanced Member

pinkie is on a distinguished road
Thumbs up Adults with ADD - I made an appointment for an evaluation

I called today about getting tested for ADD. It's my second time calling, but this time I can afford the test and I'm not a chicken.

It just took me a few months to get up the courage and to convince myself that I should spend the money. The last straw was earlier this week when my mom brought it up and told me that she's suspected for years that I have it.

So I have to fill out a questionnaire and send it in; once they get it, I'll be put on the waiting list. The woman said I should be tested within a month.

I'm just wondering what sorts of things will be done during the testing. I'm also wondering if the person I see will have an extensive backgroung with ADD or if it'll just be some random Dr. who tests for anything. I don't know much about the place except that it was referred to me when I called the counseling center at my university to get tested.

Time's fun when you're having flies.
- Kermit the Frog
Old 09-18-04, 03:15 PM
Forum ADDvocate

charlie is on a distinguished road
yAY! pINKIE wAY tO gO!!!

I'd call and ask what to expect during the first visit.
Also if Dr's there are experienced with diagnosing ADD, receptionists usually know their Docs and what their strengths are. Maybe she can note somewhere on your file a certain Dr's name if one, in her opinion is better than another.

Be sure to share what you learn!

pinkie, where was that Pink Ladies association with 'Greece' top you mentioned on the Last Post thread?

avatar= Carol Kane Angel :Scrooged

Old 09-18-04, 05:00 PM
ADDvanced Member

thanks charlie, and thanks for the tips.

here's the top that says Pink Ladies on the front: http://store.alloy.com/catalog/brows...7&PARENT=10013

- Kermit the Frog
Sponsored Links
Old 09-18-04, 06:45 PM
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate

Draga has disabled reputation
Good Luck Pinky.....I remember when I was in pysch Hospital and they did a lot of test on me...Ick Blots(hehe...I think I scared the guy when I said I saw Lucifer was standing behind him..JK)....Ick Anne Rice Sent her Minyuns to do her biding and took a blood test........Hand/Eye Corrdination...How fast with matching symbols, put things in chronilogical order....Of course that was just 12 years ago on my side of the Nutty Butty Farm...It may have changed. Hugs 2 ya!

Please do not think me cold, for I do want loving arms to hold, but I am so sick of being used and abused...If I die alone tomorrow I die unbruised.
Old 09-18-04, 11:30 PM
Contributor

aforceforgood is on a distinguished road
heh, I like that draga, that's even better than mine, when the psych asked if I see things that others don't see, I said "I see really stupid things that other people seem to accept as perfectly normal..."

A champion is someone who gets up, even when they can't.

My brain is like a big-block hemi with transmission problems...

Contact me using odigo, available free at odigo.com, search for THEMAILMAN -currently there are 4, I'm the one with all caps
Old 09-18-04, 11:34 PM

LMAO!!!!! Did Ya finish the sentence.. "I see really stupid things that other people seem to accept as perfectly normal....like...ummmm....YOU" ? LOL!

Please do not think me cold, for I do want loving arms to hold, but I am so sick of being used and abused...If I die alone tomorrow I die unbruised.
Old 09-19-04, 12:25 AM
ADDvanced Forum Guru

exeter is on a distinguished road
Congrats to pinkie for finally getting tested! I remember the first time I thought "Hey, I might have ADD." From that time until the time I actually called about getting tested was about 2 months. I didn't actually get tested until a month following that. Believe me, if I could have those 2 months back, I'd take it.

Oh, yeah, and that was super funny, the thing about "I see stupid stuff other people accept as perfectly normal..." My old boss actually said the same thing about me, that I notice stuff like that way before everyone else. The problem I had is that I felt compelled to say something then and there rather than wait and persuade the people involved that it was really their idea to do things the right way. Lol...
Old 09-19-04, 04:26 AM
Contributor

yeah, one of the most amazing things I've noticed since starting taking meds is the ability NOT to say whatever thought pops into my head...

Contact me using odigo, available free at odigo.com, search for THEMAILMAN -currently there are 4, I'm the one with all caps
Old 09-19-04, 11:40 AM

Thanked 3,331 Times in 1,335 Posts
Trooper Keith has a reputation beyond reputeTrooper Keith has a reputation beyond reputeTrooper Keith has a reputation beyond reputeTrooper Keith has a reputation beyond reputeTrooper Keith has a reputation beyond reputeTrooper Keith has a reputation beyond reputeTrooper Keith has a reputation beyond reputeTrooper Keith has a reputation beyond reputeTrooper Keith has a reputation beyond reputeTrooper Keith has a reputation beyond reputeTrooper Keith has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally Posted by aforceforgood
yeah, one of the most amazing things I've noticed since starting taking meds is the ability NOT to say whatever thought pops into my head...
Isn't that incredible? It definitely slows me down long enough to not say things that could get me in trouble. Yay for inhibitions!
Old 09-19-04, 12:53 PM
Forum ADDvocate

charlie is on a distinguished road
airforceforgood {quote}
yeah, one of the most amazing things I've noticed since starting taking meds is the ability NOT to say whatever thought pops into my head...{quote}

now I'm looking even MORE forward getting ADD meds!

that one habit has got to get me in MORE trouble than anything!

Where did I read that acronym STAR or something StopTalkingAnd__? does anyone have that in their memory banks?

thanks for the link pinkie, I was thinking you had found something different I could tell my co-worker about for her bestest friend 'pinkie'
truthfully I'd never heard that nickname before!

Regarding your test, also pinkie mine was just a verbal quiz pretty dang painless!

avatar= Carol Kane Angel :Scrooged

Last edited by charlie; 09-19-04 at 12:56 PM.. Reason: forgot to thank pinkie
Old 09-19-04, 06:19 PM

Aforcegood.... I can't do it...Hmmm...And not sure I want to hehe

Old 09-20-04, 04:04 AM
ADDvanced Member

Quote:
when the psych asked if I see things that others don't see, I said "I see really stupid things that other people seem to accept as perfectly normal..."
Haha, that's great. Thanks for your support everyone, it really helps.

I did a little research on the place and it seems to me that there'll be a lot of verbal and written tests. I don't think there'll be any blood work or anything like that, I don't think the facility is equipped for that. I get a discount for the testing because I'm a full-time student at its affiliated university. So I guess it's good that I'm starting this now and not in two or three months since I graduate in December.

I'm not nervous, just curious about what it'll be like. I've never been to a psychologist before.

- Kermit the Frog
Old 09-20-04, 12:35 PM
ADDvanced Forum Guru

exeter is on a distinguished road
Well, the way mine went was like this:

I went for a first visit, which consisted of a clinical interview and discussion of what my issues are and why I thought I had add. This lasted about an hour. My second and third visits lasted more like 3 hours each. I did a TON of tests, including a personality and IQ test. The specific tests your doc has you do will probably differ, but I'd expect to spend 7-12 hours on the whole endeavor.

If you do it over multiple days, be sure to schedule the appointments at a time when you don't have anything to do afterward. It can be exhausting.
Old 09-21-04, 12:28 AM
Contributor

Wow, exeter, what medical plan do you have? I got diagnosed on my second visit, of course I had taken the advice of the Doctor who moderates the CHADD meetings I go to and documented everything I could and gave that to him to make it easier for him to document his diagnosis.

I printed out the Amen questionnaire among other things- he smiled, that was what he was going to have me fill out.

I also had seen a psych previous to him some years ago who had given me the personality test which concluded I was highly impulsive, even when I took it again (trying not to give the answers that would verify the impulsiveness) and knew my own IQ, so maybe that helped speed things up.

So I guess I'm passing this advice on to you Pinky, IF you're looking to find out as soon as possible.

I'd actually recommend that you don't do that though, just let the doctor come to his own conclusion, but don't take his conclusion as set in stone. I've heard way too many stories of ignorant doctors who dismiss ADD or misdiagnose it.

For instance the psych I saw who gave me the personality test which indicated I was highly impulsive, that was as far as he went with that information. That was years ago. If I had discovered I was ADD then, I'd be that much farther down the road ...

Old 09-21-04, 01:20 AM
ADDvanced Member

Quote:
I'd actually recommend that you don't do that though, just let the doctor come to his own conclusion, but don't take his conclusion as set in stone. I've heard way too many stories of ignorant doctors who dismiss ADD or misdiagnose it.
Oh okay. I'd wondered about whether I should do that, print out some questionnaires I've taken to show them my results...but I see your point and I like it better.

Exeter, I think I'll be doing something similar to what you did. Their website gave me the impression that it takes a couple of visits to get the testing done, and it seems like there are a ton of tests they do.

- Kermit the Frog