ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > ADULTS AND ADD/ADHD > Adult Diagnosis & Treatment
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Adult Diagnosis & Treatment This forum is for the discussion of issues related to the diagnosis of AD/HD

Old 07-06-09, 02:23 PM

Sknipper will become famous soon enough
The first appointment

Squee! And OMG. I just made an appointment with a psychiatrist to seek help for my problems. I'm really excited and hopeful to get some help but I'm also nervous that it won't work out or he'll give me the runaround and diagnose something else or be one of those docs that doesn't really know anything about adult add.

I had called 15 of the 25 doctors that my insurance co. supplied me with before I found one that met my needs, was taking new patients, was close enough to drive to, and had availability before mid-September. My appointment is in two weeks. I almost feel like I'm going crazy to wait that long so a month or more would have been too much. Now that I think I know what's wrong with me and I know there's help out there, I want to get better NOW! I'm so sick of being a wandering mess.

So, I do have a question, and that was-any tips for the first appointment? I feel unsure about going in and bluntly saying I think I have ADD, I want to try meds. Because from my experience with other (non mental health) practitioners, they don't trust someone that self-diagnoses and try to find something else instead of listening. I'm sure there's a lot of internet hypochondriacs now, but I research stuff pretty hard.

I've been taking Wellbutrin for a year for depression/anxiety (maybe comorbid, but I think could just be situational because of ADD) I read at least one post here about success with a combo of adderall and wellbutrin. I'm scared that if I come out and ask for adderall, that will make them not give it to me. I'm young (but I have a family, I'm not a partier) and recreational Adderall use is pretty big around my area. I figure doctors get high school and college students in frequently trying for a bonus adderall scrip and I don't want to be grouped in with that stuff. That's not me.
Old 07-06-09, 02:35 PM
ADDvanced Contributor

kattsqueen is just really nicekattsqueen is just really nicekattsqueen is just really nicekattsqueen is just really nice
Re: The first appointment

good for you skippner!! just go in and tell him where your problems lie be it getting started being physically hypractive or inattentive,, honesty and sincerety are the best way to address the situation with the doctor be ready with examples of your behaviour report cards if pertinent and maybe a test or two off the internet..this will give you both a place to start.. good luck

katts
Old 07-07-09, 09:41 AM

pipermac will become famous soon enough

When Finding the DR did you check to see if they Specialize or even treat ADD? I would think that would be the first question to ask when making an appointment. I am seeing a clinical Psychologist and before making an appointment I found that information out.

I would definately tell him that you think that you may have add but I would not ask about any medication. Wait for a diagnosis before mentioning any medication.
Sponsored Links
Old 07-07-09, 11:00 AM

Sknipper will become famous soon enough

Yes I asked the receptionist wehn I called if he treats ADD. And when she said yes, I said 'for adults?' and she said yes.
Because the list from my ins. co. was based on me saying I thought I might have ADD and almost half of the doctors only saw children! Three were even at an adolescent-only mental hospital. So I made sure to ask if he treats adult ADD. I'm just worried if he might talk the talk and not really walk the walk.