ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > ADDForums FRONT OFFICE > New Member Introductions
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Old 11-09-09, 07:08 AM
Jr Member

blerg is on a distinguished road
Howdy from California

Howdy.

I am a 21 year old male and I was diagnosed with ADD in early elementary school and my mother to this day suffers from ADD. Struggled throughout grade school and am now struggling in my third year of junior college. I'm taking 12 units... I was doing OK... but now everything has just piled up.

I'm taking 5 mg of Adderall XR and 300 mg of Wellbutrin daily. A few weeks ago I went to the dermatologist who said that 1-10% of people taking Wellbutrin develop acne, which he said is quite high. I used to be on 40 mg of Adderall and then 20 but in January I had what I was told was a "vasovagal reaction": I fainted. This was attributed to the Adderall and I tried going without it. This didn't work out very well so I was given the 5 mg I am currently taking. All of these adjustments have been made by my physician, who I can tell is hesitant of prescribing Adderall; he wants me to see a psychiatrist. I haven't been to one in several years. The last one moved 40 minutes away, asked the same questions to which I had the same answers, and charged $20 to write prescriptions between visits.

Oh, yes, Wellbutrin. Well last weekend, after consulting my physician, I tried going without it. It didn't go well! I've been home alone for a month on account of my dad and stepmom starting a business in Oregon. That last sentence seems like it ended too soon, doesn't it? Right. I went crazy. Perhaps not in some ICD-type definition, but in my opinion. Maybe it was just a reverse placebo effect, or maybe I really do need this medication, but I was just completely anxious about everything.

So I got back on the Wellbutrin Wagon and i'm doing a little better, certainly less anxious.

It's past 3:00 a.m. (I have class at 9 a.m. tomorrow!) and I know I am just joining this website and typing this unnecessarily long letter as a form of procrastination. That's my trouble. I spend all of my time freaking out about procrastination and not getting anything done instead of just doing it.

I realize my problems are minuscule from the perspective of onlookers in distant galaxies, but in this empty house they are great! I have a 200 page play to read and direct (by tomorrow I think, lol), 1000 word essay dues Wednesday, play critique due like 3 weeks ago (oh the double-edged sword that are teachers with flexible deadlines), test in subject of which I have no idea it is on Thursday... several chapters to read and prepare for a test on Tuesday... tons of stuff for the flexible-teacher class. I don't know if I can BS for much longer

God, this has got to be 1000 words, right?

But wait, there's more!

And then there's the job search. From April to August of 2008 I had a nice little State internship making $10 an hour, but then I studied abroad for 3 months, so I naturally had to quit. My dad and stepmom, whose house I currently reside in, are due to move to Oregon by the end of the year ó and it's already November! I'm fine with working (at least I think I am), it's just... the hunt! That's all I have to say about that.

Like I said before, I'm very conscious of my procrastination and laziness. It's extremely frustrating. I do unnecessary tasks that take just as much effort and time as the ones that are pressing. I'll read the newspaper instead of shaving, take a walk or drive instead of studying, or write extremely long forum posts instead of writing essays.

But I'm going to take initiative: I will shower and take out the trash instead of rereading and proofreading this post.

Blerg!
Old 11-09-09, 11:54 AM
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate

Thanked 4,969 Times in 2,474 Posts
novagal has a brilliant futurenovagal has a brilliant futurenovagal has a brilliant futurenovagal has a brilliant futurenovagal has a brilliant futurenovagal has a brilliant futurenovagal has a brilliant futurenovagal has a brilliant futurenovagal has a brilliant futurenovagal has a brilliant futurenovagal has a brilliant future
Re: Howdy from California

Hi blerg, welcome to the forum!

I'd say you're in the right place, much of what you've said sounds very familiar. You're definitely not alone, and it's nice to meet you!
Even if I didn't use it in the house?
- Bill Waterson (Calvin and Hobbes)
Old 11-09-09, 06:20 PM

Thanked 3,558 Times in 2,136 Posts
Turbochica has a reputation beyond reputeTurbochica has a reputation beyond reputeTurbochica has a reputation beyond reputeTurbochica has a reputation beyond reputeTurbochica has a reputation beyond reputeTurbochica has a reputation beyond reputeTurbochica has a reputation beyond reputeTurbochica has a reputation beyond reputeTurbochica has a reputation beyond reputeTurbochica has a reputation beyond reputeTurbochica has a reputation beyond repute

welcome to the forums

Fyodor Dostoevsky

Sponsored Links
Old 11-10-09, 08:03 PM
ADDvanced Member

The Absent Mind will become famous soon enough

Hi and welcome!

I noticed that you take Wellbutrin and it helps with anxiety? That's certainly not what I would take it for myself! Sounds like you are stressed out. Personally-- I am not a doctor-- but I think something along the lines of celexa or Lexapro might help more with that.

To me, it seems like Wellbutrin might have the capacity to put you in a better mood sure, if life was good... but considering the chemicals it works on preventing the re-uptake of: norepinepherine and dopamine, and then combined with Adderall, which actually reverses your pumps of those two neurotransmitters from blow to suck, putting even more in there, it seems that might stress you out more if you are under a lot of pressure like that.

But, then again, I am not a doctor. I am kind of surprised your doc hasn't suggested an SSRI rather than Wellbutrin, though, to be honest.

Anyway, welcome to the forums! Great people here :-)
Old 11-17-09, 08:49 AM

Thanked 3,338 Times in 1,909 Posts
Bluerose has a reputation beyond reputeBluerose has a reputation beyond reputeBluerose has a reputation beyond reputeBluerose has a reputation beyond reputeBluerose has a reputation beyond reputeBluerose has a reputation beyond reputeBluerose has a reputation beyond reputeBluerose has a reputation beyond reputeBluerose has a reputation beyond reputeBluerose has a reputation beyond reputeBluerose has a reputation beyond repute

Old 11-18-09, 09:09 PM
Jr Member

blerg is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Absent Mind View Post
Hi and welcome!

I noticed that you take Wellbutrin and it helps with anxiety? That's certainly not what I would take it for myself! Sounds like you are stressed out. Personally-- I am not a doctor-- but I think something along the lines of celexa or Lexapro might help more with that.

To me, it seems like Wellbutrin might have the capacity to put you in a better mood sure, if life was good... but considering the chemicals it works on preventing the re-uptake of: norepinepherine and dopamine, and then combined with Adderall, which actually reverses your pumps of those two neurotransmitters from blow to suck, putting even more in there, it seems that might stress you out more if you are under a lot of pressure like that.

But, then again, I am not a doctor. I am kind of surprised your doc hasn't suggested an SSRI rather than Wellbutrin, though, to be honest.

Anyway, welcome to the forums! Great people here :-)
Neurotransmitters... if i had read the book and studied in my ongoing biological psychology course I feel like I would understand this. Ironically I have read the first few pages of the section on ADD... but I never got much further.

Yeah, I have no idea what's going on in this post. Thanks a lot for your help, though.
Old 11-18-09, 11:03 PM

Thanked 1,130 Times in 623 Posts
CircularingCats has a spectacular aura aboutCircularingCats has a spectacular aura about

Welcome blerg!

Cats

Old 11-18-09, 11:09 PM
ADDvanced Contributor

Delboy31 is just really niceDelboy31 is just really niceDelboy31 is just really niceDelboy31 is just really nice

welcome....a newbie myself from socal....certainly seems like you young man are in the right place!