ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > TREATMENT & MANAGEMENT > Medications > Adderall
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Adderall (four amphetamine salts)

Old 07-30-18, 11:03 PM

vincent____ is on a distinguished road
Question Switched to adderall, but still having a few problems.

About 1(1/2)-2 months ago I was prescribed Concerta 18mg. Long story short It stopped working for me and all I got from it was headaches.

You can read more about it here

http://addforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=192010

Now 4 days ago I was prescribed Adderall IR 10mg from my doctor, 60 tablets, 2 a day. I started the same day I seen the doctor. First day I was some what motivated and really talkative and open with my family, but the next day taking it I was getting headaches that were interfering with my social doings.

Now to sum it all up, I have experienced this same problem with 2 different types of medication that treat ADHD, that were mentioned above. So I'm not comfortable switching medications due to mental health and I want to know if anyone has any problem solvers for these common issues or any past experiences.

Old 07-31-18, 04:26 AM
Mod-A-holic

Thanked 32,275 Times in 14,937 Posts
sarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Switched to adderall, but still having a few problems.

Believe it or not, its possible to be on to low of a dose and experience side effects. You might consider dexedrine. The reason I say that is because adderall contains levoamphetamine which can sometimes cause PNS stimulation which can sometimes lead to side effects like headhaches. Dexedrine is straight amphetamine without the levo and can be better tolerated in some people.

I carried a watermelon?
The Following User Says Thank You to sarahsweets For This Useful Post:
vincent____ (08-12-18)
Old 07-31-18, 05:26 AM
Contributor

Swissy is a glorious beacon of lightSwissy is a glorious beacon of lightSwissy is a glorious beacon of lightSwissy is a glorious beacon of lightSwissy is a glorious beacon of light

Drink a lot of water. Stims are dehydrating which can be the cause of your headaches. Also make sure you are eating enough since appetite loss can also be a s/e for some.
Sponsored Links
Old 07-31-18, 08:58 AM
ADDvanced Contributor

CharlesH is a name known to allCharlesH is a name known to allCharlesH is a name known to allCharlesH is a name known to allCharlesH is a name known to allCharlesH is a name known to allCharlesH is a name known to all

It might be worth trying a lower dose (2 x 5mg per day).
Old 07-31-18, 08:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlesH View Post
It might be worth trying a lower dose (2 x 5mg per day).
I'll try splitting the pill tomorrow and will also give you updates on how it goes.
Old 07-31-18, 09:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swissy View Post
Drink a lot of water. Stims are dehydrating which can be the cause of your headaches. Also make sure you are eating enough since appetite loss can also be a s/e for some.
Actually I agree with you because ever since I got the headache I was told by a pharmacist to eat healthy and I knew that, but I wasn't so convinced this caused this. So then I just resolved to taking Tylenol 500mg with something like a snack to eat but the headache was still there just not as bad. Until the day after taking Tylenol. I decided to starting having breakfast, lunch, and dinner, with Tylenol then ever since the headache was gone. But that doesn't get me through my 2nd IR booster because it brings back the headache.
Old 07-31-18, 10:18 PM

Exclamation Re: Switched to adderall, but still having a few problems.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarahsweets View Post
Believe it or not, its possible to be on to low of a dose and experience side effects. You might consider dexedrine. The reason I say that is because adderall contains levoamphetamine which can sometimes cause PNS stimulation which can sometimes lead to side effects like headhaches. Dexedrine is straight amphetamine without the levo and can be better tolerated in some people.
Although that is a possibility I don't feel safe upping the dosage because I've experienced muscle spasm with higher a dosage.
Old 08-02-18, 01:50 PM

Srjs28 is on a distinguished road

Have you ever tried Strattera? It’s a drug used to treat ADHD but is not a stimulant. I am currently taking that along with Adderall. But I was on Strattera for awhile before using a stimulant and I had noticeable, positive results. Sucky thing about it is that it can take up to 2 months to work. Took 6 weeks for me to say I noticed a difference.
Of course I do way better with both Adderall and Strattera together and I don’t get the headaches like you but I do have constant jaw clenching, teeth grinding and cheek sucking from Adderall and that is in a different thread/post
Old 08-03-18, 10:15 AM

piglet0131 is on a distinguished road

I will tell you when I was on Concerta I didn't have the headaches. However, when I was switched to Adderall I did. My doctor told me since both medicines can cause you to be dehydrated. That a lot times the headaches are caused from dehydration. To in crease my water. So I weight 272 pounds. So he has me drink 135 ounces a water a day an no more headaches. I hope this helps.
The Following User Says Thank You to piglet0131 For This Useful Post:
vincent____ (09-05-18)
Old 08-10-18, 09:03 PM
ADDvanced Member

BrandyDW is a jewel in the roughBrandyDW is a jewel in the roughBrandyDW is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by piglet0131 View Post
I will tell you when I was on Concerta I didn't have the headaches. However, when I was switched to Adderall I did. My doctor told me since both medicines can cause you to be dehydrated. That a lot times the headaches are caused from dehydration. To in crease my water. So I weight 272 pounds. So he has me drink 135 ounces a water a day an no more headaches. I hope this helps.
135 ounces of water is a lot, did you notice improvement before you got to the 135 ounces?

On Adderall for ADHD, lyrica for Fibromyalgia, lexapro and viibryd for depression and anxiety, cosentyx for psoriasis, cyclosporine for IC,
Old 08-12-18, 03:31 PM

Smile Re: Switched to adderall, but still having a few problems.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarahsweets View Post

Actually Sarah, I upped the dosage to 30mg and It got me to a stabled level.