ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > ADULTS AND ADD/ADHD > Adults with ADD > General ADD Talk
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Old 07-31-18, 12:35 PM

gillnick2045@ya is on a distinguished road
Question Not sure if I have adult Add or some anxiety or what? Help!

Hello, I am 18 years old and just about to finish my first semester in college, however I think i may be affected by mild ADHD or some type of social anxiety. I have also heard that undiagnosed ADHD can produce symptoms of social anxiety.
Whenever I read something that I am not interested in I have a hard time focusing, my mind just seems wander off, even when I am literally in the process of reading. After a paragraph or so, I catch myself from wandering off, and realize that I just read a bunch of information but cant even remember any of it.

Also, this is more on the milder side, but sometimes when I have a conversation with someone I don't know, I can wonder off, like when reading, and only retain bits and pieces of what they said, its like I have no interest or don't care too much about what they have to say.
I can also have trouble starting a conversation, partly to the fact that i can stutter sometimes, or tend to avoid human conflict, not often but in certain social situations.

Also on the more milder side is my procrastination, sometimes I think is no big deal if I put my assignment off till the last minute, as i underestimate the amount of time it will take me. As for disorganization or messiness, there is some there but it could just be because I can be lazy sometimes.

Switching over to the class room, my attention span is perfectly find sometimes, but I do find myself thinking a lot in my own head, often not paying enough attention to my professor. Also, sometimes I have bad anxiety in class, like when I am called on to answer a question, even when I know the answer, my mind will go blank and I will just kind of freeze up, or say ummmm.

Socially, whenever I feel like I am the center of attention, (standing up to go to the bathroom, talking to my professor when no one else is, etc.) I am nervous that i might make a mistake, and it will be really awkward, like I always assume the worst case scenario, and talk near as much as the other kids in my class.

Again, a lot of these symptoms seem to be on the milder, like they are not as extreme as the symptoms you would find online if you were to search adult ADHD or social anxiety. However, I do think there is a possibility for something there as these symptoms have sort of been present most of my life, I just never really thought anything of it.

I appreciate your feedback,
Thanks
Old 07-31-18, 03:53 PM
ADDvanced Member

Ronelh has disabled reputation
Re: Not sure if I have adult Add or some anxiety or what? Help!

Well, certainly ADDers do have these tendencies, but also some others that you haven't mentioned. For example, most (I'm tempted to say all) really struggle with disorganization and absentmindedness -- always misplacing car keys and the like. I have a whole bunch of coping mechanisms to help me not to forget stuff, but even so, I frequently do really absent-minded things like leaving the oven on, or going to the store to buy butter and coming back with canned peas instead.

Also, you seem to mainly describe your experiences in the classroom / college life. Do these symptoms affect other aspects of your life, such as work, home, recreational activities? ADD affects not only learning, but also all other aspects of a person's life.

Finally, just want to give a quick reminder that a forum is not a substitute for professional advice. If you are concerned and would like treatment, perhaps you could find a professional, either at your college or in your local community. Maybe you are already working on doing that. :-)

I hope the rest of your semester goes well!
Old 07-31-18, 04:15 PM
Contributor

LyrinMeow is a splendid one to beholdLyrinMeow is a splendid one to beholdLyrinMeow is a splendid one to beholdLyrinMeow is a splendid one to beholdLyrinMeow is a splendid one to beholdLyrinMeow is a splendid one to beholdLyrinMeow is a splendid one to behold

Well it does sound like you have some social anxiety going on and it sounds like it would match perfectly with CBT. It seems to do with the way you think about things as opposed to unprovoked full on panic attacks. So that's good. Easier to fix.

ADHD? If you have concerns I would see a psychiatrist (also for the CBT) and give them your symptoms and let them decide what they would diagnose you as. If you do have it from what you've said so far it's not debilitating so again that's workable.

Sounds like you have some problems but nothing live destroying. Whatever it is find out now and fix it before it gets any worse.
Sponsored Links
Old 07-31-18, 04:26 PM
ADDvanced Contributor

CharlesH is a name known to allCharlesH is a name known to allCharlesH is a name known to allCharlesH is a name known to allCharlesH is a name known to allCharlesH is a name known to allCharlesH is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by gillnick2045@ya View Post
However, I do think there is a possibility for something there as these symptoms have sort of been present most of my life, I just never really thought anything of it.
ADHD is a neurodevelopmental disorder with early childhood onset. It's not uncommon for people to go undiagnosed until adulthood, and you should be ready to explain to the psychiatrist why you've gone undiagnosed/untreated for this long. It can be helpful to have outside corroboration for your description of your childhood symptoms (parents, teacher reports, etc).
Old 08-02-18, 12:27 AM

Snflwrgrl is on a distinguished road

Congratulations on almost finishing your first semester in college. That’s great! When I was in school I had some of the same issues. Although I was never officially diagnosed with ADD I’d find myself daydreaming in classes that I wasn’t particularly interested in and missing parts of conversations. I was easily distracted. Many times I knew the answer but I couldn’t seem to get it out. I froze and I never thought anything of it either. As I’ve gotten older and I am more aware that I tend to do this I can catch myself and refocus. I think it’s a really good sign that you’re already realizing this about yourself. Have you considered seeing your doctor? My oldest son went through a series of tests before he was officially diagnosed with ADHD. He also suffered from anxiety and he stuttered. He went to private speech therapy where they taught him how to slow down and think about what he wanted to say before speaking and it has helped a lot! I wonder if something like that might help you. Hang in there! My son just graduated with his bachelor’s degree and he has a good paying job in Human Resources that he loves. I too have had a successful career in management. There is hope and a future. Thank you for sharing your story with us.
Old 08-02-18, 05:30 AM
Mod-A-holic

Thanked 31,662 Times in 14,620 Posts
sarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond repute

When did these symptoms start?

I carried a watermelon?