ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > TREATMENT & MANAGEMENT > Medications > Adderall
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Adderall (four amphetamine salts)

Old 09-09-04, 10:15 PM

David Smith is on a distinguished road
first day on Adderall, is euphoria normal?

I was just diagnosed with ADD, and started adderall XR today. I took 10mg at 7:30am before school, and now it is 7:00 PM. During the day, i could feel the effetcs kick in at 9am, and last for an hour, then 11:25am, which lasted for an hour, then at around 1:30 which alos lasted for an hour. during the classes where if felt it, I was better concentrated, worked better and fasted(math problems) read faster with more understandinf, participated MUCH more in class, and just felt very good about my study skills. I felt like i unlocked a part of my brain and now feel much smarter and efficient. However, during the few hours that it did kick it, i felt euphoria, similar to low dosages of marijuana, I felt very good, almost buzzed, however the good feelings only helped me more in class as it made me more attentive, conifident, and excited to learn. However I almost felt like I was a little high??? Is this normal?? Will it wear off? i actually dont want it to wear off, the good feelings only helped me in school, and improved the day. Thank you.

Last edited by David Smith; 09-09-04 at 10:38 PM..
Old 09-09-04, 11:59 PM

Toaster is on a distinguished road
damn i wish my doc would precribe me adderall, i just got bumped up on my concerta but so far no difference from the previous.
Old 09-10-04, 12:11 AM

RmCL is on a distinguished road
I think you feel like that the first couple of days. I always got the headaches, but then those went away after a few days too.

You just feel normal when it all equals out in your system.
Sponsored Links
Old 09-10-04, 12:12 AM

damn, i enjoyed it, i wish it would last the whole time
Old 09-10-04, 12:16 AM

u sure the good feelings wont stay? has anyone had good feelings constantly for a long period of time?
Old 09-10-04, 01:08 AM
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate

Thanked 3,331 Times in 1,335 Posts
Trooper Keith has a reputation beyond reputeTrooper Keith has a reputation beyond reputeTrooper Keith has a reputation beyond reputeTrooper Keith has a reputation beyond reputeTrooper Keith has a reputation beyond reputeTrooper Keith has a reputation beyond reputeTrooper Keith has a reputation beyond reputeTrooper Keith has a reputation beyond reputeTrooper Keith has a reputation beyond reputeTrooper Keith has a reputation beyond reputeTrooper Keith has a reputation beyond repute
The feelings of euphoria are simply caused by the introduction of a new stimulant to the brain. They will eventually pass, unfortunately, as your brain adapts to it, much like how some drugs require higher and higher doses to get the same effects. On the other hand, the actual focusing and ADHD releaving properties normally do not go away, so there is always that to look forward to.
Old 09-10-04, 01:17 AM

thanxxx, thats the reason y im taking it anyways, the good feelings were just icing on the cake
Old 09-10-04, 01:48 AM

Toaster is on a distinguished road
please can someone decribe the difference they feel, I cant focus at all, i have a a stack of books right next ot me that i have to read, two for now but soon after many more. I cant read them , i mean i know i should but i wont do it. i am watching dvds on my comp. what kind of feeling did the meds give you? I am in dire need of some motivation.
Old 09-10-04, 02:38 PM
Forum ADDvocate

Gregster has a spectacular aura aboutGregster has a spectacular aura about
The euphoria will pass, somewhat. So will the anorexic effects, to some degree (reduced appetite), but the positive effects on attention, and focus do not go away with time - neither does the drugs ability to keep you awake.
Stimulant won't give you motivation or keep you from procrastinating if you really don't want to do the work, but they will make it easier to keep from procrastinating if you DO want to do the work (at least it helps me in that way) - it's almost as if the amphetamines give you the adrenaline that you need to get started, just as a looming deadline does (ie."Oh my God, if I don't get finished, I'm going to fail") but without the panic!
The Following User Says Thank You to Gregster For This Useful Post:
400 Lux (02-21-14)
Old 09-13-04, 01:51 PM

KISSgirl is on a distinguished road
Yeah David - I WISH I could tell you those fantastic feelings last - but they don't. Prior to taking Adderall, I was given Strattera, which didn't do anything for me. And then came Adderall.... Well, let's just say I thought, "Oh my GOD! I can live my life now and get things accomplished and I've never felt so good and productive in my life!" I was thanking God up and down for FINALLY feeling like I'm suppose to. But sure enough, after a week of that, those feelings went away. I still stay awake and have clear sinuses, but focusing and all the other benefits are no longer along for the ride. And yes, I did up my dosage, but this only helped for a little while and I can't take more because it makes me too hot and jacked up feeling. My body gets soooo imune to any meds I take.

Good luck to you!
Old 09-18-04, 05:30 PM
Jr Member

Suq'Ata is on a distinguished road
Wow, this site is awesome. I just found it today as i was searching for information on Adderral and its already anwsered half my anwsers. Thank you, everyone who posted anwsers to these questions.

First, from my own perspective:
the euphoria lasted about a week, after it wore off i wondered if i already addapted to the medicine and began this search for information, and here lie my anwser.

Next, i have a few other questions if anyone has time or experience with these. I have not fully read all these threads so i might find the anwsers to my own questions later, and if i do I'll edit my post. Thank you for your time.

1) When the medicine is in effect I get cotton mouth. I tend to solve this by drinking water whenever it gets to bad, but does anyone else feel this, or have a better way to solve it?

2) Sometimes i can't sleep. I think its because when i study late i take the medicine late, should plan better and take it earlier?
2a) How long does the medicine last? I'm 24, semi-fit, and weigh about 125. It seems to kick in after about 30mins and last 4-5 hours, but i still cant seem to sleep 7-8 hours after taking the med.
2b) Will eating or excersising or drinking alot cycle the medicine through my system faster?

3) My upper shoulders and neck area get sore while the med is in effect, anyone else felt this?

4) The pharmacist gave me the generic version this time around, anyone notice a difference between the generic and origional?
EDIT 1:Semi-anwser found) http://www.addforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=4330

Thank you all for your time
tommy out~

Last edited by Suq'Ata; 09-18-04 at 05:47 PM..
Old 09-25-04, 09:36 AM
ADDvanced Member

kimo is on a distinguished road
The euphoria went away for me too. However, once in a while I still get that feeling. Probably has something to do with body chemistry at the time maybe. I don't know. But every once in awhile I do get a pleasant surprise from my dose.

I take 10 mg XR between 7 and 8 am. Then at 4 pm I take 5 mg immediate release. I have no problem sleeping. What's really odd is that I can stay up really late if I want (it helps me to "stay" awake). But once I go to bed I fall asleep right away. Every night I think I'm not going to be able to sleep and yet I fall asleep within 10 minutes.

My upper shoulders and neck were sore for the first few weeks. That side effect went away for me. Or maybe I just don't notice it anymore.

If you eat before you take your med (the XR version), according to the PI sheet for Adderall, the second dose will kick in 1 hour later than normal. Especially if you ate something high fat.

I always drink a lot of water during the day. Even before I started the meds. If I don't drink water for some reason, I get cotton mouth. But I never noticed a difference if the med went through faster or slower on those days.

I take my meds on an empty stomach and eat 1 to 2 hours later.

One surprise for me was the weight loss. I've lost 15 pounds. I don't have a scale at home and a couple people at work asked if I had lost weight. I weighed myself on the UPS scale at work and I was shocked to see I weigh 129. I haven't weighed that since before I got married 23 years ago! I thought my pants felt a bit baggy on me.

Anyone have any suggestions for preventing the weight loss? I mean without shooting ones cholesteral sky high!
Old 10-05-04, 02:17 PM
ADDvanced Member

bunnystar is on a distinguished road
Did anyone expierence sever swellling/bloating and swollen glands? I drank plenty of water (I am naturally a big water drinker and I drank 100-150 oz of water daily prior to Adderall). But my legs would swell and it the swelling was very visable in my face as well. Due to the negative side effects of this drug I don't want to take it anymore (panic attacks also). Did anyone expierence this swelling I speak of?
Old 10-10-04, 12:59 AM

bearce4 is on a distinguished road
That is weird you should mention the swelling. Although I do not visably see swelling in my legs I feel like my upper legs are swollen. It seems when I am walking my legs are rubbing together more. Since taking adderall my stomach is a little bloated. I have awful dry mouth, trouble sleeping and jaw/grinding while I sleep. One big thing is adult acne-actually it isn't even acne-it is little pimple like sores on the left side of my face. I did find some infomation concerning this-evidently if you carry the herpes virus you can be prone to these types of sores when taking certain types of medications. I believe I am going to stop taking the Adderall as I can not stand the little sores on my face. I hate the sight of them. The other day I took my son to the mall-as we were walking through JC Penney he looked at me and said "Your face looks awful-it looks like Dad beats you". 3 other things I have experienced with Adderall are: 1) My face always feels hot-like I am running a slight fever-I have even taken my temp. and it is normal. 2) Slight swelling of my neck glands sometimes. 3) I sweat more, my skin is oiler and my back tend to itch a lot. I believe all of these are side effects of Adderall. I am also taking Strattera, however, the side effects began before I started the strattera.
I would like to know if anyone else has experienced the small pimple like sores on their face?

Beth
Old 10-11-04, 03:06 PM
ADDvanced Member

bunnystar is on a distinguished road
Yes, me too, my face was almost always red in color, I felt like it really made me look a lot less pretty. My eyes were a little glassy, not "bright eyes" were gone, I broke out more as well but not as severly as you did. My face felt hot a lot, I felt I sweaty more as well! And it was mostly my thighs that would swell also. Normally my thighs do no touch but they would swell up so that they would. I would swell so much I would say I was going from a size 5/7 in juniors to an 11/13 in size. It was really bad swelling and I felt really terrible, like I had to lay down. Usually I would have a panic attack when it got this bad too, I don't know if it was because I was freaking out from being so swollen or because my heart rate was faster than usual at this point or so I thought. Glads would be swollen.

Sorry to hear that you had such bad acne from it and such negative comments too.

I just switched to strattera, (which I can't take either.... makes me feel like I have to pee urgently but nothing comes out, I can't live like that....) and I was reading the side effects, cautions, it said allergic reactions, swelling.... I am wondering if we are/were expierenceing an allergic reaction to adderall.