ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > CO-EXISTING CONDITIONS > Anxiety Disorders, OCD & PTSD
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Anxiety Disorders, OCD & PTSD A forum to discuss Anxiety, Generalized Anxiety Disorder, Obsessive Compulsive Disorder, Panic Disorder, Post-Traumatic Stress Disorder, Simple Phobias, and Social Anxiety Disorder

Old 09-19-11, 02:00 PM
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate

Thanked 4,317 Times in 1,871 Posts
pechemignonne has a reputation beyond reputepechemignonne has a reputation beyond reputepechemignonne has a reputation beyond reputepechemignonne has a reputation beyond reputepechemignonne has a reputation beyond reputepechemignonne has a reputation beyond reputepechemignonne has a reputation beyond reputepechemignonne has a reputation beyond reputepechemignonne has a reputation beyond reputepechemignonne has a reputation beyond reputepechemignonne has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Driving anxiety and slow processing speed

I can't even imagine trying to learn to drive a standard. Complete panic just considering it.

Quote:
Or is it an ADHD thing, and I'm actually correct in my judgement that I haven't obtained a clear enough understanding of the road situation from the first look round, and I really do need more time (more than is actually available) to make a decision to move forward?
I feel exactly the same way, I just can't make those decisions.

"I find a duck's opinion of me is very much influenced by whether or not I have bread. Ducks love bread, but they can't buy any. That's the biggest joke on the duck ever."
Mitch Hedberg

"You would be the world's worst ninja."
Pechemignonne's boyfriend
Old 09-19-11, 06:01 PM

Thanked 1,128 Times in 677 Posts
excel is a splendid one to beholdexcel is a splendid one to beholdexcel is a splendid one to beholdexcel is a splendid one to beholdexcel is a splendid one to beholdexcel is a splendid one to beholdexcel is a splendid one to beholdexcel is a splendid one to behold

I learned how to drive a stick shift, but the population wasn't like it is now. I wasn't in a big city
Old 09-20-11, 03:59 AM

Lostmyshoe will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by danelady View Post
When I am in my explorer I can't drive for sh*t. I get nervous,things happen too too fast. Everybody is flying way too fast for me down there.

When I am in the semi something magical happens. I am up high and in control and I have giant mirrors to help me see what's going on all around. I avoid driving in my explorer as much as possible.

I did just get a little motorhome and I just drove it for the first time this week. One good thing is its up high and easy to see the road ahead of me,but I am going to need to put bigger mirrors on it because I can't really see what's coming up along side me very well. Its important to use the mirrors but when they are too small you don't get a very good picture of what's coming up along side.

I just can't imagine driving in an itty bitty car anymore. I would have to stay off the interstates to stay alive.
LOL Danelady, I know how you feel. I drive a coach bus better than I drive my car.
Sponsored Links
Old 09-20-11, 09:06 AM
ADDvanced Forum Guru

Thanked 1,460 Times in 582 Posts
Kaimei has a reputation beyond reputeKaimei has a reputation beyond reputeKaimei has a reputation beyond reputeKaimei has a reputation beyond reputeKaimei has a reputation beyond reputeKaimei has a reputation beyond reputeKaimei has a reputation beyond reputeKaimei has a reputation beyond reputeKaimei has a reputation beyond reputeKaimei has a reputation beyond reputeKaimei has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by excel View Post
I learned how to drive a stick shift, but the population wasn't like it is now. I wasn't in a big city
Ditto here, but I drive an automatic now that I'm a city girl. Learning to drive a manual isn't such a big deal when you've been around them all your life, and you're dealing with significantly less traffic, distractions, and hazards.

My driving anxiety came more from my over-reactivity rather than slow processing speed. I noticed everything, and everything was equally ohmygod LOOK OUT! It made me a very nervous, erratic driver.

I didn't drive much because I felt I was just unsafe, and it was scary as h*ll. My brain reacted to everything like it was imminent danger, and I was scared I was going to hurt someone. Plus it was exhausting - I'd be in panic mode the entire time, heart racing, adrenal glands pumping, cold sweat, rigid muscles.

The Adderall has made a huge difference for me there - now driving is something I actually enjoy, for the most part. Traffic stresses me out, sure, but not any more than it does your average NT.
Old 09-20-11, 11:56 AM

excel is a splendid one to beholdexcel is a splendid one to beholdexcel is a splendid one to beholdexcel is a splendid one to beholdexcel is a splendid one to beholdexcel is a splendid one to beholdexcel is a splendid one to beholdexcel is a splendid one to behold

I wouldn't go back to driving a shift. They a pain
Old 09-20-11, 02:59 PM
ADDvanced Forum Guru

Thanked 1,460 Times in 582 Posts
Kaimei has a reputation beyond reputeKaimei has a reputation beyond reputeKaimei has a reputation beyond reputeKaimei has a reputation beyond reputeKaimei has a reputation beyond reputeKaimei has a reputation beyond reputeKaimei has a reputation beyond reputeKaimei has a reputation beyond reputeKaimei has a reputation beyond reputeKaimei has a reputation beyond reputeKaimei has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
I wouldn't go back to driving a shift. They a pain
I concur. Unless I'm doing something like hauling a trailer other other such situation that required lots of muscle and low gears, I'm sticking with my automatic! It's the best idea in a desert city.
Old 09-21-11, 12:58 PM

I used to think it was my anxiety was my whole issue deiving, But now I'm starting to think anxiety and slow processing speed play an equal part.
Old 09-21-11, 12:59 PM
Registered

Thanked 17,760 Times in 8,903 Posts
Abi has a reputation beyond reputeAbi has a reputation beyond reputeAbi has a reputation beyond reputeAbi has a reputation beyond reputeAbi has a reputation beyond reputeAbi has a reputation beyond reputeAbi has a reputation beyond reputeAbi has a reputation beyond reputeAbi has a reputation beyond reputeAbi has a reputation beyond reputeAbi has a reputation beyond repute

Pechemignonne:

You are VERY attractive.

(I still don't like you tho')

"I think David Archuleta's picture is starting to annoy me." - BellaVita

"A glass of water is healthier than a glass of vodka - but you don't substitute one for the other." - aeon

Follow ADDForums on Twitter & Facebook
Old 09-21-11, 01:10 PM

pechemignonne has a reputation beyond reputepechemignonne has a reputation beyond reputepechemignonne has a reputation beyond reputepechemignonne has a reputation beyond reputepechemignonne has a reputation beyond reputepechemignonne has a reputation beyond reputepechemignonne has a reputation beyond reputepechemignonne has a reputation beyond reputepechemignonne has a reputation beyond reputepechemignonne has a reputation beyond reputepechemignonne has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by abi2010 View Post
Pechemignonne:

You are VERY attractive.

I think you're still drunk.

Also, this doesn't help me learn to drive, abi.

"I find a duck's opinion of me is very much influenced by whether or not I have bread. Ducks love bread, but they can't buy any. That's the biggest joke on the duck ever."
Mitch Hedberg

Old 09-21-11, 01:15 PM
Suspended Account

Thanked 4,738 Times in 2,556 Posts
Blueranne has a reputation beyond reputeBlueranne has a reputation beyond reputeBlueranne has a reputation beyond reputeBlueranne has a reputation beyond reputeBlueranne has a reputation beyond reputeBlueranne has a reputation beyond reputeBlueranne has a reputation beyond reputeBlueranne has a reputation beyond reputeBlueranne has a reputation beyond reputeBlueranne has a reputation beyond reputeBlueranne has a reputation beyond repute

I learned with a stick. It was horrible because I also had my dad, who thinks all women are inept, breathing down my neck. Now, the anxiety isnt too bad but there are many times I wont leave the house just because I dont want to drive... I guess, I am either to anxious or not worried enough.

Abi, you must have found an open liqore store (or camped outside one until it opened)... Not that I think Peche is bad looking, I am just laughing at most of your posts today.
Old 09-21-11, 11:28 PM

Quote:
You are VERY attractive.

You know, you sound exactly like *all* of my ex-boyfriends.

The fact that you were probably hammered when you wrote this only increases the realism. Next you're going to tell me that you "borrowed" my bank card and now my rent money is gone and I'm 200$ overdraft.

Mitch Hedberg

Old 09-22-11, 03:37 PM

Quote:
Pechemignonne:

You are VERY attractive.

That's not a nice thing to say
Old 09-22-11, 03:40 PM

Quote:
That's not a nice thing to say
Obviously, you haven't been introduced.

So, does anyone have any ideas as to what can help slow processing speed? Because as I said, meds might help my impulsiveness and stuff, but the slow processing speed is what is really getting in the way of my learning to drive.

Mitch Hedberg

Last edited by pechemignonne; 09-22-11 at 03:42 PM.. Reason: getting back on topic...
Old 09-23-11, 11:24 AM

I think some meds can help.
Old 09-28-11, 10:52 AM

I wonder if you can get rid of the anxiety with improving processing speed