ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > CO-EXISTING CONDITIONS > Anxiety Disorders, OCD & PTSD
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Anxiety Disorders, OCD & PTSD A forum to discuss Anxiety, Generalized Anxiety Disorder, Obsessive Compulsive Disorder, Panic Disorder, Post-Traumatic Stress Disorder, Simple Phobias, and Social Anxiety Disorder

Old 10-04-11, 12:43 PM
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate

Thanked 1,127 Times in 676 Posts
excel is a splendid one to beholdexcel is a splendid one to beholdexcel is a splendid one to beholdexcel is a splendid one to beholdexcel is a splendid one to beholdexcel is a splendid one to beholdexcel is a splendid one to beholdexcel is a splendid one to behold
Re: Driving anxiety and slow processing speed

Does it get worse with age
Old 10-11-11, 01:03 PM

excel is a splendid one to beholdexcel is a splendid one to beholdexcel is a splendid one to beholdexcel is a splendid one to beholdexcel is a splendid one to beholdexcel is a splendid one to beholdexcel is a splendid one to beholdexcel is a splendid one to behold

Does any medication work for anxiety and processing speed
Old 10-18-11, 05:50 PM

What is the difference between slow processing speed and sensory overload?
Sponsored Links
Old 10-18-11, 06:02 PM

Thanked 4,317 Times in 1,871 Posts
pechemignonne has a reputation beyond reputepechemignonne has a reputation beyond reputepechemignonne has a reputation beyond reputepechemignonne has a reputation beyond reputepechemignonne has a reputation beyond reputepechemignonne has a reputation beyond reputepechemignonne has a reputation beyond reputepechemignonne has a reputation beyond reputepechemignonne has a reputation beyond reputepechemignonne has a reputation beyond reputepechemignonne has a reputation beyond repute

I think I would feel less anxious if I could process more quickly. I'm not sure it would totally disappear, but I think it would be reduced. At this point, I can't even imagine going in for a driving test, because I can't go faster than 30 Kph, and even then...

If I am paying attention to any one thing, I forget everything else. I think it's also the physical aspects of driving for me, I already have trouble being asked to do more than one thing at a time, and I already have trouble with my left and right, for example. I get lost walking around. I fall over my own feet. I can't learn complex dance moves. I can't catch a ball. I feel like driving is a similar problem for me.

I forget which foot is over the brake and which is over the accelerator. This is not good. I also don't seem to be able to keep track of what gear I'm in, so I sometimes go forward when I think I'm in reverse. Also, very bad. And it isn't something that will probably get better, given that similar things continue to cause me trouble despite practice.

For example, I always forget which burner exhausts from my oven. Things get melted.

This is more along the lines of the negative effects I don't mind having on the world. The potential negative effects of me driving includes killing small children. So, I think I'll just keep being dependent on my wonderful bf.

"I find a duck's opinion of me is very much influenced by whether or not I have bread. Ducks love bread, but they can't buy any. That's the biggest joke on the duck ever."
Mitch Hedberg

"You would be the world's worst ninja."
Pechemignonne's boyfriend
The Following User Says Thank You to pechemignonne For This Useful Post:
Celeste (11-15-11)
Old 10-18-11, 08:46 PM
ADDvanced Member

Marzipan has a spectacular aura aboutMarzipan has a spectacular aura about

I used to be really anxious about driving, and most people who have to ride with me seem really uncomfortable, always grabbing things for support.

Once driving became instinctual instead of a constant thought process, the anxiety went away a bit. Getting confused between the break and gas, for instance, that ceases being a conscious thought eventually, and you can start focusing on everything else. I'm finally getting to the point where I can drive on the interstate in a big city without being stressed out about it, but there are still a lot of moments (especially when I have a passenger) that I come very close to rear-ending people. Passengers always complain that my stops are too abrupt and my corners to sharp. I drive a vehicle with a high center of gravity, so one of these days I'm just going to tip right over.

I've never caused a wreck, though, which is more than I can say for virtually every member of my family.

Edit: Oh, and I concur with the being more comfortable going fast part. The tires on my vehicle are too big so I'm actually always going 5 miles faster than my speedometer says, and I like that just fine!
Old 10-18-11, 08:59 PM
Forum Guru

eeyore is on a distinguished roadeeyore is on a distinguished roadeeyore is on a distinguished roadeeyore is on a distinguished roadeeyore is on a distinguished roadeeyore is on a distinguished roadeeyore is on a distinguished roadeeyore is on a distinguished roadeeyore is on a distinguished roadeeyore is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by excel View Post
Does it get worse with age
I think it can get better with practice, though I guess if you had a bad experience the opposite could happen

I love driving but have anxiety for driving in traffic, esp turning across oncoming traffic, and four way stops.

I found it helped to practice driving through downtown late at night, when there was very little traffic.
Old 10-18-11, 10:26 PM
Forum ADDvocate

Thanked 1,208 Times in 677 Posts
C8H10N4O2 is a splendid one to beholdC8H10N4O2 is a splendid one to beholdC8H10N4O2 is a splendid one to beholdC8H10N4O2 is a splendid one to beholdC8H10N4O2 is a splendid one to beholdC8H10N4O2 is a splendid one to beholdC8H10N4O2 is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by eeyore View Post
I think it can get better with practice, though I guess if you had a bad experience the opposite could happen

I love driving but have anxiety for driving in traffic, esp turning across oncoming traffic, and four way stops.

I found it helped to practice driving through downtown late at night, when there was very little traffic.
Yes. This. x100. I get so bored when driving that I usually talk on the phone. The people who know me know that when I yell out something about needing them to hold on that I'm just making a turn, or going through a 4 way stop. Luckily, the people I know are cool it with.

When I first started driving, I grew quickly tired of it. I just would rather have someone else drive me. My parents thought something was weird because I was one of the only teenagers they knew that had almost no interest in driving.

A few years down the road, I was finally diagnosed with having an anxiety disorder as a comorbid condition with my ADHD-PI.
Old 10-18-11, 10:49 PM

pechemignonne has a reputation beyond reputepechemignonne has a reputation beyond reputepechemignonne has a reputation beyond reputepechemignonne has a reputation beyond reputepechemignonne has a reputation beyond reputepechemignonne has a reputation beyond reputepechemignonne has a reputation beyond reputepechemignonne has a reputation beyond reputepechemignonne has a reputation beyond reputepechemignonne has a reputation beyond reputepechemignonne has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
I'm finally getting to the point where I can drive on the interstate in a big city without being stressed out about it, but there are still a lot of moments (especially when I have a passenger) that I come very close to rear-ending people. Passengers always complain that my stops are too abrupt and my corners to sharp. I drive a vehicle with a high center of gravity, so one of these days I'm just going to tip right over.
Quote:
I get so bored when driving that I usually talk on the phone. The people who know me know that when I yell out something about needing them to hold on that I'm just making a turn, or going through a 4 way stop. Luckily, the people I know are cool it with.
All of this just confirms my suspicion that me not driving is best for everyone concerned. Despite how much my bf would love to get to sleep in instead of drive me to work.

"I find a duck's opinion of me is very much influenced by whether or not I have bread. Ducks love bread, but they can't buy any. That's the biggest joke on the duck ever."
Mitch Hedberg

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to pechemignonne For This Useful Post:
C8H10N4O2 (10-19-11), Marzipan (10-18-11), Massari (10-18-11)
Old 10-20-11, 01:59 PM

I would still try it
Old 11-21-11, 03:34 PM

Can anyone really tell the difference?
Old 11-21-11, 04:47 PM
Contributor

emploding has a spectacular aura aboutemploding has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by excel View Post
Can anyone really tell the difference?
The difference of what?

Dx: Bipolar II, ADD, DID, PTSD, Anxiety disorders, Eating disorder

Rx: Citalopram, Topamax, Ritalin
Old 11-22-11, 01:37 AM

The difference between driving with or without medication, I think.

Mitch Hedberg

Old 11-23-11, 12:21 PM

weather its caused by anxiety or processing speed
Old 11-23-11, 12:44 PM

Oh, I thought the issue was driving anxiety *caused* by slow processing speed.

For me it's more about whether it's the other ADHD symptoms: impulsiveness, distractibility, etc., causing my driving issues, or if it's slow processing speed, or both.

Mitch Hedberg

Old 11-23-11, 01:14 PM
ADDvanced Forum Guru

Thanked 1,265 Times in 617 Posts
grape_ninja has much to be proud ofgrape_ninja has much to be proud ofgrape_ninja has much to be proud ofgrape_ninja has much to be proud ofgrape_ninja has much to be proud ofgrape_ninja has much to be proud ofgrape_ninja has much to be proud ofgrape_ninja has much to be proud ofgrape_ninja has much to be proud of

I am ADD-I I have virtually no anxiety while driving and have moderate processing speed issues. Have been this way with driving my whole life. I was dx and received meds about 6 months ago at that point I started driving slower and would find myself in close calls more than without meds.