ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > ADDForums FRONT OFFICE > Forums Help, Q&A
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Old 06-15-14, 05:51 AM
Mod-A-holic

Thanked 33,094 Times in 15,350 Posts
sarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Why are there so many lurkers?

sometimes lurkers have to make it through the hazing phase first- you know, all of those keg stands and such.

I carried a watermelon?
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to sarahsweets For This Useful Post:
Arthas (06-25-14), mctavish23 (06-26-14), Ms. Mango (06-15-14), namazu (06-15-14), Tetrahedra (06-16-14)
Old 06-25-14, 02:14 PM

bedtime is on a distinguished road

Many people want to post but feel so scattered, unmotivated, and despondent, that we can scarcely read the first post let alone offer insight.

I don't like to offer advice unless I have empirical information; anyone can speculate. I'd prefer not to waste anyones time or lead them astray.
The Following User Says Thank You to bedtime For This Useful Post:
namazu (06-26-14)
Old 06-25-14, 10:04 PM
Jr Member

Arthas is a jewel in the roughArthas is a jewel in the roughArthas is a jewel in the rough

I've noticed from myself, sometimes there's nothing to add to a certain topic. Sometimes it's just people trying to glean some information by just reading other threads.

Living with two ADHDers is like being pelted with a million ping-pong balls all at once, but you love them anyways.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Arthas For This Useful Post:
Lunacie (06-25-14), namazu (06-26-14)
Sponsored Links
Old 06-25-14, 11:46 PM
ADDvanced Member

vpilar has a spectacular aura aboutvpilar has a spectacular aura about

Why are there so many lurkers? .. well.. I could be one of these lurkers.. so this thread applies to me .. so I have something to contribute.. Here is my contribution:

mmmm Let's think "why"

---Because they are on Ritallin and the thread is asking about Adderall and they have nothing to contribute, but they're still carious to read?, or

---Because it's easier to read rather than to write?, or

---Because they thought they would respond to the thread, but now they realize that they are too tired and down, since their medication is wearing off?, or

---Because they have AD(H)D?, or

---Because they are perfectionist, and they have to either write a number 100 comment or No comment at all, and they prefer the second?, or

---Because they realize that they have spent 3 hours of their valuable hyperfocus-post-adderall-time, on writing a very detailed and well organized response to one the threads here (instead of working on their thesis) and they are not in the mood for wrting more comments, as they spend the rest of the day swearing themselves why they did that, while lurking in the forum. or,

---Because there are many threads written/updated everyday, and they like to read all of them but they can't respond to all? They have to choose a few (time, motivation, mood, nerve, etc)

---Because they stop in the middle of writing a comment and they don't finish it?, or

---Because no question has been specifically asked in the thread and they don't care enough to make a random comment just to support? or
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to vpilar For This Useful Post:
Fuzzy12 (06-27-14), mctavish23 (06-26-14), namazu (06-26-14), peripatetic (06-26-14)
Old 06-26-14, 03:14 PM
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate

Thanked 26,913 Times in 12,558 Posts
Lunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by vpilar View Post

---Because they are on Ritallin and the thread is asking about Adderall and they have nothing to contribute, but they're still carious to read?, or

or
This thread is, and always has been, in the Forums Help section.
It's not in the Adderall section, and the OP doesn't say anything about Adderall.

As far as I know, there is nothing positive about ADHD that people can't have w out ADHD. ~ ADD me
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Lunacie For This Useful Post:
mctavish23 (06-26-14), namazu (06-26-14), vpilar (06-27-14)
Old 06-26-14, 05:52 PM
Contrapunctual Moderator

Thanked 21,418 Times in 10,804 Posts
namazu has a reputation beyond reputenamazu has a reputation beyond reputenamazu has a reputation beyond reputenamazu has a reputation beyond reputenamazu has a reputation beyond reputenamazu has a reputation beyond reputenamazu has a reputation beyond reputenamazu has a reputation beyond reputenamazu has a reputation beyond reputenamazu has a reputation beyond reputenamazu has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lunacie View Post
It's not in the Adderall section, and the OP doesn't say anything about Adderall.
I think vpilar was just using this scenario as one example of a case where someone might read a thread but not post. It's not specifically targeted at the OP of this thread, if I'm reading it correctly. (Vpilar, what say you?)

It does happen a fair amount that someone is taking one medication but is curious about another treatment, so browses threads about meds with which s/he lacks personal experience and doesn't post.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to namazu For This Useful Post:
Fuzzy12 (06-27-14), mctavish23 (06-26-14), peripatetic (06-26-14), vpilar (06-27-14)
Old 06-26-14, 05:56 PM

Lunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by namazu View Post
I think vpilar was just using this scenario as one example of a case where someone might read a thread but not post. It's not specifically targeted at the OP of this thread, if I'm reading it correctly. (Vpilar, what say you?)

It does happen a fair amount that someone is taking one medication but is curious about another treatment, so browses threads about meds with which s/he lacks personal experience and doesn't post.
Oh, I see. That may be it then. Thanks.

As far as I know, there is nothing positive about ADHD that people can't have w out ADHD. ~ ADD me
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Lunacie For This Useful Post:
mctavish23 (06-26-14), namazu (06-26-14), vpilar (06-27-14)
Old 06-26-14, 06:18 PM

Thanked 10,443 Times in 3,292 Posts
Dizfriz has a reputation beyond reputeDizfriz has a reputation beyond reputeDizfriz has a reputation beyond reputeDizfriz has a reputation beyond reputeDizfriz has a reputation beyond reputeDizfriz has a reputation beyond reputeDizfriz has a reputation beyond reputeDizfriz has a reputation beyond reputeDizfriz has a reputation beyond reputeDizfriz has a reputation beyond reputeDizfriz has a reputation beyond repute

I think this forum is of such great service *because* there are so many lurkers (guests). Look at the ratio between guests and members. They appear to come here to read and not necessarily to participate. To me, it shows we are doing something right.

I feel that there are a lot of people out there who are trying to understand ADHD and they come here and can get a lot of information but more importantly, insight from people who are dealing with the disorder on an everyday basis.

I think this is invaluable and there is no other resource that has this in such quantity, quality and depth.

Google "ADHD forum" and there we are, right on top of the list.

Cool!

Dizfriz
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Dizfriz For This Useful Post:
daveddd (06-26-14), Lunacie (06-26-14), mctavish23 (06-26-14), namazu (06-26-14), peripatetic (06-26-14), vpilar (06-27-14)
Old 06-26-14, 06:33 PM

Thanked 11,399 Times in 5,569 Posts
daveddd has a reputation beyond reputedaveddd has a reputation beyond reputedaveddd has a reputation beyond reputedaveddd has a reputation beyond reputedaveddd has a reputation beyond reputedaveddd has a reputation beyond reputedaveddd has a reputation beyond reputedaveddd has a reputation beyond reputedaveddd has a reputation beyond reputedaveddd has a reputation beyond reputedaveddd has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dizfriz View Post
I think this forum is of such great service *because* there are so many lurkers (guests). Look at the ratio between guests and members. They appear to come here to read and not necessarily to participate. To me, it shows we are doing something right.

I feel that there are a lot of people out there who are trying to understand ADHD and they come here and can get a lot of information but more importantly, insight from people who are dealing with the disorder on an everyday basis.

I think this is invaluable and there is no other resource that has this in such quantity, quality and depth.

Google "ADHD forum" and there we are, right on top of the list.

Cool!

Dizfriz
yep, half the time i research something ill get a hit here

this is a very well informed forum

from every angle
Dizfriz (06-26-14), vpilar (06-27-14)
Old 06-26-14, 07:27 PM

Thanked 4,273 Times in 2,419 Posts
eclectic beagle has a reputation beyond reputeeclectic beagle has a reputation beyond reputeeclectic beagle has a reputation beyond reputeeclectic beagle has a reputation beyond reputeeclectic beagle has a reputation beyond reputeeclectic beagle has a reputation beyond reputeeclectic beagle has a reputation beyond reputeeclectic beagle has a reputation beyond reputeeclectic beagle has a reputation beyond reputeeclectic beagle has a reputation beyond reputeeclectic beagle has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by daveddd View Post
yep, half the time i research something ill get a hit here

this is a very well informed forum

from every angle
All roads lead back to addf.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to eclectic beagle For This Useful Post:
Dizfriz (06-27-14), mctavish23 (06-26-14), vpilar (06-27-14)
Old 06-27-14, 12:35 AM
ADDvanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by namazu View Post

Yep! That's exactly what I meant ... Thanks for the explanation, namazu.
The Following User Says Thank You to vpilar For This Useful Post:
namazu (06-27-14)
Old 06-27-14, 12:53 AM
ADDvanced Member

Quote:
hahaha Sorry for the misunderstanding! I think the way I wrote it was confusing! ... As namazu kindly clarified it, what I meant was just some scenarios as examples of lurking cases ... I should have said "let's assume that somebody is on....", instead of saying "Because they are on...."

..However,, I wanna admit that before reading namazu's response, I didn't know there is a difference between "post" and "thread" (Now I think I know!)
In what I wrote here, all of the "threads" should be replaced by "OP or the post) .. that could be one thing that caused the confusion...
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to vpilar For This Useful Post:
Lunacie (06-27-14), namazu (06-27-14)
Old 06-27-14, 01:05 AM
ADDvanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by vpilar View Post
I wanna admit that before reading namazu's response, I didn't know there is a difference between "post" and "thread" (Now I think I know!)
In what I wrote here, all of the "threads" should be replaced by "OP or the post)
.. I just wanna add this: I was just lurking around (I hope this is not a horrible use of English), and realized that I still don't know the difference between the "post" and "thread" ....
The Following User Says Thank You to vpilar For This Useful Post:
namazu (06-27-14)
Old 06-27-14, 10:48 AM

A post is one individual response.

A thread is a collection of posts/responses related to the posted topic.

Hope that makes it a little clearer.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Lunacie For This Useful Post:
namazu (06-27-14), vpilar (06-27-14)
Old 06-27-14, 11:22 AM
ADDvanced Member

Quote:
A post is one individual response.

A thread is a collection of posts/responses related to the posted topic.

Hope that makes it a little clearer.
Yeas it does! Thanks
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to vpilar For This Useful Post:
Lunacie (06-27-14), namazu (06-27-14)