ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > TREATMENT & MANAGEMENT > Medications > Ritalin
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Ritalin (methylphenidate)

Old 01-14-19, 06:31 PM

JellyBelly is on a distinguished road
Ritalin - Dosing & Acute Tolerance

Anyone here understand the concept of acute tolerance with respect to Ritalin?

I"m curious if taking a half dose a couple of hours after an initial (first) dose is pointless due to acute tolerance or if one would have to take a higher dose?
Old 01-14-19, 06:53 PM
Committee Member

Emre22 is a name known to allEmre22 is a name known to allEmre22 is a name known to allEmre22 is a name known to allEmre22 is a name known to allEmre22 is a name known to all
Re: Ritalin - Dosing & Acute Tolerance

How many mgs do you take?
Old 01-15-19, 07:35 AM
Mod-A-holic

Thanked 33,094 Times in 15,350 Posts
sarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond repute

I read that acute tolerance is a theory that they are doing studies on so it does seem to exist but that its more rare than common.

I carried a watermelon?
Sponsored Links
Old 01-19-19, 05:38 PM

JellyBelly is on a distinguished road

No, I think it's real and that's why a constant rate of ritalin won't work - something i read when they were trying to develop extended-release formulas.

Taking IR every few hours isn't the same as the amount goes up and down with each dose - vs a literal constant release.

I don't even remember why i asked (lol) but thought I'd share that little bit

And if I remember why i asked I'll come back! LoL :P
The Following User Says Thank You to JellyBelly For This Useful Post:
namazu (01-19-19)
Old 01-19-19, 07:24 PM
Contrapunctual Moderator

Thanked 21,421 Times in 10,806 Posts
namazu has a reputation beyond reputenamazu has a reputation beyond reputenamazu has a reputation beyond reputenamazu has a reputation beyond reputenamazu has a reputation beyond reputenamazu has a reputation beyond reputenamazu has a reputation beyond reputenamazu has a reputation beyond reputenamazu has a reputation beyond reputenamazu has a reputation beyond reputenamazu has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarahsweets View Post
I read that acute tolerance is a theory that they are doing studies on so it does seem to exist but that its more rare than common.
Acute tolerance is called "tachyphylaxis" in medical terms.

It is very much real, not at all rare, and it is the precise reason that some long-acting meds release a slightly larger amount later in the day than early in the day.

This is a different issue from possible long-term tolerance to the therapeutic effects of medication. It's not controversial.

JellyBelly -- as to your original question, it would depend why you were taking the half-dose. Was it to extend the therapeutic effect, or to smooth out the period where the meds wear off, or...?
The Following User Says Thank You to namazu For This Useful Post:
JellyBeanBear (03-16-19)
Old 01-20-19, 07:00 AM
Mod-A-holic

Thanked 33,094 Times in 15,350 Posts
sarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by namazu View Post
Acute tolerance is called "tachyphylaxis" in medical terms.

It is very much real, not at all rare, and it is the precise reason that some long-acting meds release a slightly larger amount later in the day than early in the day.

This is a different issue from possible long-term tolerance to the therapeutic effects of medication. It's not controversial.

JellyBelly -- as to your original question, it would depend why you were taking the half-dose. Was it to extend the therapeutic effect, or to smooth out the period where the meds wear off, or...?
My apologies..I only read one article and it said something like "acute tolerance does exist but it is likely that a small subset of the population experiences it" Now that I know the real name I can read more about it.

I carried a watermelon?
The Following User Says Thank You to sarahsweets For This Useful Post:
namazu (01-20-19)
Old 01-20-19, 12:33 PM
Contrapunctual Moderator

Thanked 21,421 Times in 10,806 Posts
namazu has a reputation beyond reputenamazu has a reputation beyond reputenamazu has a reputation beyond reputenamazu has a reputation beyond reputenamazu has a reputation beyond reputenamazu has a reputation beyond reputenamazu has a reputation beyond reputenamazu has a reputation beyond reputenamazu has a reputation beyond reputenamazu has a reputation beyond reputenamazu has a reputation beyond repute

I should also be more cautious here, because I haven't read a lot on this subject (tachyphylaxis) lately.

Here's a review from 2005 that discusses different long-acting stimulants and their delivery/effect profiles. (Caveat: some of the info comes from the drug companies, and they have a vested interest in demonstrating their new products are superior.)
The Following User Says Thank You to namazu For This Useful Post:
JellyBeanBear (09-07-19)
Old 02-01-19, 06:05 PM
ADDvanced Contributor

CharlesH is a name known to allCharlesH is a name known to allCharlesH is a name known to allCharlesH is a name known to allCharlesH is a name known to allCharlesH is a name known to allCharlesH is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by JellyBelly View Post
Anyone here understand the concept of acute tolerance with respect to Ritalin?
I've heard about it being the basis for Concerta's rate of release.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JellyBelly View Post
I"m curious if taking a half dose a couple of hours after an initial (first) dose is pointless due to acute tolerance or if one would have to take a higher dose?
What about taking the half-dose at the beginning, and a full-dose a couple hours later?
The Following User Says Thank You to CharlesH For This Useful Post:
JellyBeanBear (09-07-19)
Old 03-16-19, 06:21 PM

JellyBeanBear is on a distinguished road

Thanks for everyone's replies. I think i was asking because i was looking at lowering the dose and staggering the pills with a greater overlap so as not to get the major ups and downs. But i later read some people do actually do just that - either due to being faster metabolizers or to avoid the peaks and valleys. Also it seems that many people find the second (or third) dose of the day doens't seem to work anywhere near as well as the first - and I've had that same experience. Not sure what that's about except maybe the dose needs to be higher in the afternoon as well for the same reasons (tachyphylaxis). Just musing - thanks again for the replies.