ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > ADDForums FRONT OFFICE > Forums Help, Q&A
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 03-01-08, 12:06 AM
Banned

Matt S. is just really niceMatt S. is just really niceMatt S. is just really niceMatt S. is just really nice
Re: Rep Power

I believe if there was a comment that was rude, flaming or inappropriate, you could bring it to the attention to one of the administrators by sending them a PM. Andi, Andrew and Kimalimah are the ones that will help you the best and the other person will subsequently receive an infraction. I doubt they will do anything about someone disapproving with a post and leaving a reasonable answer like, I disagree with your opinion, you didn't elaborate, you seemed rude, those don't warrant any warnings.

I don't know if that is a feature that is available, Andrew was just here and he would've answered that question if there was.
Old 03-01-08, 12:07 AM
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate

Thanked 3,338 Times in 1,909 Posts
Bluerose has a reputation beyond reputeBluerose has a reputation beyond reputeBluerose has a reputation beyond reputeBluerose has a reputation beyond reputeBluerose has a reputation beyond reputeBluerose has a reputation beyond reputeBluerose has a reputation beyond reputeBluerose has a reputation beyond reputeBluerose has a reputation beyond reputeBluerose has a reputation beyond reputeBluerose has a reputation beyond repute

Matt,

Well see that's another good point, you don't have to explain why you brought something up, your rep speaks for you.

I must confess to becoming a little paranoid too at 'redies'. But the thing to remember here is that most comments good and bad say more about the person commenting than it does about you or me. Don't you think?
Old 03-01-08, 12:19 AM

Thanked 26,912 Times in 12,558 Posts
Lunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt S. View Post
I believe if there was a comment that was rude, flaming or inappropriate, you could bring it to the attention to one of the administrators by sending them a PM. Andi, Andrew and Kimalimah are the ones that will help you the best and the other person will subsequently receive an infraction. I doubt they will do anything about someone disapproving with a post and leaving a reasonable answer like, I disagree with your opinion, you didn't elaborate, you seemed rude, those don't warrant any warnings.

I don't know if that is a feature that is available, Andrew was just here and he would've answered that question if there was.
Yes, I understand about red comments, and Andrew confirmed that. But he didn't answer my question about whether there is any way to know who left the comment. I don't assume that there isn't any way just because he didn't answer with a simple "yes" or "no."

I read through the FAQ about rep power and didn't see the answer there, which is why I came here to ask.

(I don't care whether it was red or green, I'm just generally curious about these things and I'm used to a forum where it shows who left the comment).

As far as I know, there is nothing positive about ADHD that people can't have w out ADHD. ~ ADD me
Sponsored Links
Old 03-01-08, 12:21 AM
Banned

Matt S. is just really niceMatt S. is just really niceMatt S. is just really niceMatt S. is just really nice

I am trying to help you, thank you.

Andrew is online now maybe you can send him a PM and ask him, he may be able to help you better that way.

Last edited by Matt S.; 03-01-08 at 12:33 AM..
The Following User Says Thank You to Matt S. For This Useful Post:
Lunacie (03-01-08)
Old 03-01-08, 12:24 AM

Lunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lunacie View Post
No, I said I'm not aware of who left me comments (either red or green), and I would like to know the authors.
I just got negative rep power for writing this, saying I was rude. I was just trying to clarify - and from Matt's response, he understood that.

As far as I know, there is nothing positive about ADHD that people can't have w out ADHD. ~ ADD me
Old 03-01-08, 12:59 AM

Thanked 3,338 Times in 1,909 Posts
Bluerose has a reputation beyond reputeBluerose has a reputation beyond reputeBluerose has a reputation beyond reputeBluerose has a reputation beyond reputeBluerose has a reputation beyond reputeBluerose has a reputation beyond reputeBluerose has a reputation beyond reputeBluerose has a reputation beyond reputeBluerose has a reputation beyond reputeBluerose has a reputation beyond reputeBluerose has a reputation beyond repute

I’m with you. It would be nice to know who to thank for positive comments and who to avoid for negative ones.
Old 03-01-08, 01:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluerose View Post
Iím with you. It would be nice to know who to thank for positive comments and who to avoid for negative ones.
Seems like common sense, doesn't it?

Old 03-01-08, 01:03 AM
Banned

I used to have a poor reputation and now I have two green squares and just about every day I get on there, there are for the most part more approved comments, I tend not to worry too much about the negative one every now and then. It seems as though other people take it more personally and allow it to disintegrate their self image as a member on this site but here's how I see it... Who really cares what other people think? If you were getting infractions and were on the verge of getting banned, that would be the right time to worry. You seem like a member in good standing Lunacie as far as I can observe.
The Following User Says Thank You to Matt S. For This Useful Post:
Imnapl (03-01-08)
Old 03-01-08, 01:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt S. View Post
I am trying to help you, thank you.

Andrew is online now maybe you can send him a PM and ask him, he may be able to help you better that way.
Thanks, I did that several minutes ago, just waiting for a reply.

Old 03-01-08, 02:09 AM

Tara is a name known to allTara is a name known to allTara is a name known to allTara is a name known to allTara is a name known to allTara is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrazzleDazzle View Post
I wonder if we can ask about removing the redbox? This is a support forum, for encouragement, we don't need an anonymous feature where we can slam others. No wonder it was once disabled.
I know I hate the red boxes. I have over 5000 posts and the 3 red boxes I have really really get me. People are lot more likely to leave anonymous negative reps than positive ones.

I should watch what I say here too...I'm sure I'll get more people giving red boxes now...lol
Old 03-01-08, 10:36 AM

Thanked 1,635 Times in 884 Posts
FrazzleDazzle has much to be proud ofFrazzleDazzle has much to be proud ofFrazzleDazzle has much to be proud ofFrazzleDazzle has much to be proud ofFrazzleDazzle has much to be proud ofFrazzleDazzle has much to be proud ofFrazzleDazzle has much to be proud ofFrazzleDazzle has much to be proud ofFrazzleDazzle has much to be proud ofFrazzleDazzle has much to be proud of

Quote:
I just got negative rep power for writing this, saying I was rude. I was just trying to clarify - and from Matt's response, he understood that.
Are you SERIOUS??????

Ug.
Old 03-01-08, 10:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tara View Post
I know I hate the red boxes. I have over 5000 posts and the 3 red boxes I have really really get me. People are lot more likely to leave anonymous negative reps than positive ones.

I should watch what I say here too...I'm sure I'll get more people giving red boxes now...lol
Eeep, I hadn't followed the thought that far. Some people probably are more willing to leave negative reps if they can be anonymous.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrazzleDazzle View Post
Are you SERIOUS??????

Ug.
Posting it publically that someone completely misunderstood my intention and left me a red rep dot isn't usually my first reaction - but it was so completly unfounded that it left me dumbfounded.

I think negative rep points can be used to intimidate, especially when the giver can remain anonymous. This absolutely makes my hackles go up - or makes my fur rise (depending on whether you're a cat person or a dog person). Many of us already have low self-esteem from being out of place in a NeuroTypical society.

I vote to either A) make the rep comments show who made them or B) do away with them altogether.

The Following User Says Thank You to Lunacie For This Useful Post:
Imnapl (03-01-08)
Old 03-01-08, 11:18 AM

FrazzleDazzle has much to be proud ofFrazzleDazzle has much to be proud ofFrazzleDazzle has much to be proud ofFrazzleDazzle has much to be proud ofFrazzleDazzle has much to be proud ofFrazzleDazzle has much to be proud ofFrazzleDazzle has much to be proud ofFrazzleDazzle has much to be proud ofFrazzleDazzle has much to be proud ofFrazzleDazzle has much to be proud of

Quote:
I think negative rep points can be used to intimidate, especially when the giver can remain anonymous. This absolutely makes my hackles go up - or makes my fur rise (depending on whether you're a cat person or a dog person). Many of us already have low self-esteem from being out of place in a NeuroTypical society.
I originally came to this board pursuing an alt treatment for my son, I stuck my nose out there and felt I got fairly chewed/harrassed/bullied/trolled/derailed, etc., in public, as alt therapies seem to have a "side" and meds treatments seems to have a "side." I have absolutely no doubts that if the comment part of that system had been open then, I would have been too flabbergasted at the reds I received I would have said this is all for the birds and would have left, possibly ended up not pursuing some of the other interventional non-med therapies I have only read about by other posters sharing here, and have not received the benefits from them for myself and my son, and not being around to support and encourage countless other posters and readers in their alt journeys, no matter of the "sides" issues. (Open posting was BAD enough.)

Thank goodness I toughened up through the process and didn't give up. There is too much value to this place to let annoying comments chase anyone away.

I know if the anonymous feature were removed, that those that leave comments would be more constructive or not comment at all.

As for "reporting" comments, personalities here are smart enough to leave sideways stabs without coming across as violating anything but the intent to the receiver would be quite clear.

Last edited by FrazzleDazzle; 03-01-08 at 11:42 AM..
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to FrazzleDazzle For This Useful Post:
Bluerose (03-01-08), Imnapl (03-01-08)
Old 03-01-08, 11:20 AM

On a positive note, I always do enjoy very much supporting someone annonymously with an affirmation that I enjoyed their question, their vulnerability, the willingness to share, their unique perspective, and I do enjoy receiveing the same.
Imnapl (03-01-08)
Old 03-01-08, 11:22 AM

Thanked 3,792 Times in 1,934 Posts
Imnapl has a reputation beyond reputeImnapl has a reputation beyond reputeImnapl has a reputation beyond reputeImnapl has a reputation beyond reputeImnapl has a reputation beyond reputeImnapl has a reputation beyond reputeImnapl has a reputation beyond reputeImnapl has a reputation beyond reputeImnapl has a reputation beyond reputeImnapl has a reputation beyond reputeImnapl has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
People are lot more likely to leave anonymous negative reps than positive ones.
That may be true for a few people, but that isn't my experience. I didn't know what the gray boxes meant until I checked out FAQ and learned the person giving rep didn't have enough rep power to give points, yet. I still very much appreciated the comments that came with the little gray boxes.

I know some people who think it is bad forum etiquette to "me too" posts so the rep points and comments fill that need. I've noticed it cuts down on chit chat on threads and the need for a moderator to jump in as often.

I also give rep points to new members to encourage them to post on the forums.

Quote:
No worries, Tara, I prefer to save my ten chances a day to encourage people to post.

Phaedrus

Closed Thread