ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > TREATMENT & MANAGEMENT > Misc Treatments and Approaches
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Old 10-13-08, 04:49 PM
Contributor

Tilly will become famous soon enough
Re: non-drug treatment success stories please!

Why am I going to a biomedical doctor?
In the beginning of the summer we hit a rough patch. We had been slightly off his diet (eating some artificials from restaurants, some gluten, lots of salicylates), sleep patterns were off, and I stopped giving his enzymes. Basically we were on vacation for too long. He was “off” for a couple weeks. When I say off I mean uncontrollable crying and fits because he couldn't follow simple 1 step directions. Crying because he "couldn't read".

I wanted to meet with a medical doctor who believes in the things I do and can guide me through this and do some testing for deficiencies, allergies, diseases etc. Maybe I just needed a kick in the butt to stick to what I am doing.

Old 10-13-08, 04:54 PM
Contributor

These are the concerns I addressed with his doctor.fficeffice" />>>
>>
handwriting,reading,frustration with reading and a little outside of reading. >>
>>
>>
Over the past year and a half James has been basicly doing well and then he’d have a real bad day that seems like a reaction but I don’t know why.>>
>>
Old 10-13-08, 04:55 PM
Contributor

I went over the supplements I'm giving James. Which are calcium, zinc, omega's, enzymes, probiotics and a multi. All the ones I give him are the candy, gummy type with no artificials in them. I wanted to make sure they were good enough.fficeffice" />>>
>>
I told the doctor how far we have come. I'm not expecting big changes. I think we have seen our biggest ones with diet and enzymes. But I would like to tweak things a bit. And I definitely don’t want to repeat the bad weeks we had this summer.>>

The doctor said to continue doing everything that I am already doing.
>>
She said my vitamins and supplements were fine.>>
She did recommend kirkman vitamins, but she said my little critter vitamins were fine too. I also use the little critters omega chewable. rhino zinc, rhino calcium, buddy bear digest (enzyme), and buddy bear probiotic. >>
Sponsored Links
Old 10-13-08, 04:58 PM
Contributor

Here is the results of our testing: fficeffice" />>>
stool sample- looking for intestinal health and parasites. >>
He has no parasites, but he is completely missing 2 beneficial floras which the doctor said causes other imbalances in his bacteriology culture. His yeast was fine.>>
urine sample- I gave him DMSA to draw metals from his tissue into his urine so that the metals could be measured in his urine. My pediatrician tested for metals in the blood only. She explained that the metals leave the blood and are then stored in the tissues and fat. The DMSA capsules cost $38. The cost for the urine test was an additional is $60. >>
The normal range for lead and mercury is up to 5 and he scored extremely high in lead which was 25 and high in mercury which was 15. She recommended that we start chelation using the DMSA for 3 days on and then 9 days off. He will take extra minerals during the challenge because the DMSA can remove beneficial minerals as well.>>
Old 10-13-08, 04:59 PM
Contributor

They did a Mast allergy test. His primary doctor did this as well a year ago, but she only did an immediate response test which is the IGE. She also did not include mold. This doctor did the IGG as well, which looks for a delayed reaction. Insurance paid for this test. fficeffice" />>>
>>
He is allergic to many foods. I wrote about this in the diet thread. http://www.addforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=53012>>
>>
Blood testing for vitamin and mineral deficiencies like iron, zinc, magnesium, calcium. I'm not sure all that was on it, but he had no deficiencies. Insurance was billed.>>
>>
Amino acid test- $210 He is low in 5 amino acids. I ordered a custom blended amino powder. It was costly, choke, at $150 for a 3 month supply. But he won’t necessarily need them forever.>>
Old 10-13-08, 05:00 PM
Contributor

Lastly, the doctor asked me if I would like to try the methyl b 12 injections. She said I would know within a month if they would be helpful. It is one of the biomedical approaches that a high percent of parents report positive results regarding the treatment. I have read about them and know people who use them for other diagnosis successfully as well as add. fficeffice" />>>
>>
BTW my doctor said and from what I have read that the children who respond to the methyl b 12 shots do not show a deficiency in their blood work. >>
>>
At the appointment I needed to demonstrate that I could give the shot correctly. They also told me I need to watch him for 20 minutes after each injection for an allergic reaction. They have never seen it in their practice, but because it is possible I need to watch him and have an EPI pen. >>
>>
I give him the injection every 3 days. I use a numbing cream, and he gets it while he is asleep. It’s much easier than I thought it would be, but I do hope we eventually find this treatment is unnecessary.
Old 10-13-08, 05:01 PM
Contributor

About 4 days after his 1st shot James started showing an interest in reading. At bed time he asked for the light to be left on so he could read independently. That never happens. He also started taking books to school and crying and frustration has COMPLETELY gone away. He has not cried during reading in 6 weeks. This is such an amazing and wonderful change.

Shortly after the frustration went away we saw other changes.

Normally I hold the book and he reads with it off to the side rather than in front of his face. He never seemed to care if the book was up close or far away. I also needed to point to each word as he read it because he would get lost with every word. He wiggled around like crazy and often looked like a contortionist. >>
>>
Now he is reading with more fluency. He holds the book himself and it to be in front of his face and a certain distance away from his face. He rarely looses his place. >>
>>
He has many times asked for the definition of a new word. >>
His comprehension is so much better. I think in part because he doesn’t need to focus so hard to read a word and partially because his memory is getting better. I can ask him very specific questions about what he read and he usually knows the answers.>>
>>
Also his baseball game improved. He is now better focused. He anticipates plays and he is hitting the ball in a normal amount of swings.>>
Old 10-13-08, 05:02 PM
Contributor

Unfortunately I did remove casein 3 weeks after I started the shots, but most of the above changes were already happening. The reason I removed casein is in the above thread from the diet section.
>>
If you would like more info you can check out drneubrander.com. He is not my doctor, but my doctor did refer me to his site. The site has many videos of parents describing their child’s responses to a variety of treatments. Many of the children have autism, but just keep in mind that the protocols are often the same.>>
>>
I guess I’m feeling pretty good about where we are headed. A lot of things make sense to me in terms of allergies I had noticed, enzymes and probiotics helping, vitamins not helping. Metals and aminos I have no way to see how they effect my son, but we’ll see what happens when the problems are corrected.>>
The Following User Says Thank You to Tilly For This Useful Post:
Dudeyowuzup (07-17-12)
Old 10-13-08, 05:03 PM
Contributor

Sorry I have so many posts here. I couldn't put it all in one post. Also I debated about putting this in a new thread or here. So I understand if you would like it moved.
Old 10-14-08, 02:07 AM
ADDvanced Contributor

DesertDave is just really niceDesertDave is just really niceDesertDave is just really niceDesertDave is just really nice

You've been kind of quiet for a while but now I see what you've been up to. No wonder you've been quiet!

It will be interesting to see what happens. Thanks!
---! I need to update this. I'll put that on the list

No, I don't proofread my postings. I type, I click submit. Then cringe if I go back & read it later.
The Following User Says Thank You to DesertDave For This Useful Post:
Tilly (10-14-08)
Old 10-15-08, 10:32 AM
Super Meowaderator

Thanked 15,433 Times in 6,132 Posts
meadd823 has a reputation beyond reputemeadd823 has a reputation beyond reputemeadd823 has a reputation beyond reputemeadd823 has a reputation beyond reputemeadd823 has a reputation beyond reputemeadd823 has a reputation beyond reputemeadd823 has a reputation beyond reputemeadd823 has a reputation beyond reputemeadd823 has a reputation beyond reputemeadd823 has a reputation beyond reputemeadd823 has a reputation beyond repute

Tilly Thanks for changing Message Editor Interface - the were distracting.

Follow ADDForums on Twitter & Facebook
The Following User Says Thank You to meadd823 For This Useful Post:
Tilly (10-15-08)
Old 01-27-09, 11:53 AM
Jr Member

Mystc is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by nikki3 View Post
My son is 6, his ADD is mostly controlled by diet. He is 100% gluten and dairy free, 99% colour and preservative free, with reduced soy and sugar. When he get that 1% of colour etc we are really reminded why we cut it out. Last year when he was more like 80% additive free with no reduction in soy or sugar his teacher said he was the most distracted/inattentive of all the undiagnoised kids she had. Since then the doctor recomended the further diet changes that is to cut out soy, sugar and additives - it is a work in progess.
I experiment from time to time with suppliments inc fish oil, magnisum, zinc, vit C - they all make minor adjustments but none have stood out as amazing. I just started him on Learning Factors smoothy which is like a multivitamin designed for learning difficulties.

He also has started doing Learning Breakthrough type exercises though the aim is to help his learning any behavour effects will be a bonus...
I was doing some research on what to give my son instead of dairy, and I thought Soy was good to give someone with ADHD? I am confused now, should I not be giving him Soy?
Old 02-04-09, 06:22 AM

choetso will become famous soon enough

What a nice thread!

As for casein/dairy:
The research of Karl Ludvig Reichelt and others strongly suggests ADHD benefit from removing casein/dairy. It is the protein(casein) part, not the sugar(lactose) part that is making problems.

About 50% of the case reports improvement on a casein free diet.
Some also are intolerant to gluten, but this is more common in autism-like problems.

The theory goes like this:
casein (or gluten) is not properly broken down because of enzyme deficit. Could be inhibited by heavy metals, benzoates or genetic problems.
Result is peptide chains resembling neuropeptides (like endorphines and such), caseomorphine and others,
affecting behaviour.

Reichelt found great amounts of peptides in the urine of kids with ADHD. He then purified one of these peptides, and it showed to stimulate serotonine uptake in blood platelets.
It dissappeared when casein was removed from diet. So did "ADHD-behaviour"...

Success story yes. But not a lot of doctors interested. Why?

Interesting note. there are two different caseins in two different categories of cows (A1/A2)! One of them is less aggressive with the caseomorphine amino acid sequences. This research is most done down under ;-)

So its worth a try dropping milk products. Especially if gluten is a problem, as the enzyme deficiency is the same for both.

Could also affect digestion of soy, eggs and spinach, as these also have the ability to form exorphines (as we call them) when badly digested.

Otherwise I have positive experience with dropping E621-E623 (glutamates), colorings and preservatives.

Sugar is baaad, and makes it much easier for peptides to cross the gut/blood barrier.

I can tolerate a bit casein (butter, cream) when on a 100% sugar-free diet.

But please dont change to artificial sweeteners...

The plant Stevia is a good sweetener if you can get it.
The Following User Says Thank You to choetso For This Useful Post:
FrazzleDazzle (02-04-09)
Old 02-20-09, 03:01 AM
Banned

steven d will become famous soon enough

Does anyone here have good experience with using the supplement phosphatidyl serine/ lecithin combined with EPA fish oil against ADHD? You can find more information on my signature here:
Old 03-22-09, 05:50 PM
Jr Member

Linda30 is on a distinguished road

Hello,

I am new here ! My daughter (6.5 yrs) is inattentive type. I have not taken her for any diagnosis but i fear she has ADHD ( minus the hyperactive) she is actually the hypo active type.. I am trying to change her diet - trying to exclude processed food/preservatives/sugar etc. I have started her on flintstones (complete) and nordic naturals in the last couple of weeks. i dont see any improvement yet. I am wondering if i have to exclude dairy from her diet. She loves milk and cheese slices(kraft)..I have stopped giving her cheese slices and she is having withdrawal symptoms. Could i do a test to identify if she is actually allergic to dairy/gluten.?.her diet is not rich on gluten but on dairy - milk/cheese/yogurt. or if i have to try and remove dairy from her diet, how long does it usually to take to see how she is responding?

Thanks for any info. If i have posted in a wrong thread, pls move this to the right thread.

Thanks in advance
Linda