ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > TREATMENT & MANAGEMENT > Medications > Wellbutrin
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Wellbutrin (bupropion hcl)

Old 08-19-08, 02:36 AM
ADDvanced Forum Guru

Batman55 is a splendid one to beholdBatman55 is a splendid one to beholdBatman55 is a splendid one to beholdBatman55 is a splendid one to beholdBatman55 is a splendid one to beholdBatman55 is a splendid one to beholdBatman55 is a splendid one to behold
Wellbutrin + anxiety

I'm interested to know, is there anyone here who is anxiety prone or has an anxiety disorder (such as GAD or social anxiety), for which the Wellbutrin actually helped?

Most of the time I hear that Wellbutrin increases anxiety, which would be a no-no for me, as I have ADHD-PI with GAD (but social anxiety is also a major issue for me.) I should state that I won't be trying Wellbutrin to combat anxiety, per se, but for inattention problems and low energy levels and amotivation, as well as anhedonia from former drug addiction.

Secondly, for those who have anxiety issues, when you first tried Wellbutrin, was there an "initial period of anxiety" that eventually subsided?

I may be trying this drug soon. Enhanced anxiety I might be able to handle, assuming it eventually subsides. Mood swings are what I want to avoid at all costs.
Old 08-19-08, 02:53 AM
ADDvanced Member

despirit has a spectacular aura aboutdespirit has a spectacular aura about
Re: Wellbutrin + anxiety

I have ADHD-PI plus anxiety and Wellbutrin was the first thing my psychiatrist tried. It made me feel extremely edgy/nervous the entire month that I took it, yet failed to significantly improve my attention.

Adderall was much better for me than Wellbutrin. It improved my focus and did not cause any anxiety, except for an hour of rebound anxiety after it wore off.

I've been off all meds for a few months and have been doing a lot of cardio for the past month. The ups and downs of stimulants were just too much for me.
Old 08-19-08, 07:02 AM
Jr Member

inthecuff is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Batman55 View Post
I'm interested to know, is there anyone here who is anxiety prone or has an anxiety disorder (such as GAD or social anxiety), for which the Wellbutrin actually helped?

Most of the time I hear that Wellbutrin increases anxiety, which would be a no-no for me, as I have ADHD-PI with GAD (but social anxiety is also a major issue for me.) I should state that I won't be trying Wellbutrin to combat anxiety, per se, but for inattention problems and low energy levels and amotivation, as well as anhedonia from former drug addiction.

Secondly, for those who have anxiety issues, when you first tried Wellbutrin, was there an "initial period of anxiety" that eventually subsided?

I may be trying this drug soon. Enhanced anxiety I might be able to handle, assuming it eventually subsides. Mood swings are what I want to avoid at all costs.
I was on Cymbalta for depression for several months and then the Doc added Wellbutrin to hit the brain chemicals that weren't being hit by the Cymbalta. I couldn't tell any difference, one way or the other, after the Wellbutrin was added. It definately didn't give me anxiety. It might have even help with anxiety in my case, as I find that I'm rarely needing my Xanax lately. But that's just me, as we all know, the meds cause different effects in each of us. I'd been on Wellbutrin several months before I started having less anxiety, so I really don't know if the Wellbutrin had anything to do with it. My anxiety got a lot less when I started working on myself with self-affirmations and reading and meditating, etc. I think my self-work has lessened my anxiety more than the meds.
Sponsored Links
Old 08-19-08, 07:06 AM
Jr Member

inthecuff is on a distinguished road

Quote:

I've been lucky that the stimulants don't cause me any severe ups and downs. I just find myself better able to focus on the stimulants, but often forget the next dose as I don't get a drop down feeling to remind me that it's time.
Old 08-19-08, 05:15 PM
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate

Mincan is a splendid one to beholdMincan is a splendid one to beholdMincan is a splendid one to beholdMincan is a splendid one to beholdMincan is a splendid one to beholdMincan is a splendid one to beholdMincan is a splendid one to beholdMincan is a splendid one to behold

I've been on Wellbutrin SR 150mg once daily at 8am (isnt this a twice daily med? wtf? I want to go back on the XL damnit!) for 4 days and so far havent noticed any more anxiety, perhaps a little less actually. That could also be related to the longer I go without THC on a daily basis. From JUly 18-just a few days ago I was inhaling THC. When I go without it, I get anxious for long periods of time.
The Following User Says Thank You to Mincan For This Useful Post:
Batman55 (08-20-08)
Old 08-20-08, 03:17 AM
ADDvanced Forum Guru

Batman55 is a splendid one to beholdBatman55 is a splendid one to beholdBatman55 is a splendid one to beholdBatman55 is a splendid one to beholdBatman55 is a splendid one to beholdBatman55 is a splendid one to beholdBatman55 is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mincan View Post
I've been on Wellbutrin SR 150mg once daily at 8am (isnt this a twice daily med? wtf? I want to go back on the XL damnit!) for 4 days and so far havent noticed any more anxiety, perhaps a little less actually. That could also be related to the longer I go without THC on a daily basis. From JUly 18-just a few days ago I was inhaling THC. When I go without it, I get anxious for long periods of time.
How did Wellbutrin XL work for you, and how long had you been on it before you switched to SR?
Old 08-20-08, 06:49 AM
ADDvanced Forum Guru

I'm also wondering if my daily coffee habit would have to stop in the initial trial period for Wellbutrin. Wellbutrin lowers the seizure threshold; would caffeine be dangerous to this end?
Old 08-20-08, 02:33 PM
Contributor

amu_d is on a distinguished road

Quote:
I'm also wondering if my daily coffee habit would have to stop in the initial trial period for Wellbutrin. Wellbutrin lowers the seizure threshold; would caffeine be dangerous to this end?
Caffeine should be avoided at all times. Experts have commented that it reduces the effectiveness of stimulants.
Old 08-21-08, 04:07 AM
ADDvanced Forum Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by amu_d View Post
Caffeine should be avoided at all times. Experts have commented that it reduces the effectiveness of stimulants.
I've heard more the opposite: taking two stimulants together causes a synergistic effect.

In another thread a few people mentioned that having caffeine with Wellbutrin increased the effects of caffeine, to the point of irritability/anxiety.

Is there anyone here who has caffeine with a Wellbutrin regimen, but it doesn't cause a problem?
Old 09-20-08, 04:42 PM
ADDvanced Member

ikgbixcal has a little shameless behaviour in the past

Quote:
I've heard more the opposite: taking two stimulants together causes a synergistic effect.

In another thread a few people mentioned that having caffeine with Wellbutrin increased the effects of caffeine, to the point of irritability/anxiety.

Is there anyone here who has caffeine with a Wellbutrin regimen, but it doesn't cause a problem?
yes i take at lest 200mg of caffeine a day sum times more. i take wellbutrin300mg xl cymbalta 60-120mg vyvanse 30-60mg and have had no proplems wat so ever with this combanation. but hey every ones different. but i have had a drug problem in the past so that could be why. im only 17 and jus recently stoped all drugs. mostly just weed and self medicating on the active ingrediant in cought syrup( Dextromethorphan)
Old 09-21-08, 01:06 PM
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate

Mincan is a splendid one to beholdMincan is a splendid one to beholdMincan is a splendid one to beholdMincan is a splendid one to beholdMincan is a splendid one to beholdMincan is a splendid one to beholdMincan is a splendid one to beholdMincan is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
How did Wellbutrin XL work for you, and how long had you been on it before you switched to SR?
I don't know, didn't give it a fair run. I was only on it about a month, maybe 1.5 months. That was last year... been on the SR now since middle of August.
The Following User Says Thank You to Mincan For This Useful Post:
Batman55 (09-22-08)
Old 10-04-08, 02:57 AM

marcykid will become famous soon enough

Caffeine is actually pretty bad for ADD. It can make your ADD worse. Caffeine only gives you about 30 minutes of benefit before it wears off and actually backfires on you. And let's be real, if you continued to drink a pot of coffee every half hour you'd have some pretty awful peripheral agitation, as well as horrendous withdrawal headaches when you finally put the mug down for a day. Both Caffeine and stimulants like Adderall and Ritalin work on your central nervous system. Taken together your heart will go kooky nuts... and start beating like a chipmunk's, running the risk of some pretty severe restless agitation, anxiety, and REAL cardiac issues. Watch your caffeine intake... or better yet, cut it out entirely... especially if you're taking stimulant meds.
The Following User Says Thank You to marcykid For This Useful Post:
roflwaffle (09-18-16)
Old 10-04-08, 04:17 AM
ADDvanced Forum Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by marcykid View Post
Caffeine is actually pretty bad for ADD. It can make your ADD worse. Caffeine only gives you about 30 minutes of benefit before it wears off and actually backfires on you. And let's be real, if you continued to drink a pot of coffee every half hour you'd have some pretty awful peripheral agitation, as well as horrendous withdrawal headaches when you finally put the mug down for a day. Both Caffeine and stimulants like Adderall and Ritalin work on your central nervous system. Taken together your heart will go kooky nuts... and start beating like a chipmunk's, running the risk of some pretty severe restless agitation, anxiety, and REAL cardiac issues. Watch your caffeine intake... or better yet, cut it out entirely... especially if you're taking stimulant meds.
Wellbutrin is more of a pseudo-stimulant. It's often touted as a "non-stimulant med" for ADD. As such I'm not overly concerned about maintaining a coffee habit while on Wellbutrin. If I get adverse effects I'll have to quit, tho.

Caffeine does not make my ADD worse, anyway. In fact it causes a sustained improvement in several areas of functioning. It may cause anxiety at times, but that is one of just a few drawbacks for me.

Different strokes for different folks, eh?
Old 10-13-08, 10:33 PM

Not_All_There is on a distinguished road

I drink a little coffee most days. I try to limit it to two cups rather than the pot I used to make for myself daily. I just love the taste of caffeinated coffee better. I don't think I am effected negatively by this amount, but I may be wrong.
Old 10-17-08, 10:25 PM

CityAtNight is on a distinguished road

I'm on my first week of trying out Wellbutrin (actually generic Buproprion XL) 150 mg once a day. So far, I can't say I've noticed any effect at all. Although I'm rather prone to anxiety, I have not had any anxiety problems this week. Of course, one week is a bit early to be making an assessment of a medication. But this has been my experience so far.