ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > ADULTS AND ADD/ADHD > Adults with ADD > General ADD Talk
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Old 10-11-08, 10:10 AM

Gandalf is on a distinguished road
Olla, new to forums looking for advice

Hi,

Glad I've found a supportive/knowledgeable community.

I was diagnosed with ADD at 11 years old after my sibling was diagnosed. I think I took 2 * Ritalin 10mg twice daily (40 mg total) for all of highschool except the last 2 years (started age 11 stopped at age 15). I stopped taking Ritalin because I deemed it unnecessary since my academic performance was quite good. When I stopped I did not consult my paediatrician/GP/teachers.

Initially when I was diagnosed at age 11 my academic performance was bad. During primary school I was in the lowest stream for both maths and english. The lowest stream catered for students who were considered to have learning difficulties. The lowest stream was taught by special ed teachers. During highschool for which I took ritalin, I consistently moved up the streams reaching "A" stream by age 15. I stopped treatment at age 15. My last two (age 16 - 17) years of high school went quite well. I scored 90% in my final year of school. Looking back I could have gone a lot better if I had been more consistent which probably would have been the case if I had been pushed harder or continued treatment. I feel momentum and my some what competitive personality got me through my final years of highschool.

90% got me into a engineering course at uni. My academic performance at uni has been very bad. I've stuck with it for what has now been 3 years. During the 3 years I have not completed nearly what I should have (about 50%). My poor performance has made me slightly depressed. I decided to recommence treatment. My GP refered me to a phyciartrist who reaffirmed the previous diagnosis of ADD. I am being treated using Ritalin LA 20mg twice daily. I was on 30mg morning 20mg afternoon but I have decided to try (after consultation with my phyciatrist) a lower dose after a so so trial period of 4 weeks. Treatment is having a noticiably positive effect academically and socially.

Not all 3 years of uni were a complete disaster. I have scored a few HDs (highest 92%). A few of my best uni results where in courses considered difficult. I've had a few meetings with the head of school who on the basis of a few of my better marks believes I have the capability to complete the degree.

I've had a look through some of the forum. My symptoms fit quite nicely within the ADHD-SCT (sluggish cognitive tempo) sub group. While I consider my self fairly intellegent it has become apparent I am not a fast learner. I avoid intense mental arithmetic and have a fairly poor memory (I have not objectively measured my memory using a standard test so it might not be as bad as I think). While this would tend to imply that I am stupid I feel my particular intellegence has redeeming traits. After I master a suject I tend to be very good at solving tricky/not obvious problems within that subject area. For example it took me longer than most to grasp and feel comfortable with recursion during a tutorial. However after I did grasp recursion I was better than most at writing or percieving how to use recursions to solve trickier sample tute problems.

Ill pad out bellow when I have time (to late now to continue/medication worn off):

I am very socially awkward. (social anxiety, occasionally high heart rate during social interations). Fortunately a few of my good friends have noticed my social awkwardness, occaisionally making a extra effort to inlcude me and helpfully remind me when I am being particulary awkward for which I am very grateful.

Have a fairly good excersise routine.

Some times I feel brain dead.

I have long history of procrastinating.

Current medication regime side effects: loss appetite, constipation, slightly higher heart rate during excersise (still not 100% sure if this is the case). Possibly less tolerant and more angry but that could be due to stress caused by end of semester assessments.

I'm very interested in your opinions and suggestions! (hopefully Ill get around to spell checking and fixing grammatical errors before to many people read the post).
Old 10-11-08, 10:19 AM
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate

Thanked 3,129 Times in 1,638 Posts
Song of Mercy has a brilliant futureSong of Mercy has a brilliant futureSong of Mercy has a brilliant futureSong of Mercy has a brilliant futureSong of Mercy has a brilliant futureSong of Mercy has a brilliant futureSong of Mercy has a brilliant futureSong of Mercy has a brilliant futureSong of Mercy has a brilliant futureSong of Mercy has a brilliant futureSong of Mercy has a brilliant future
Re: Olla, new to forums looking for advice

I know you will find many answers to your questions here, and will get support as issues arise. Good to know you.

Welcome!
Old 10-11-08, 02:57 PM
Forum ADDvocate

xraylady33 has much to be proud ofxraylady33 has much to be proud ofxraylady33 has much to be proud ofxraylady33 has much to be proud ofxraylady33 has much to be proud ofxraylady33 has much to be proud ofxraylady33 has much to be proud ofxraylady33 has much to be proud of

Welcome, enjoy your stay!

Sponsored Links
Old 10-11-08, 04:29 PM
Moderator of mind and heart

Thanked 21,303 Times in 8,615 Posts
sarek has a reputation beyond reputesarek has a reputation beyond reputesarek has a reputation beyond reputesarek has a reputation beyond reputesarek has a reputation beyond reputesarek has a reputation beyond reputesarek has a reputation beyond reputesarek has a reputation beyond reputesarek has a reputation beyond reputesarek has a reputation beyond reputesarek has a reputation beyond repute

Welcome to the forums Gandalf,

Just speak 'mellon' and enter.
Old 10-11-08, 04:54 PM
Contributor

olavia has a spectacular aura aboutolavia has a spectacular aura about

welcome.
donīt bother with grammar
Old 10-11-08, 05:53 PM

semfi will become famous soon enough

welcome aboard!
Old 10-13-08, 07:47 PM

Gandalf is on a distinguished road

Hi,

I have been noticing a more serious side effect lately. If I have taken Ritalin and exercise intensely I get a headache (possibly reaching heart rate of 200 bpm during exercise). More specifically I feel a "pressure" in the front/top of my head. The discomfort is not particularly intense. The headache is symettric. The headache is gone after sleeping. I am fairly sure I am maintaining good hydration during activity. I have decided not to take ritalin anymore when I plan to excersise as I have expirienced the headaches 3 times after playing basketball (lots of jumping). Any thoughts on why ritalin would cause such headaches?