ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > ADULTS AND ADD/ADHD > Adult Diagnosis & Treatment
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Adult Diagnosis & Treatment This forum is for the discussion of issues related to the diagnosis of AD/HD

Old 08-27-09, 06:14 PM
Jr Member

Anewday is on a distinguished road
Im New. ADHD and Anxiety. Any Feedback?

Hello. I wrote a little something on a different thread and realized that maybe this is the best room for me. I am a 27 yrs old and my name is Kristen. I have a wonderful finacee and 16month old daughter. I was just diagnosed with ADHD and Generalized Anxiety Disorder and I am supposed to start taking Ritalin LA in a couple of days. I am a little nervous about this b/c of the anxiety I have. My Dr. says that treating ADHD and Anxiety is tricky but my anxiety may only co-exsist with the ADHD. I was told by my Dr. the Ritalin La may make me feel so much better thus relieving the unwanted anxiety. To me I feel like I am in my own clincal trial. This pill could work or not work. Anxiety has only been a part of my life for 6 years but apparently I have been ADHD for the whole 27 years!! So, I was wondering if any of you nice people out there have the ADHD and Anxiety? Also if you are on the meds like Ritalin or Adderall, do they work by relieving the anxiety that is supposed to co-exsist with the ADHD? Im curious to see what is going to happen to me and if my anxiety will get the better of me. Any feedback would be fantastic. Thank you.
Old 08-27-09, 06:52 PM
ADDvanced Member

MADD_MEN will become famous soon enough
Re: Im New. ADHD and Anxiety. Any Feedback?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anewday View Post
Hello. I wrote a little something on a different thread and realized that maybe this is the best room for me. I am a 27 yrs old and my name is Kristen. I have a wonderful finacee and 16month old daughter. I was just diagnosed with ADHD and Generalized Anxiety Disorder and I am supposed to start taking Ritalin LA in a couple of days. I am a little nervous about this b/c of the anxiety I have. My Dr. says that treating ADHD and Anxiety is tricky but my anxiety may only co-exsist with the ADHD. I was told by my Dr. the Ritalin La may make me feel so much better thus relieving the unwanted anxiety. To me I feel like I am in my own clincal trial. This pill could work or not work. Anxiety has only been a part of my life for 6 years but apparently I have been ADHD for the whole 27 years!! So, I was wondering if any of you nice people out there have the ADHD and Anxiety? Also if you are on the meds like Ritalin or Adderall, do they work by relieving the anxiety that is supposed to co-exsist with the ADHD? Im curious to see what is going to happen to me and if my anxiety will get the better of me. Any feedback would be fantastic. Thank you.

I have been diagnosed with GAD and would take Klonopin daily (1mg). After treating my ADHD, my anxiety decreased significantly and I rarely take Klonopin.

That's not to say you'll have the same results, but I think ADHD can seriously exacerbate anxiety.

As long as you start out with a small enough dosage of Ritalin (and make sure you have an anti-anxiety med like Clonazepam or Valium available if needed, you should be okay).
Old 08-27-09, 09:02 PM

anon9000 is on a distinguished road

Your doctor is right. I had the same diagnosis initially. Adderall decreases the anxiety. good lucks.
Sponsored Links
Old 08-27-09, 09:07 PM
ADDvanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by anon9000 View Post
Your doctor is right. I had the same diagnosis initially. Adderall decreases the anxiety. good lucks.
Adderall *can* decrease anxiety, but it depends on our body's chemistry. For some people it can increase anxiety, particularly if the anxiety is caused not by ADHD, but some other factor.

Focalin: 5 mg 2-3x/day
Bupropion: 150 mg/day
Lamictil: 100 mg/day
Clonazepam: 1 mg/as needed
Self-deprecation: 500 mg 10x/hour
Old 08-27-09, 09:25 PM
ADDvanced Member

jayblaze2 is on a distinguished road

i too was diagnosed later in life at the age of 23. i also, like most add'ers suffered from anxiety. my dr had me try all the stimulants (ritalin, adderall, concerta, stratera.....). i couldnt take any of them due to my anxiety. stimulants can increase anxiety. it wasnt until i co-treated my anxiety and ADD/ADHD that the stimulants could be beneficial.

I took xanax then switched to Clonazepam. you dont want to stay on xanax due to addiction. Clonazepam is not AS addicting but its not as fast acting as xanax. These drugs train your brain to react differently in the event of panic/anxiety. For example, i used to get nervous in class; so much that i would leave due to fear. Once on the meds, my body did a magical thing... i could go to class. the first time back to class, while on the meds, was weird. i was sitting in class when right before the onset of anxiety... tick tick tick NOTHING HAPPENED. no fast heart beat, sweating or blacking out. eventually, after a year, i was able to quit the Clonazepam.

your dr will try to put you on SSRIs NSRIs.... these help depression not anxiety. they too worsened my anxiety. doctors push these drugs due to lack of addiction. they are addicting but not out of pleasure more so from physical needs.

my ADD cocktail consist of:

15mg Dexedrine Spansule 6AM
5mg Dexedrine IR 1PM
5mg Dexedrine IR 5PM

i hope this helps

"I caught a fleeting glimpse Out of the corner of my eye. I turned to look but it was gone. I cannot put my finger on it now. The child is grown, The dream is gone." (Pink Floyd)
Current Meds:
  • Adderall XR 60mg
  • Nortriptyline 20mg
Historic Meds:
  • Xanax, Klonopin
  • Dexedrine, Ritalin, Concerta
  • Paxil, Lexapro, Zoloft
  • Effexor, Cymbalta, Wellbutrin
Old 08-27-09, 10:14 PM

anon9000 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbadhd View Post
Adderall *can* decrease anxiety, but it depends on our body's chemistry. For some people it can increase anxiety, particularly if the anxiety is caused not by ADHD, but some other factor.
I meant to say *for me*

That said, it is pretty much understood that the type of add people who are also anxiety ridden (so much so that they also can meet the criteria for a GAD diagnoses) are likely to gain relief from stimulants, because the anxiety (worry, negative introspection) is produced by an inability to not attend to the inner stimulus.

It is more likely than not that she will gain relief if the doc is correct that she also has ADHD and not just GAD.

I know you were trying to "pwn" and all that, but vague references to "brain chemistry" really isn't helpful.
Old 08-27-09, 10:22 PM
ADDvanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by anon9000 View Post
I meant to say *for me*

That said, it is pretty much understood that the type of add people who are also anxiety ridden (so much so that they also can meet the criteria for a GAD diagnoses) are likely to gain relief from stimulants, because the anxiety (worry, negative introspection) is produced by an inability to not attend to the inner stimulus.

It is more likely than not that she will gain relief if the doc is correct that she also has ADHD and not just GAD.

I know you were trying to "pwn" and all that, but vague references to "brain chemistry" really isn't helpful.
Huh?? This is a support forum. There is no room for "pwning" people. I think you need to re-read my post. I was not trying to "pwn" you. I was simply pointing out that all of us have different chemistry, and none of us quite understand why one med may work one way for some of us and a different way for someone else. I respectfully ask you to read my post as I intended and to not put words into my mouth.

Respectfully,

Jeremy

Old 08-27-09, 10:48 PM
Contributor

ADDMagnet is a glorious beacon of lightADDMagnet is a glorious beacon of lightADDMagnet is a glorious beacon of lightADDMagnet is a glorious beacon of lightADDMagnet is a glorious beacon of lightADDMagnet is a glorious beacon of light

I just responded to your other thread on ADHD and anxiety so i won't repeat it all. If you do indeed have GAD (and some people like myself and my sister have the cognitive form of GAD, which does not require physical symptoms like sweaty hands, headaches or stomachaches, etc., but is more a case of being a "worry wart") then it is best to treat the GAD before adding a stimulant. The best medication for GAD (see my other posting) is Buspar and it is not an addictive medication.
Old 08-27-09, 10:59 PM
ADDvanced Member

Cool Re: Im New. ADHD and Anxiety. Any Feedback?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ADDMagnet View Post
I just responded to your other thread on ADHD and anxiety so i won't repeat it all. If you do indeed have GAD (and some people like myself and my sister have the cognitive form of GAD, which does not require physical symptoms like sweaty hands, headaches or stomachaches, etc., but is more a case of being a "worry wart") then it is best to treat the GAD before adding a stimulant. The best medication for GAD (see my other posting) is Buspar and it is not an addictive medication.
Hi ADDMagnet,

I know this is the CW (conventional wisdom), but I don't think the doctors are necessarily correct on this. CW is treat BP and/or GAD before treating ADHD. Personally, I think this is because of prejudice that exists in which doctors don't think ADHD is as serious as other disorders, and that the other disorders are really the source of ADHD symptoms.

Personally....and I speak only for my own experience....I was treated for years for GAD and BP. It had NO effect on my ADHD. Brilliant!!! Geez...Dr., perhaps ADHD was an issue on its own. Eventually, we focused on the ADHD. For the first time ever I felt some efficacy. I didn't have much anxiety and NO BP symptoms. My moods were very stable.

That being said, I don't think my experience would be the same as everyone else. Of course it wouldn't be. But, my point is the doctors don't always have all the answers, and the CW can be incorrect!

Old 08-28-09, 09:18 PM

Sukhi is on a distinguished road

Based on the previous posts, I think the rule here is that there is no rule. What works for one person may not for another. I was diagnosed with ADD in January (at the age of 38). The reason I originally went to the doctor was because of anxiety and being completely overwhelmed by my job. He originally started me on Ritalin, but that didn't really work for me...my anxiety continued to be an issue and I felt like the Ritalin was even making it worse. He then put me on Zoloft (an antidepressant which is often effective for anxiety). I felt slightly better after several weeks on this...but I continued to not be able to get anything done, which kept me feeling terrible. I finally added Adderall to the Zoloft and this has been the magic mixture for me. I am not having panic attacks and stressing out so much about everything and I am finally able to focus and get some things done which feels AMAZING! I think the key is not to give up if one thing doesn't work. I was really down when Ritalin didn't work for me because I felt that nothing would. Those around me say I am like a new person now. I wish you lots of luck in finding what will work for you!
Old 08-28-09, 11:49 PM
Contributor

ADDMagnet is a glorious beacon of lightADDMagnet is a glorious beacon of lightADDMagnet is a glorious beacon of lightADDMagnet is a glorious beacon of lightADDMagnet is a glorious beacon of lightADDMagnet is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbadhd View Post
Hi ADDMagnet,

I know this is the CW (conventional wisdom), but I don't think the doctors are necessarily correct on this. CW is treat BP and/or GAD before treating ADHD. Personally, I think this is because of prejudice that exists in which doctors don't think ADHD is as serious as other disorders, and that the other disorders are really the source of ADHD symptoms.
Hi Sbadhd,
Perhaps I didn't make myself clear. I was not saying that the ADHD wasn't serious nor did I mean to imply that simply treating the anxiety would be all that was needed. The reasoning behind treating the GAD first has to do with the chemical balancing of the medications. The seritonin level in the brain has to be brought down and in proper balance before using a stimulant. It has nothing to do with which condition is the more serious of the two. And I wholeheartedly tend to agree with my doctor who believes it is important to treat everything that is wrong. So if one has GAD, ADHD, and Bipolar for example, all of the conditions need to be treated. But proper sequencing and understanding of how each condition and/or medication impacts the other condition is important for successful treatment of all the conditions. Not every doctor understands this.