ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > ADDForums FRONT OFFICE > Forums Help, Q&A
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Old 06-22-04, 07:38 PM
ADDvanced Member

Penultimate will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by BIG
Here you go...(Click the Get It now button)

http://java.com/en/index.jsp

I get the site you link to but I can't get the page after the button. It comes up "cannot find server" and has for a couple of days now. Do you have the file?

UPDATE: I went to the link for manual download and got the page. Then I clicked on the download link and it doesn't work. Can anybody PM me that file?
Old 06-22-04, 07:52 PM
Ghost in the Machine

Thanked 1,633 Times in 574 Posts
Andrew has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew has a reputation beyond repute
Page loads fine here. Are you running a firewall? Can you check the settings? I can access it from all 3 computers here (Win 2000, XP Home, XP Pro)

To review the ADD Forums Guidelines, please click here.
Old 06-22-04, 08:13 PM
Ghost in the Machine

Andrew has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew has a reputation beyond repute
The lastest release of ZoneAlarm (with its default setting) interfere's with the Java chat room load. Stay tuned...

Sponsored Links
Old 06-22-04, 08:21 PM
Ghost in the Machine

Try accepting ZoneAlarm's auto-configuration for your browser, once your computer restarts.

Old 06-22-04, 08:23 PM
ADDvanced Member

I am not running a firewall. Iím using a cable modem and there may be a firewall in the system somewhere. I doubt it though. It has let spyware and viruses through so why not this? The problem only comes up when I click on one of the yellow buttons on THAT site.

I have all my settings at the most open/low safety. I even turned off my antivirus software. And, no, I am not running any sort of pop up blocker.

By the way, I am using WIN98 SE.

My hard drive crashed about six months ago and I had to reload everything from scratch. I lost everything. I donít know if I was able to get everything back. There maybe some missing ingredients here.

I am going to try downloading another browser to see if that helps. I used to keep two different ones on hand to test these sorts of things. If that doesnít work I am going to call my ISPís tech support because something is not right here.
Old 06-22-04, 08:25 PM
Ghost in the Machine

Yellow buttons?? What yellow buttons?

Old 06-22-04, 09:10 PM
Jumping.. In slow motion

David is a splendid one to beholdDavid is a splendid one to beholdDavid is a splendid one to beholdDavid is a splendid one to beholdDavid is a splendid one to beholdDavid is a splendid one to beholdDavid is a splendid one to behold
I appreciate the suggestions but I have quite a bit of experience with IRC networks going back to 1992 and they prove to be hard to totally protect a room, integrate with a user database and unless I am missing something, a web based java front end like this is much more user friendly. You don't have to use IRC commands, download a client and then configure for a specific network, then find the room. Here, unless you are having a Java or related issues, you click and you are in if you are a registered member.

I've used jPilot and others for a web interface which still allows people who are not familiar with IRC clients such as mIRC (etc) an option but most new people I have come across are not familiar with IRC. You also end up basically being a "slave" to the server / network that you are on, which often may run into "attack" troubles. Further, most people that use a IRC network are not all that interested in Attention Deficit & Related Disorders. One of the reasons we chose this system is that if you are not an authenticated member of the forums, you can't get into the room.

At the moment there are not a lot of people in the ADDF chat room but I am confident that will change as people find out about it, and especially when all of our links are re-indexed into Google.

Thanks,
David

Quote:
Originally Posted by sam
Hey, I know I'm new to this forum but I gave the chatroom a try and I can give some suggestions on maybe how to improve it...?

Well, to start off with, web-browser based IRC clients aren't really *that* great and it's iffy to learn commands that way. But hey, java clients are OK but I know of a few better ones that I could go look for. Also, could you post the IRC server address, port number (if it uses a non-default one) and the actually room name? Maybe some people (like myself) prefer to use a stand-alone IRC client, and it'd be easier that way instead of looking through sourcecode or even typing in the IRC commands :-). If the room's on a large network, it could also help publicize this site. For me, at least, it took me a loooong time to find this site.

Anyway, I used to be an IRC-op on a few networks *back-in-the-day* so I dunno, maybe I could help out a bit? Oh, and too bad most the people live in N.America. Never anybody in the chatroom during *my* times, hehe :-)
Old 06-22-04, 09:30 PM
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate

Nucking_Futs has a spectacular aura aboutNucking_Futs has a spectacular aura about
I actually met two forum members today. One a long time friend who stopped going to YAHOO because of the bad experiances and I met someone new. What I've decided to do was everytime I log onto the forum's I'm just going to load the chat room too and keep checking for chatters.
Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out and loudly proclaiming, "WOW! What a ride!!"

Old 06-22-04, 10:49 PM
ADDvanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BIG
Yellow buttons?? What yellow buttons?
The yellow buttons on the java website. The ones you have to click on to download the files. Look at my screenshot. Sorry its so small but as you can see there are yellow buttons. I see this in both IE and Netscape. I have no idea what you are getting if you donít see the yellow buttons.

The problem seems to be a timeout. This happens in both IE and Netscape but only Netscape tells me what the problem is. IE just says it canít find the site. I have no idea what the problem is there but my ISP is going to get an earful tomorrow.

Anyhow itís a moot point. Netscape comes with JAVA2 so when I downloaded Netscape I got what I needed. Chat now works in both Netscape and IE.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg java.jpg (81.6 KB, 7 views)
Old 06-22-04, 10:56 PM
Ghost in the Machine

Awesome

Old 06-22-04, 11:42 PM
ADDvanced Member

The only problem is now I'm too tired to chat.

Last edited by Penultimate; 06-22-04 at 11:54 PM..
Old 06-23-04, 12:02 AM
Jumping.. In slow motion

David is a splendid one to beholdDavid is a splendid one to beholdDavid is a splendid one to beholdDavid is a splendid one to beholdDavid is a splendid one to beholdDavid is a splendid one to beholdDavid is a splendid one to behold
lol... Get some rest and tear it up tomorrow.
Old 06-23-04, 12:47 AM
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate

Ian has disabled reputation
David it's working smoothly on this Linux box (Fedora core2) and for that I am grateful. Java has been a bit of a pain until now.
Cheers! Ian.
>>>Q: Why is top posting frowned upon?

Old 06-23-04, 08:29 AM
ADDvanced Member

sam is on a distinguished road
hehe whoops, posted the same link as David - but;

Quote:
You also end up basically being a "slave" to the server / network that you are on
I started out on IRC around 95-96 on, yup EFnet, so I know all about idiot IRC admins and ops trying to flex their powers around. But I'm still "friends" with some IRC admins on other networks (both big and small) who would help out a lot. I'm still in the habit of just leaving a few x-chat windows open and just idling so I'm bias :-)

Anyways, I'm sorry if I came off as trying to criticize (which wasn't my intention at all) but just wanted to help out with this site (First site in a while where I've wanted to, hehe) but since the only things I can is PHP coding (which is kind of redundant as vBulletin is pretty much completely automated and there're a bunch of add-ons/scripts) and networking & IRC. But if there's anything I could do to help out this community, I'd love to.

Last edited by sam; 06-23-04 at 08:41 AM.. Reason: Not realising there were two pages to this thread :)P
Old 07-05-04, 06:35 PM

irish_lady4 is on a distinguished road
I have never yet managed to be in the chat room at the same time as others!!! is ur chat scheuled for american times???

irish_lady4