ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > CO-EXISTING CONDITIONS > Anxiety Disorders, OCD & PTSD
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Anxiety Disorders, OCD & PTSD A forum to discuss Anxiety, Generalized Anxiety Disorder, Obsessive Compulsive Disorder, Panic Disorder, Post-Traumatic Stress Disorder, Simple Phobias, and Social Anxiety Disorder

Old 01-08-11, 09:26 PM
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate

Tara is a name known to allTara is a name known to allTara is a name known to allTara is a name known to allTara is a name known to allTara is a name known to all
Re: Driving Anxiety

My driving Anxiety acts like a natural stimulant so I'm one of the better ADD / ADHD Drivers...
Old 01-14-11, 03:44 PM

Thanked 1,128 Times in 677 Posts
excel is a splendid one to beholdexcel is a splendid one to beholdexcel is a splendid one to beholdexcel is a splendid one to beholdexcel is a splendid one to beholdexcel is a splendid one to beholdexcel is a splendid one to beholdexcel is a splendid one to behold

How do you deal with your driving anxiety? I used hypnosos and medicine. Now after all these years it seems to be coming back. I wish I new why.
Old 01-19-11, 04:58 AM

Thanked 1,156 Times in 739 Posts
NorCalAndy8 is just really niceNorCalAndy8 is just really niceNorCalAndy8 is just really niceNorCalAndy8 is just really nice

I'm one of those folks that love driving. If you see someone merging onto the freeway at 80mph..that's probably me.. However, I get quite annoyed when I'm lost, but I don't get overly anxious about it. I just keep on taking detours until I finally reach my destination... and I don't mind road trips...I can drive for days...

The other night I was gradually merging onto the freeway, "going the speed limit," and this guy honked at me because he got really close to my car....but I was like "dude, I don't care...you should be driving the speed limit. It's the slow lane...dir."
Sponsored Links
Old 01-19-11, 05:05 AM
ADDvanced Contributor

Bezuidenthustra is a name known to allBezuidenthustra is a name known to allBezuidenthustra is a name known to allBezuidenthustra is a name known to allBezuidenthustra is a name known to allBezuidenthustra is a name known to all

I enjoy driving, so I tend to hyperfocus when I drive, which makes me a pretty good driver. Well, at least I'm alert.

However, I get anxious when people in the car are talking to me, particularly people in the back seat. When a few people are talking or being loud when I'm driving I get so anxious I usually snap. I've been called a spaz many times. But seriously, people, I'm ADHD and trying to focus here, so shut up!

Writer and general kook with ADHD, OCD, TS, depression, and monkey arms. I regularly blog about those things. I also write other fun stuff.
The Following User Says Thank You to Bezuidenthustra For This Useful Post:
sarek (01-19-11)
Old 01-19-11, 08:10 AM
Moderator of mind and heart

Thanked 21,303 Times in 8,615 Posts
sarek has a reputation beyond reputesarek has a reputation beyond reputesarek has a reputation beyond reputesarek has a reputation beyond reputesarek has a reputation beyond reputesarek has a reputation beyond reputesarek has a reputation beyond reputesarek has a reputation beyond reputesarek has a reputation beyond reputesarek has a reputation beyond reputesarek has a reputation beyond repute

I love driving. Sadly its getting so crowded everywhere, in my country there is no getting away from that.
I prefer a sense of freedom. Hunting the high and the low road.
Old 01-20-11, 09:32 AM

excel is a splendid one to beholdexcel is a splendid one to beholdexcel is a splendid one to beholdexcel is a splendid one to beholdexcel is a splendid one to beholdexcel is a splendid one to beholdexcel is a splendid one to beholdexcel is a splendid one to behold

Anxiety keeps me from doing the things I want to do
Old 01-22-11, 04:26 AM
ADDvanced Member

Firebird is on a distinguished road

I love driving, but sometimes I randomly feel anxious out of nowhere about other people beeping, ect. I think it might be normal though.
Old 01-22-11, 04:28 AM
Contributor

Icecream is a jewel in the roughIcecream is a jewel in the roughIcecream is a jewel in the rough

Is PTSD an anxiety disorder?
Old 01-22-11, 11:41 PM

I think it's closer to depression than anxiety.
Old 01-29-11, 06:00 PM

How do you cope wth your driving anxiety
Old 01-30-11, 12:37 PM

Kimmy1989 is on a distinguished road

I love driving long distances but only on highways. I don't like driving around town or local roads. This is because a lot of things. Local roads around here have pot holes and I get anxious about hitting one and blowing a tire. I also and terrified of traffic lights turning red really fast (when there's always the yellow light). I'm terrified that people will stop short and I'll hit them from behind(In my state if you hit someone from behind it's automatically your fault). I'm also terrified of people driving like idiots and turning into roads when there's a car obviously coming who has the right of way. People merging in when they should be yielding. And trees falling on my car. I recently moved from a city to a town outside of a city which doesn't seem to have much influences from the city and there's a lot of trees and such so my anxiety has gone through the roof. BLAH sucks sucks suck. When I can I have my boyfriend drive who's a very good driving but I still have anxiety just sitting in the passenger seat. I also don't like driving with people in my car for some reason.
Old 01-30-11, 12:50 PM
Contributor

Surly Dave is a name known to allSurly Dave is a name known to allSurly Dave is a name known to allSurly Dave is a name known to allSurly Dave is a name known to allSurly Dave is a name known to allSurly Dave is a name known to all

Driving is a conundrum for me. I like doing it, but it is also a huge source of frustration for me. When the roads are open and traffic is flowing; Fine. Once it gets slow or people are doing stupid stuff (driving and texting), I loose it big time. I don't like myself when this happens, and it has been a constant cause of contention between my wife and I.

I don't know if it's anxiety expressing it's self as anger or if I'm just a control freak. Probably a little of each.
My high tolerance for chaos is compensation for my low tolerance for B.S.

Old 02-04-11, 08:20 PM

What medicine do you take for your driving anxiety? I get nerous about getting lost and things like that
Old 02-07-11, 12:13 AM

Thanked 4,276 Times in 2,421 Posts
eclectic beagle has a reputation beyond reputeeclectic beagle has a reputation beyond reputeeclectic beagle has a reputation beyond reputeeclectic beagle has a reputation beyond reputeeclectic beagle has a reputation beyond reputeeclectic beagle has a reputation beyond reputeeclectic beagle has a reputation beyond reputeeclectic beagle has a reputation beyond reputeeclectic beagle has a reputation beyond reputeeclectic beagle has a reputation beyond reputeeclectic beagle has a reputation beyond repute

I'm pretty much fine driving in town, but if it is to a major city I panic (unless I have been there many times and use the exact same route). The fast pace, fear of getting lost,...these things are quite nerve-racking. If I had been more exposed to driving earlier, and had drove out of town constantly, I probably wouldn't have this fear.

For me, isolation from a particular thing increases my anxiety of it (in this case driving in bigger cities).
Old 02-16-11, 02:23 PM

The worst thing you can do vis to give in to your anxiety. When you give in to your anxiety the anxiety becomes stronger. That's what my pdock told me.
The Following User Says Thank You to excel For This Useful Post:
buddy (02-16-11)