ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > CO-EXISTING CONDITIONS > Anxiety Disorders, OCD & PTSD
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Anxiety Disorders, OCD & PTSD A forum to discuss Anxiety, Generalized Anxiety Disorder, Obsessive Compulsive Disorder, Panic Disorder, Post-Traumatic Stress Disorder, Simple Phobias, and Social Anxiety Disorder

Old 02-16-11, 02:59 PM
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate

Thanked 2,289 Times in 1,189 Posts
buddy has a brilliant futurebuddy has a brilliant futurebuddy has a brilliant futurebuddy has a brilliant futurebuddy has a brilliant futurebuddy has a brilliant futurebuddy has a brilliant futurebuddy has a brilliant futurebuddy has a brilliant futurebuddy has a brilliant futurebuddy has a brilliant future
Re: Driving Anxiety

I have a stiff neck & shoulder,which I got from driving.My anxiety is thru the roof when I have to drive.I usually have to take Xanax because I get so anxious & my entire body
gets stiff.I also have trouble seeing at night so I tend to avoid driving when it gets dark out.
Old 02-17-11, 12:28 PM

Thanked 1,128 Times in 677 Posts
excel is a splendid one to beholdexcel is a splendid one to beholdexcel is a splendid one to beholdexcel is a splendid one to beholdexcel is a splendid one to beholdexcel is a splendid one to beholdexcel is a splendid one to beholdexcel is a splendid one to behold

I don't lie driving at night either
Old 02-19-11, 05:18 AM
ADDvanced Member

ReedtheStrange is a jewel in the roughReedtheStrange is a jewel in the roughReedtheStrange is a jewel in the rough

GPSes always make me feel safer when I drive because I know that if I get lost, I can retrace myself to somewhere that's familiar to me.

Sponsored Links
Old 02-19-11, 10:40 PM

Daephene is on a distinguished road

I have anticipatory anxiety about merging onto highways, especially freeways. But when I'm actually driving I'm ok. I drove in Minneapolis rush hour last summer and there was a moment when I could have hit the car in front of me, but I was not nearly as anxious at that moment as I had been when I got in the car and realized that it was five pm and the freeway was my only option.

I get the social anxiety about the people behind me too. Apparently I get it from my mother. When I was interviewing her to fill out the questions for the psychologist who diagnosed my adhd, we realized we both have this problem when we know we've missed a turn and we need to turn around, but we don't want to slow down or turn if there is someone behind us because that might annoy them. As though somehow they'd know that we were turning around instead of turning into our own driveway.

Other than those two things, I enjoy driving except in heavy traffic.
Old 02-19-11, 10:47 PM
Contributor

FaithofLeap has a spectacular aura aboutFaithofLeap has a spectacular aura about

I love to drive but I always feel like the person behind me is the enemy. I always feel like I am in the way even if I am going the speed limit or sometimes over. I also have PTSD anxiety when going through some dangerous intersections. I was in a major accident one time where I was hit by somebody who ran the red light.
Old 02-19-11, 11:08 PM

davoidone is on a distinguished road

I do not have this issue as bad as I used to in the past. My anxiety which would turn to full blown panic attacks would happen in traffic especially on a highway with no where to go. The feeling of being trapped the feeling of losing control or passing out. I never thought of myself as being claustrophobic (Had to look up the spelling) as it does not happen at under any other circumstance. I guess the whole fight or flight response fits it well as I would be in a situation that I WANTED the option to flee and that was not an option... Back then I was taking Xanax 4X a day at .5mg at a time and I knew it was not enough and I had a doctor who said no more as you are building a tolerance and soon you will need 5/6/7 a day. I am now on Klonopin and recently diagnosed with Adult ADD/ADHD which in many ways maybe why I have Anxiety/Panic disorder as well as depression as I feared fear. I was anticipating attacks so having panic about having a panic attack. This no longer happens to me while driving but will come on if I am lost or in a hurry and have no idea where I am going I seem to shutdown and not know what I am doing or where I am going so it is still there just not as often and not a traffic issue anymore.
Old 02-20-11, 06:02 AM
ADDvanced Member

ReedtheStrange is a jewel in the roughReedtheStrange is a jewel in the roughReedtheStrange is a jewel in the rough

I always feel like people from the oncoming lane are going to swerve into me for some reason.

Old 02-21-11, 10:59 AM

excel is a splendid one to beholdexcel is a splendid one to beholdexcel is a splendid one to beholdexcel is a splendid one to beholdexcel is a splendid one to beholdexcel is a splendid one to beholdexcel is a splendid one to beholdexcel is a splendid one to behold

My anxiety comes before I start driving with unreasonable fears .
Old 02-21-11, 11:42 PM
ADDvanced Member

I really hate it when people use their brights and it looks blue. I always think a police is following me, even if I've checked whether or not it's a police officer.

Old 02-21-11, 11:44 PM
Contributor

FaithofLeap has a spectacular aura aboutFaithofLeap has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReedtheStrange View Post
I really hate it when people use their brights and it looks blue. I always think a police is following me, even if I've checked whether or not it's a police officer.
Blue (xenon) lights are the worst. I am very sensitive to them. I compulsively have to look at them.
Old 02-22-11, 12:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReedtheStrange View Post
I hate the blinding bright lights too
Old 02-22-11, 11:11 PM
ADDvanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by FaithofLeap View Post
Blue (xenon) lights are the worst. I am very sensitive to them. I compulsively have to look at them.
I was driving with my friend and we were playing **** tha Police in my truck as we were driving. Right at the "**** tha pohlees!" part, some mother****er behind me decided to turn his brights on with those god damn things. I could tell he wasn't a cop, but I think he might have been ****ing with us.

Old 02-24-11, 03:39 PM

GPSs help but I need one to tell you what lane to get into. I think that would help at the confusing intersections.
Old 02-24-11, 03:44 PM
Contributor

This makes no sense but I love driving in very inclamate weather. We have a blizzard going on here and I am tempted to drive somwhere.
Old 02-26-11, 01:26 AM
ADDvanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by FaithofLeap View Post
This makes no sense but I love driving in very inclamate weather. We have a blizzard going on here and I am tempted to drive somwhere.
I like driving deserted roads in the rain.