ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > CO-EXISTING CONDITIONS > Anxiety Disorders, OCD & PTSD
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Anxiety Disorders, OCD & PTSD A forum to discuss Anxiety, Generalized Anxiety Disorder, Obsessive Compulsive Disorder, Panic Disorder, Post-Traumatic Stress Disorder, Simple Phobias, and Social Anxiety Disorder

Old 02-26-11, 01:35 AM
Forum ADDvocate

nova2012 is a splendid one to beholdnova2012 is a splendid one to beholdnova2012 is a splendid one to beholdnova2012 is a splendid one to beholdnova2012 is a splendid one to beholdnova2012 is a splendid one to beholdnova2012 is a splendid one to behold
Re: Driving Anxiety

I have driving anxiety, but it's mostly social anxiety and OCD-induced paranoia. Driving tonight was particularly bad. I think when I'm depressed both are amplified.
Old 02-26-11, 02:49 PM
Extradimensional Moderator

HighFunctioning has a brilliant futureHighFunctioning has a brilliant futureHighFunctioning has a brilliant futureHighFunctioning has a brilliant futureHighFunctioning has a brilliant futureHighFunctioning has a brilliant futureHighFunctioning has a brilliant futureHighFunctioning has a brilliant futureHighFunctioning has a brilliant futureHighFunctioning has a brilliant futureHighFunctioning has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReedtheStrange View Post
I really hate it when people use their brights and it looks blue. I always think a police is following me, even if I've checked whether or not it's a police officer.
The police in my area used to use either 6000K plus bulbs (likely) or real HID lamps, but that didn't last very long, so I no longer make this association. I'm suspicious of anyone riding in close proximity to my rear bumper at night without intent of passing me. I will often turn onto a different road in these cases just to see if my suspicion is correct.

I used to have driving anxiety, but now I'm fairly comfortable with it. The only time it's an issue now is in heavy traffic, or if I have to drive with someone else in the car. Other people in the car present a major distraction issue for myself, so in 99% cases of car pooling, I am not the driver.
Disclaimer: none of the posts on this forum should be taken as medical advice. Optimally, always seek the opinion of multiple experienced professionals, note any discrepancies, and use your best judgment, as well as research, to determine what is true, untrue, and neither (opinion).
Old 02-27-11, 01:41 AM

edvallie is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Velvetdragon View Post
I'm freaked out by being honked at as well. So driving a manual (where I might kill it at a stop sign or light) is even worse.
I feel the same way as well. Even though I rarely stall my car, it completely sets me off when I do. I definitely have issues with social anxiety, which would tie into what nova was saying as well.

I find driving at night/in bad weather to be the worst, so I typically try to avoid it when possible. I also like to drive with my GPS so that I know even if I end up missing a turn, it'll reroute me and I won't get lost in the middle of nowhere.
Sponsored Links
Old 03-02-11, 12:29 PM
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate

Thanked 1,128 Times in 677 Posts
excel is a splendid one to beholdexcel is a splendid one to beholdexcel is a splendid one to beholdexcel is a splendid one to beholdexcel is a splendid one to beholdexcel is a splendid one to beholdexcel is a splendid one to beholdexcel is a splendid one to behold

Gps systems can be big help, until you have a panic attack
Old 03-08-11, 08:45 PM

excel is a splendid one to beholdexcel is a splendid one to beholdexcel is a splendid one to beholdexcel is a splendid one to beholdexcel is a splendid one to beholdexcel is a splendid one to beholdexcel is a splendid one to beholdexcel is a splendid one to behold

What percentage of the driving population actually has driving anxiety?
Old 03-09-11, 11:16 AM

Has anyones driving anxiety ever gotten in the way of a meaningful relationship?
Old 03-10-11, 12:06 AM

giggles26 will become famous soon enough

Mine is more like I get panic attacks at the thought of backing into a parking spot, going through the car wash, etc... I used to not be able to go to the drive through window at fast food or the bank teller lines.
Old 03-10-11, 11:49 AM

never give in to your anxiety. easier said than done
Old 03-14-11, 09:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by giggles26 View Post
Mine is more like I get panic attacks at the thought of backing into a parking spot, going through the car wash, etc... I used to not be able to go to the drive through window at fast food or the bank teller lines.
never give into your anxiety.It only makes it worse or so i've been told. It better to work your way through it.
Old 03-16-11, 01:21 PM

Has your driving anxiety ever gotten you into a a car accident.
Old 03-17-11, 07:20 PM

I want to get rid of my driving anxiety once and for all
Old 03-20-11, 01:17 PM

cities mutiple major ways to go give anxiety
Old 03-21-11, 01:16 AM
ADDvanced Member

QuantumIguana has a spectacular aura aboutQuantumIguana has a spectacular aura about

I don't care for driving that much. It gets me where I am going, that's about it. If someone else can drive, I have no problem with that. I'd take the bus to work, but it takes too long, and there are limited routes.

I'm very space conscious. When I have to make a left turn, it makes me uncomfortable that I am making people wait behind me. People in the grocery store who don't notice that they are blocking the aisle annoy me, because I am diligent about not getting in people's way.l

There's just so much data to take in when driving. I assume that other drivers will be idiots. If I see someone driving oddly, I assume they will do something like make a sudden lane change without signaling. I don't trust people to stop at the stop signs or at the lights: many people don't even slow down until they reach the stop sign, and suddenly stop just when they reach the intersection. But sometimes they don't even stop there, and stop a couple feet into the intersection. I can't trust that they will actually stop in time to avoid a collision. It's a form of aggressive driving that they are doing, trick you into stopping, often they will say "Oh, if you're not going to go, then I will!"

I'm happy in the right lane, driving around the speed limit. If you don't like it, feel free to pass. Tailgating is just going to get me to go slower, not pressure me into going faster and faster.
The Following User Says Thank You to QuantumIguana For This Useful Post:
nhow (10-12-11)
Old 03-21-11, 10:23 AM
Contributor

Arei is a name known to allArei is a name known to allArei is a name known to allArei is a name known to allArei is a name known to allArei is a name known to all

I don't get why people are such jerks to people going the speed limit in the right lane. That is what it's for. No one wants the trouble, just get over to the left >_> If you're getting over to the right to exit and you're stuck behind people going slow, just be patient. I usually get over early to get on this one road because the traffic is always heavy in front of the exit and people do non signaling lane switch, so it's dangerous to be going 70 doing the lane switching when people will be going 40 and unexpectedly switch lanes. My mom was swerving around last night and it made me so nervous @_@ Just get over and wait.

Now, going 20 below in the left lane? GTFO

THAT makes me nervous. Nothing is worse then following the flow of traffic, and someone a bit in front of you swerves at the lest second around someone going that slow, and you have to hope and pray no one is on your right so you can get over too, I hate when people in those bigass trucks do those surprise maneuvers and you find a slow car you couldn't see coming up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by edvallie View Post
I find driving at night/in bad weather to be the worst, so I typically try to avoid it when possible. I also like to drive with my GPS so that I know even if I end up missing a turn, it'll reroute me and I won't get lost in the middle of nowhere.
Gotta love GPS. My only real anxiety when driving is getting lost, it makes me angry and panic. Usually because I did not care to drive out however far away this place I don't know is. And when people you're following aren't kind enough to wait for you if you lose them, ugh. GPS is wonderful. Though that might be less anxiety and just general annoyance.

The only thing I get real paranoid about is driving at night a little ways from here. Wether I've been at the mall late or coming home from a friend's house, there are a bunch of creeps in the next town over. It makes me nervous when they ride up next to me and keep staring. Other then that, everything is ok.

Old 03-21-11, 12:37 PM

I have aniety and fear of geting lost too. I have a gps but some intersections are just so confusing