ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > CO-EXISTING CONDITIONS > Anxiety Disorders, OCD & PTSD
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Anxiety Disorders, OCD & PTSD A forum to discuss Anxiety, Generalized Anxiety Disorder, Obsessive Compulsive Disorder, Panic Disorder, Post-Traumatic Stress Disorder, Simple Phobias, and Social Anxiety Disorder

Old 04-07-11, 05:39 PM
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate

Thanked 1,128 Times in 677 Posts
excel is a splendid one to beholdexcel is a splendid one to beholdexcel is a splendid one to beholdexcel is a splendid one to beholdexcel is a splendid one to beholdexcel is a splendid one to beholdexcel is a splendid one to beholdexcel is a splendid one to behold
Re: Driving Anxiety

What brings on driving anxiety
Old 10-12-11, 04:16 AM
Jr Member

nhow is on a distinguished road

I have adult ADD (diagnosed and treated with ritilin for 16 years). I started having difficulty in some driving situations. I've always been a careful, safe driver. However I started getting anxious when I had to merge into traffic, especially highway driving and changing lanes. I moved to the UK 5 years ago and have been unable to adjust to driving here. The roads are a lot narrower than in the US (other cars too close) and I get a lot of anxiety when negotiating large roundabouts (the more traffic the worse). I took lessons with two instructors for over a year, but got so anxious on roundabouts that I'd lose focus and several times started to drift out of my lane with the instructor needing to grab the wheel and keep us from hitting someone! I had so much anxiety I never could take the driving test. Result is my husband has to drive us everywhere (although I do all the driving when we're in the States). I feel very guilty about this but can't overcome it. I never connected it with ADD but now realise it's pretty common. I also have problems with reading (registering the information on) traffic signs. And of course they're all a bit different in the UK to what I'm accustomed to.
Old 10-12-11, 11:46 AM

excel is a splendid one to beholdexcel is a splendid one to beholdexcel is a splendid one to beholdexcel is a splendid one to beholdexcel is a splendid one to beholdexcel is a splendid one to beholdexcel is a splendid one to beholdexcel is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by nhow View Post
I have adult ADD (diagnosed and treated with ritilin for 16 years). I started having difficulty in some driving situations. I've always been a careful, safe driver. However I started getting anxious when I had to merge into traffic, especially highway driving and changing lanes. I moved to the UK 5 years ago and have been unable to adjust to driving here. The roads are a lot narrower than in the US (other cars too close) and I get a lot of anxiety when negotiating large roundabouts (the more traffic the worse). I took lessons with two instructors for over a year, but got so anxious on roundabouts that I'd lose focus and several times started to drift out of my lane with the instructor needing to grab the wheel and keep us from hitting someone! I had so much anxiety I never could take the driving test. Result is my husband has to drive us everywhere (although I do all the driving when we're in the States). I feel very guilty about this but can't overcome it. I never connected it with ADD but now realise it's pretty common. I also have problems with reading (registering the information on) traffic signs. And of course they're all a bit different in the UK to what I'm accustomed to.
Could the anxiety becoming from slow processing speed
Sponsored Links
Old 10-12-11, 12:02 PM
Jr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by excel View Post
Could the anxiety becoming from slow processing speed
I suppose it could but really have no idea. It may be a matter of sensory overload...too much to process at the same time. I don't like being in large groups either.
Old 10-12-11, 12:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nhow View Post
I suppose it could but really have no idea. It may be a matter of sensory overload...too much to process at the same time. I don't like being in large groups either.
It could be a combination of the two. That might me one of my issues
Old 12-19-11, 01:32 PM

It used to be whenever be gettig readin g to go on a trip and the whole trip I would have all these untollable thoughts come into my head. I would also have the excessive urination all caused by my anxiety.
Old 12-21-11, 06:31 AM

msmedieval has disabled reputation

Ever since my accident a couple of months ago (I wrote a thread about it) I've been even more anxious when it comes to getting behind the wheel. I fumbled with the radio, looked round everywhere, & talked continuously. Now, even though I'm not driving, I get absolutely terrified when my brother drives me anywhere. His driving never scared me before but now I'm constantly looking at his speed (which is always low) & grabbing my seat-belt any time another car is close. I know I'm gonna have to drive again sometime but I'm so bad at it I know I'll be getting into another crash.
The Following User Says Thank You to msmedieval For This Useful Post:
nhow (12-21-11)
Old 12-21-11, 06:41 AM
Jr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by msmedieval View Post
Ever since my accident a couple of months ago (I wrote a thread about it) I've been even more anxious when it comes to getting behind the wheel. I fumbled with the radio, looked round everywhere, & talked continuously. Now, even though I'm not driving, I get absolutely terrified when my brother drives me anywhere. His driving never scared me before but now I'm constantly looking at his speed (which is always low) & grabbing my seat-belt any time another car is close. I know I'm gonna have to drive again sometime but I'm so bad at it I know I'll be getting into another crash.
I was so anxious (on large roundabouts) I could never take my UK test and therefore only have a provisional license. I'm very nervous as a passenger with my husband driving. He actually does drive too fast and tailgates. This past weekend he ran 3 red lights and just barely stopped at a 4th when I screamed 'red light.' Said he wasn't concentrating!! I'm now scared s***less to drive with him. Not a happy situation
The Following User Says Thank You to nhow For This Useful Post:
msmedieval (01-07-12)
Old 12-21-11, 10:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by msmedieval View Post
Talking with someone about should make the fear go away.
The Following User Says Thank You to excel For This Useful Post:
msmedieval (12-28-11)
Old 12-21-11, 04:33 PM
Jr Member

happytrails is on a distinguished road

I do not like to drive at sundown or at night because it's hard for me to decipher if lights are headlights or street lamps in the distance, and all of the other lights distract me from making snap decisions if needed. It's very difficult in a busy street. Highway driving isn't that bad for me, it's mainly trying to figure out the headlights and turn lanes and stop lights in the dark when everything is the same color except the lights. My eyesight is fine, I do wear glasses, but I can drive fine in the daytime.

I also get worried when someone is directly behind me, that I'm going to mess up or they think I may not be going fast enough. Especially if I'm in an unfamiliar area or trying to find a turn I've not taken before. I tend to pull over and let them pass before I move on.

After having about 5 speeding tickets in the past 3 years, including a suspended license from forgetting to pay the ticket, I drive like a little old lady and I don't care who gets annoyed by it.
Old 12-22-11, 10:30 AM

Driving at night can be a pain. The glare from the headlight can be hard on the eyes. The trick is to slow down and be cautious.
Old 01-20-12, 04:22 PM

GregWeber is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by River View Post
My driving anxiety is so bad that I'm 22 and I have yet to even try learning how to drive.

Sigh.

I would say that...pretty much everything worries me about driving.
Have you been able to make any progress with this?
Old 01-20-12, 04:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReedtheStrange View Post
I really hate it when people use their brights and it looks blue. I always think a police is following me, even if I've checked whether or not it's a police officer.
Me too. I hate those new blue headlights, although the halogen lights are actually safer because the driver can see better.
Old 01-20-12, 04:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by excel View Post
How do you deal with your driving anxiety, and what keeps you going
Meditation, relaxation, and lots of practice! Also, knowing that others struggle with driving anxiety has helped my self-esteem tremendously.
The Following User Says Thank You to GregWeber For This Useful Post:
Ipsofacto (06-22-12)
Old 06-12-12, 02:47 PM

I still struggle with it. I think it's due to my slow processing first than anxiety