ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > ADDF Lounge > Chit-Chat > ADD Tech Corner
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

ADD Tech Corner Discuss issues with software, hardware, viruses, security and other technology issues here.

Old 06-22-11, 05:02 PM
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate

Thanked 1,691 Times in 1,107 Posts
sighduck has a brilliant futuresighduck has a brilliant futuresighduck has a brilliant futuresighduck has a brilliant futuresighduck has a brilliant futuresighduck has a brilliant futuresighduck has a brilliant futuresighduck has a brilliant futuresighduck has a brilliant futuresighduck has a brilliant futuresighduck has a brilliant future
Re: Def con

I've tried to get into programming... just never worked for me, but i've always wanted to play with electronics

and things that can go boom! ive always been a bit of a pyromaniac :/ used to make all kinds of exploding things when i was younger

but like i said, i'm currently more of a scene ***** than anything else
Old 06-22-11, 05:10 PM

meringue will become famous soon enough

Oh man I remember i got to make rockets in elementary school once. That was so awesome. Ever done the exploding coke and mentos thing?

Eh, scene ***** or hacker, whatever. If you're interested that's what counts, in my opinion
sighduck (06-22-11)
Old 06-22-11, 05:20 PM

sighduck has a brilliant futuresighduck has a brilliant futuresighduck has a brilliant futuresighduck has a brilliant futuresighduck has a brilliant futuresighduck has a brilliant futuresighduck has a brilliant futuresighduck has a brilliant futuresighduck has a brilliant futuresighduck has a brilliant futuresighduck has a brilliant future

i did do the one with bicarb and vinegar... which sparked of my explosive interest (excuse the pun)

i did run a few capacitors with 220v which makes for quite an interesting explosion, i did want to try it with the one massive cap that my dad had, was about 20 cm tall and had a diameter of about 5cm (that wouldve made quite a boom) but when i eventually got around to it, i couldnt find it anywhere

i also used to make little match end bombs, where you take a whole bunch of match ends, put them in a ball of paper with the lighting strips from the boxes on the sides (safety matches only sometimes work for this) and tape it down heavily with stickytape, then throw it hard at a wall.... makes for quite a fireball

another one i used to enjoy was also with match heads, stick some of the match powder in a nut wich is halfway protruding of a bolt, then srew a bolt on the other side, and drop a brick on it... the bolt disappears...

i would have loved to have played with some homemade gunpowder, but could never get my hands on potassium nitrate
Old 06-22-11, 05:34 PM

That sounds awesome. You're much more of a chemist than I am!

I don't think I've ever seen a capacitor as big as 20cm x 5cm. Though I guess I did see some pretty giant but ancient capacitors in high school physics... but they didn't work any longer. Or maybe they were batteries... my memory is nonexistent

I have a friend who gets to blow things up for a living (what's his title... combustion engineer maybe?). Must be an awesome job
sighduck (06-22-11)
Old 06-22-11, 05:37 PM

defenitely... i did want to be a pyrotechnical expert when i was younger... but when i grew up i realized there just wasnt enough opportunities available for that
Old 06-22-11, 05:38 PM

so what kind of hacking interests you?
Old 06-22-11, 05:43 PM

I mostly do computer hacking, though not the breaking-into-computers-sort-of-hacking, more of the defending-computers-sort-of-hacking or just working on fun coding projects. I did a CTF competition earlier this year which was a lot of fun, although my team did pretty horribly
Old 06-22-11, 05:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by meringue View Post
I did a CTF competition earlier this year which was a lot of fun, although my team did pretty horribly
gonna be a real noob here and ask what you mean by that?
Old 06-22-11, 05:49 PM

Oh, sorry, I should have clarified

CTF == Capture The Flag, where everybody has a computer/VM and you have to simultaneously break into other people's computers and capture their "flags", which are text files that have random text in them and you submit the text to prove that you had access to the file, while also defending your computer against other people hacking into it.

It's a lot of fun but I really still have a lot to learn!
sighduck (06-22-11)
Old 06-22-11, 05:52 PM

that really does sound awesome, if i can just get into the whole coding thing i would love to try it
Old 06-23-11, 06:18 PM

Depending on which part you focus on coding is more or less of an issue. Defense is more about scripting things (e.g. with bash or python or something, which requires basic programming knowledge but you don't have to be a wizard) and server administration and knowing which tools to use. Offense you definitely need to be good at both reading and finding flaws in code and being able to write code to exploit those flaws.
Old 06-24-11, 03:32 AM

ye, i once tried to learn java, i just couldnt get into it... maybe ill make that one of my holiday projects
Old 06-26-11, 04:52 PM

I honestly would recommend something more like Python -- I hate Java -- but that's personal preference I find Java to be bloated and verbose and too constrained. Python, on the other hand, is wonnnddderrrfulll! The downside is that code execution is much slower compared to compiled languages like Java. But if you're not doing something that requires speed then it doesn't really matter.
sighduck (07-09-11)
Old 06-26-11, 07:50 PM
ADDvanced Contributor

diced is a jewel in the roughdiced is a jewel in the roughdiced is a jewel in the rough

Last few times when I tried to do some programming (other than for study purposes), I always got stuck at not having a clear idea on what I actually wanted the stuff to do.

So I end up writing a lot of stuff that's supposed to do all kinds of cool stuff, but doesn't even do the simplest of things...
sighduck (07-09-11)
Old 07-09-11, 04:28 AM

thing is, my brother has a nice big book on java for me to learn from