ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > TREATMENT & MANAGEMENT > Medications > Medications for Co-Existing Conditions
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Old 06-10-18, 04:01 PM
Contributor

LyrinMeow is a splendid one to beholdLyrinMeow is a splendid one to beholdLyrinMeow is a splendid one to beholdLyrinMeow is a splendid one to beholdLyrinMeow is a splendid one to beholdLyrinMeow is a splendid one to beholdLyrinMeow is a splendid one to beholdLyrinMeow is a splendid one to behold
Nightmares

So I took a nap right after work Friday. Laid down at 4pm. Thought I'd sleep for a few hours and wake up. I did not. I missed taking my medications. I take all of them at night because they are sedating.

I woke up at 4am from a bad nightmare. I was screaming in the dream and I'm not entirely sure I wasn't actually screaming. I cannot remember the last time I had a nightmare. I rarely remember my dreams.

I took my medications last night, however, this morning I woke up to another nightmare. I have no idea where this is coming from. The only thing that changed was me missing my medications the first night.

Has anyone experienced anything like this from missing a dosage of medications? This is getting old fast.

Non ADHD medications I am on: Celexa, Elavil, Klonopin, Risperdal, and Ambien.
Old 06-10-18, 04:03 PM
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate

Thanked 26,484 Times in 12,362 Posts
Lunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Nightmares

This happens to me when I'm getting sick, my allergies are killing me,
or I'm getting a migraine.

Friday night the dream was intense, but not quite a nightmare despite
my ex being there at the end of it.

Saturday night, total nightmare, not over it yet. Bad migraine. Very bad.

As far as I know, there is nothing positive about ADHD that people can't have w out ADHD. ~ ADD me
Old 06-10-18, 04:10 PM

Thanked 6,495 Times in 3,096 Posts
Fraser_0762 has a reputation beyond reputeFraser_0762 has a reputation beyond reputeFraser_0762 has a reputation beyond reputeFraser_0762 has a reputation beyond reputeFraser_0762 has a reputation beyond reputeFraser_0762 has a reputation beyond reputeFraser_0762 has a reputation beyond reputeFraser_0762 has a reputation beyond reputeFraser_0762 has a reputation beyond reputeFraser_0762 has a reputation beyond reputeFraser_0762 has a reputation beyond repute

We generally dream everytime we sleep. But we're more likely to remember those dreams when we fail to enter the deeper stages of REM. You probably failed to enter the final stages, because you're used to the sedative effects of the medication and your body was withdrawing from it.

It's nothing to be concerned about.
Sponsored Links
Old 06-10-18, 04:13 PM
ADDvanced Contributor

CharlesH is a name known to allCharlesH is a name known to allCharlesH is a name known to allCharlesH is a name known to allCharlesH is a name known to allCharlesH is a name known to allCharlesH is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by LyrinMeow View Post
I was screaming in the dream and I'm not entirely sure I wasn't actually screaming.
Was it an episode of sleep paralysis? I get that from time to time. Nightmares can often be from increased norepinephrine levels. And also from disturbed sleep cycles.
Old 06-10-18, 04:25 PM
Contributor

LyrinMeow is a splendid one to beholdLyrinMeow is a splendid one to beholdLyrinMeow is a splendid one to beholdLyrinMeow is a splendid one to beholdLyrinMeow is a splendid one to beholdLyrinMeow is a splendid one to beholdLyrinMeow is a splendid one to beholdLyrinMeow is a splendid one to behold

No paralysis. I was able to move as soon as I woke up.

I guess you could say my sleep cycle is disturbed. Abnormal at best. I can't go to sleep and once I do I can't get up. Also noted by sleeping for 12 straight hours. If I only sleep 8 hours or so on the weekdays I sleep all of Saturday. But without my medications I can lay in bed for hours on end and not fall asleep. The only reason I was able to fall asleep Friday was essentially, to my body, from sleep deprivation of 6-8 hours of sleep during the week. I just assume it's fibro related.

Dreaming is part of the sleep cycle. It's just rare for me to remember a dream. And even rarer is me having a nightmare. It's probably been years as far as I'm aware.
Old 06-10-18, 04:34 PM

Thanked 30,581 Times in 14,077 Posts
Fuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlesH View Post
Was it an episode of sleep paralysis? I get that from time to time. Nightmares can often be from increased norepinephrine levels. And also from disturbed sleep cycles.
I get sleep paralysis too though not as often as I did when I was younger. I absolutely hate it when it happens. I didn't know it had to do with norepinephrine (or is that just nightmares?)
Old 06-10-18, 05:31 PM
ADDvanced Contributor

CharlesH is a name known to allCharlesH is a name known to allCharlesH is a name known to allCharlesH is a name known to allCharlesH is a name known to allCharlesH is a name known to allCharlesH is a name known to all

Quote:
It's just rare for me to remember a dream. And even rarer is me having a nightmare. It's probably been years as far as I'm aware.
Interesting! I think most people will often vaguely remember some dreams from time to time, though the memories fade pretty quickly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzzy12 View Post
I get sleep paralysis too though not as often as I did when I was younger. I absolutely hate it when it happens. I didn't know it had to do with norepinephrine (or is that just nightmares?)
Oh, I just meant that increased norepinephrine is associated with increased dreaming (and nightmares).

I think sleep paralysis is more associated with a disrupted sleep cycle (your brain wakes up from sleep before your body does).
Old 06-10-18, 05:34 PM

Thanked 26,484 Times in 12,362 Posts
Lunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
No paralysis. I was able to move as soon as I woke up.

I guess you could say my sleep cycle is disturbed. Abnormal at best. I can't go to sleep and once I do I can't get up. Also noted by sleeping for 12 straight hours. If I only sleep 8 hours or so on the weekdays I sleep all of Saturday. But without my medications I can lay in bed for hours on end and not fall asleep. The only reason I was able to fall asleep Friday was essentially, to my body, from sleep deprivation of 6-8 hours of sleep during the week. I just assume it's fibro related.

Dreaming is part of the sleep cycle. It's just rare for me to remember a dream. And even rarer is me having a nightmare. It's probably been years as far as I'm aware.
I have needed about 9 hours of sleep for as long as I can remember.
When I'm having a Fibro Flare I sleep for 10-11 hours
unless my hips hurt too bad to sleep at all.

As far as I know, there is nothing positive about ADHD that people can't have w out ADHD. ~ ADD me
The Following User Says Thank You to Lunacie For This Useful Post:
Lizzie80 (10-05-18)