ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > TREATMENT & MANAGEMENT > Medications > Medications for Co-Existing Conditions
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 06-28-18, 09:04 AM
samilia samilia is offline
Member
 

Join Date: Feb 2017
Location: Australia
Posts: 69
Thanks: 13
Thanked 12 Times in 11 Posts
samilia is on a distinguished road
Mirtazapine (remeron) and dexamphetamine/stimulants? weight gain? experience??

Hey there!

I was just looking up some information on remeron/mirtazapine as my shrink prescribed it to me for anxiety so i can get off the clonazepam/klonopin.


I have read what feels like forum after forum of people gaining so much weight on mirtzapine. I have body image issues as it is and getting fat is NOT an option for me.

Then, i realized of those people on the med that were getting fat, they dont have add/or arent on a stimulant like dex or adderall.

Ive been on dex for 9-10 mos now and my weight has stayed the same (but i initially lost a few kilos due to the intistial stong appetite loss).

Did the remeron make you gain weight even while you take dex /or other stimulant also?? Or did the stimulant contract this?

Thanks for any help, Sam =)
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 06-28-18, 09:32 AM
sarahsweets's Avatar
sarahsweets sarahsweets is offline
Mod-A-holic
 

Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: nj, usa
Posts: 28,445
Thanks: 5,776
Thanked 32,894 Times in 15,250 Posts
sarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Mirtazapine (remeron) and dexamphetamine/stimulants? weight gain? experience??

What I know about Remeron is it is an oldschool antidepressant that is used offlabel for sleep because it can be very sedating. When used for sleep, a lower dose is needed. The higher doses are better for those with major depressive disorder. It makes you super hungry...like famished. That is why the weight gain issue can be a problem. But like I said, with higher doses when its used for depression tend to have less of that side effect. I do not think a stimulant makes much of a difference unless you less likely to be hungry while on it.
__________________
President of the No F's given society.

I carried a watermelon?
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 06-28-18, 11:32 AM
CharlesH CharlesH is offline
ADDvanced Contributor
 

Join Date: Mar 2017
Location: USA
Posts: 725
Thanks: 143
Thanked 423 Times in 284 Posts
CharlesH is a name known to allCharlesH is a name known to allCharlesH is a name known to allCharlesH is a name known to allCharlesH is a name known to allCharlesH is a name known to allCharlesH is a name known to all
Re: Mirtazapine (remeron) and dexamphetamine/stimulants? weight gain? experience??

Mirtazapine is a weird drug in my experience. It makes you want to sleep 15 hours a day, crazy intense dreams. Make sure to set multiple alarms clocks.

And your stomach has that physical pang of hunger that doesn't go away no matter how much food you stuff down there. It's not a mental craving, but more of a physical craving. But then the pangs of hunger subside about 30 minutes after you stuff yourself. I think the appetite effect goes away after a few days, but the sleep effect is more long term.

Since I primarily took mirtazapine at night, I don't have much experience with how it interacts with stimulants. I suspect it tends to overpower the stimulants in terms of sedation/alertness. Not sure about appetite.
Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
  #4  
Old 07-02-18, 04:07 AM
samilia samilia is offline
Member
 

Join Date: Feb 2017
Location: Australia
Posts: 69
Thanks: 13
Thanked 12 Times in 11 Posts
samilia is on a distinguished road
Re: Mirtazapine (remeron) and dexamphetamine/stimulants? weight gain? experience??

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarahsweets View Post
What I know about Remeron is it is an oldschool antidepressant that is used offlabel for sleep because it can be very sedating. When used for sleep, a lower dose is needed. The higher doses are better for those with major depressive disorder. It makes you super hungry...like famished. That is why the weight gain issue can be a problem. But like I said, with higher doses when its used for depression tend to have less of that side effect. I do not think a stimulant makes much of a difference unless you less likely to be hungry while on it.

good point. So first dose was last night and today i was hungry all day. But didn't give in all day, but i ate more than i usually would, which is a real shame.

I was reading if it is going to affect your weight it will happen straight away. As in by the first 4 weeks you will be up 4 to 8 kilos!!

If i gain any weight, i am done!!
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 07-02-18, 04:12 AM
samilia samilia is offline
Member
 

Join Date: Feb 2017
Location: Australia
Posts: 69
Thanks: 13
Thanked 12 Times in 11 Posts
samilia is on a distinguished road
Re: Mirtazapine (remeron) and dexamphetamine/stimulants? weight gain? experience??

Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlesH View Post
Mirtazapine is a weird drug in my experience. It makes you want to sleep 15 hours a day, crazy intense dreams. Make sure to set multiple alarms clocks.

And your stomach has that physical pang of hunger that doesn't go away no matter how much food you stuff down there. It's not a mental craving, but more of a physical craving. But then the pangs of hunger subside about 30 minutes after you stuff yourself. I think the appetite effect goes away after a few days, but the sleep effect is more long term.

Since I primarily took mirtazapine at night, I don't have much experience with how it interacts with stimulants. I suspect it tends to overpower the stimulants in terms of sedation/alertness. Not sure about appetite.
do you regularly take stimulants? and do you regularly take mirtazapine?? and did you gain weight? how many kilos/lbs in what amount of time?

Thanks for your reply =)
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 07-02-18, 07:42 AM
CharlesH CharlesH is offline
ADDvanced Contributor
 

Join Date: Mar 2017
Location: USA
Posts: 725
Thanks: 143
Thanked 423 Times in 284 Posts
CharlesH is a name known to allCharlesH is a name known to allCharlesH is a name known to allCharlesH is a name known to allCharlesH is a name known to allCharlesH is a name known to allCharlesH is a name known to all
Re: Mirtazapine (remeron) and dexamphetamine/stimulants? weight gain? experience??

Quote:
Originally Posted by samilia View Post
do you regularly take stimulants? and do you regularly take mirtazapine?? and did you gain weight? how many kilos/lbs in what amount of time?

Thanks for your reply =)
I have been regularly taking stimulants for the last couple years for my ADHD. I was also on mirtazapine regularly for a few months at nighttime to help with depression/anxiety/sleep/appetite. I don't take it anymore, since I just didn't want to be on so many different meds.

I actually wanted to gain weight since I was quite underweight, and I gained about 10 pounds over a couple months. Then again, I had a BMI of about 17 at the time, so it wasn't that hard to gain weight. The weight changes come from dietary changes, rather than directly from the meds. I tend to have a poor appetite when I'm stressed, and so the mirtazapine was good at letting me just gobble down food without feeling full/nauseated.

If you don't want to gain weight, and if you're fine with letting your stomach growl for a while, then you'll probably be fine. It's really more of a physical hunger than a psychological hunger.
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 07-04-18, 07:17 AM
samilia samilia is offline
Member
 

Join Date: Feb 2017
Location: Australia
Posts: 69
Thanks: 13
Thanked 12 Times in 11 Posts
samilia is on a distinguished road
Re: Mirtazapine (remeron) and dexamphetamine/stimulants? weight gain? experience??

Im guessing because you wanted to gain weight, you would have welcomed the increased appetite and enjoyed it? ..

I am on my 4th dose (nightly) so far. I have noticed It is really hard to not only wake up, but actually get out of bed after ive waken up. I feel like a sluggish mess. But when I take the dex, it sort of balnaces it out a little, but im still more sedentary now. Im also wanting to eat more and have given in on occasion to irresistible temptation like the oreos tonight =/ So far I have gone down 200grams in weight. (lost 0.4 lbs)

It also feels like its cutting out some of the dexedrines / dexamphetamines positive effects also =/
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 07-04-18, 08:05 AM
sarahsweets's Avatar
sarahsweets sarahsweets is offline
Mod-A-holic
 

Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: nj, usa
Posts: 28,445
Thanks: 5,776
Thanked 32,894 Times in 15,250 Posts
sarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Mirtazapine (remeron) and dexamphetamine/stimulants? weight gain? experience??

It can make you really groggy and sluggish in the morning. I just re-read your post and realized that your doctor is giving you this for anxiety? Instead of Klonopin? Personally I wouldnt prescribe you something that is intended for sleep and causes drowsiness for anxiety. There are many antidepressants and other non-benzos for his. I take buspar which takes a few weeks to bulild up, but one day I woke up and realized that I didnt feel like I was on the verge of a panic attack anymore. And no sleepy side effects. If you have a panic attack it isnt going to help- its not an as needed med, it has to build up, but it definitely reduced them for me.
__________________
President of the No F's given society.

I carried a watermelon?
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 07-04-18, 08:35 AM
samilia samilia is offline
Member
 

Join Date: Feb 2017
Location: Australia
Posts: 69
Thanks: 13
Thanked 12 Times in 11 Posts
samilia is on a distinguished road
Re: Mirtazapine (remeron) and dexamphetamine/stimulants? weight gain? experience??

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarahsweets View Post
It can make you really groggy and sluggish in the morning. I just re-read your post and realized that your doctor is giving you this for anxiety? Instead of Klonopin? Personally I wouldnt prescribe you something that is intended for sleep and causes drowsiness for anxiety. There are many antidepressants and other non-benzos for his. I take buspar which takes a few weeks to bulild up, but one day I woke up and realized that I didnt feel like I was on the verge of a panic attack anymore. And no sleepy side effects. If you have a panic attack it isnt going to help- its not an as needed med, it has to build up, but it definitely reduced them for me.

I actually initially went to the PD ro ask for buspar but he told me that we dont have buspar here in Australian anymore.
It was discontinued in 2012 here.

Mirt apparently is very good for anxiety according to most.

*sigh*

I will just have to give it the wait and see approach.
I wish i could fast forward 4 weeks to see where i am at.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 12:12 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
(c) 2003 - 2015 ADD Forums