ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > TREATMENT & MANAGEMENT > Medications > Medications for Co-Existing Conditions
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Old 07-07-18, 07:11 PM
ADDvanced Member

Charmcityguy22 will become famous soon enough
adhd and anxiety plus depression

so I have adhd and anxiety and I'm 90 present sure I have depression,i have all.of the symptoms.of depression.i take a stimulant for ADHD and have for years.Right now I'm on a stimulant called Cotempla,I've been taking that for a month now and like it somewhat,stimulants ramp.up my anxiety to the point of going to the E.R regularly,I am given Benzo's every time I leave the ER,Ativan helps crush my anxiety in its tracks,but I dont like taking it as its known to be high addictive,i was taking Buspar for 6 months till it stopped working.ive tried an SSRI once called lexapro,i tried that for a day and did not like how it caused emotional blunting.im at my wits end with the anxiety and want to try something i can take at night after the stimulant wears off,I know everyone is different and reacts to meds differently,what's everyone's choice for and SSRI to help anxiety/depression I can take at night with little side effects,I can deal with the waiting for it to kick in and build up in my body.
Old 07-07-18, 07:16 PM
ADDvanced Member

Re: adhd and anxiety plus depression

Prozac or Sarafem (fluoxetine)
Celexa (citalopram)
Zoloft (sertraline)
Paxil, Paxeva, or Brisdelle (paroxetine)
Lexapro (escitalopram
Old 07-07-18, 07:16 PM
ADDvanced Member

which of these should I try first via my Phychiatrist
Sponsored Links
Old 07-07-18, 07:38 PM
ADDvanced Contributor

CharlesH is a name known to allCharlesH is a name known to allCharlesH is a name known to allCharlesH is a name known to allCharlesH is a name known to allCharlesH is a name known to allCharlesH is a name known to all

You're probably not going to like my response, but if the stimulant is causing you such anxiety that you are regularly going to the ER, I'd suggest that you consider adjusting the stimulant medication first. You might do better on a lower dosage, or on a different stimulant (Adderall, Vyvanse, etc).

I personally never responded that well to SSRIs, and I think they are overrated, but that's just my personal opinion.

Mirtazapine is not an SSRI, but it works through a somewhat similar serotonin mechanism. It's often taken at night due to its sedative properties. It might be worth asking your doc about it.
Old 07-07-18, 08:12 PM
ADDvanced Member

great,thanks for the reply,I'm on the lowest dose of the stimulant I take,or the lowest therapeutic dose.
Old 07-07-18, 08:25 PM

Budkeiser is on a distinguished road

It may be more beneficial to get a grip on the anxiety/depression first. Since youíre currently on the lowest dose for ADHD, it sounds like to me the ADHD therapy could be paused until the anxiety/depression is under control.
Worry about the ADHD afterwards.
Old 07-08-18, 05:23 AM
Mod-A-holic

Thanked 32,909 Times in 15,257 Posts
sarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond repute

I have bpII and various anxiety issues. I take: Cymbalta, Lamictal. Buspar, and Geodon. I take Adderall xr for the adhd.

I carried a watermelon?
Old 07-08-18, 08:56 AM
ADDvanced Member

thanks for the replies,I was taking Adderall xr qnd took it a few years ago but it seemed to cause major mood swings and mania,maybe due to not hydrating kr eating enough but I do want a med for both anxiety/depression.and dont like the way benzos are so habit forming.ill talk to my PDOC about it this week when I hopefully see him.and se about an SSRI or the like.as I say Buspar was great for a while then stopped working,I was also not on a stimulant when I took the buspar.and sarahsweets you take all of those for Anxiety,that's alot vit hipe they work great for you.anxiety is life crushing.
Old 07-08-18, 08:58 AM
ADDvanced Member

is it just me or are others sensitive to medication.im also trying to start a brand/youtube channel and that ramps up myndepression as well,its tough.
Old 07-08-18, 10:32 AM
Mod-A-holic

Thanked 32,909 Times in 15,257 Posts
sarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charmcityguy22 View Post
thanks for the replies,I was taking Adderall xr qnd took it a few years ago but it seemed to cause major mood swings and mania,maybe due to not hydrating kr eating enough but I do want a med for both anxiety/depression.and dont like the way benzos are so habit forming.ill talk to my PDOC about it this week when I hopefully see him.and se about an SSRI or the like.as I say Buspar was great for a while then stopped working,I was also not on a stimulant when I took the buspar.and sarahsweets you take all of those for Anxiety,that's alot vit hipe they work great for you.anxiety is life crushing.
I have BII so they are mostly for that.

I carried a watermelon?
Old 10-05-18, 05:32 AM
Jr Member

carrythestars is on a distinguished road

I think if you have insurance, your psychiatrist can take a DNA swab test to see which medications could work best with your body's make up. I had that done. Had a whole list of meds that could be more effective and ones that wouldn't be.
Old 10-05-18, 08:48 AM
Contributor

Funky1 is a name known to allFunky1 is a name known to allFunky1 is a name known to allFunky1 is a name known to allFunky1 is a name known to allFunky1 is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by carrythestars View Post
I think if you have insurance, your psychiatrist can take a DNA swab test to see which medications could work best with your body's make up. I had that done. Had a whole list of meds that could be more effective and ones that wouldn't be.
I had one of these tests done also, but be careful with your expectations concerning insurance. I was told my ins would cover most of the cost, but when it came down to it they fought me through the entire process.
Old 10-22-18, 07:35 AM
ADDvanced Member

bldt is a jewel in the roughbldt is a jewel in the roughbldt is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Funky1 View Post
I had one of these tests done also, but be careful with your expectations concerning insurance. I was told my ins would cover most of the cost, but when it came down to it they fought me through the entire process.
Is it that expensive that if it's not covered most people wouldn't be able to afford it?