ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > ADDF Lounge > Chit-Chat > ADD Tech Corner
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

ADD Tech Corner Discuss issues with software, hardware, viruses, security and other technology issues here.

Old 06-10-11, 02:38 AM
Forum Guru

Grasshoppaa is just really niceGrasshoppaa is just really niceGrasshoppaa is just really niceGrasshoppaa is just really nice
Random Tech Question For Computer Gurus

I've been trying to figure out how to do this for a while, so I figured I'd blow the cobwebs off the "ADD Tech Corner" section and see if anyone here can help me out.

What I'm trying to do is merge two partitions of a hard drive together, or in other words I want to make a partitioned hard drive un-partitioned. I know that I can just reformat the drive, but I'm trying to do it without erasing any information. Does anyone know how to do this and/or what program I can use to do it with?

P.S: One of the partitions is empty if that helps at all.

Thank you!

If you have any questions, comments, or suggestions about the fun on this forum, please send a message to Metzfanaz in the complaint department.
Old 06-10-11, 10:34 AM
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate

Thanked 1,476 Times in 780 Posts
tipoo has a brilliant futuretipoo has a brilliant futuretipoo has a brilliant futuretipoo has a brilliant futuretipoo has a brilliant futuretipoo has a brilliant futuretipoo has a brilliant futuretipoo has a brilliant futuretipoo has a brilliant futuretipoo has a brilliant futuretipoo has a brilliant future
Re: Random Tech Question For Computer Gurus

If one partition is empty its considerably easier. Are you on Windows 7/vista, or an older version? If the former, you can do it with windows. Right click my computer in the start menu, go to manage. Go to disk management, and there ya are. Delete the empty partition, then expand the other one into it.

If your on another OS or an older Windows, you can use Acronis for partitioning software. They have a free trial that should be enough.
Old 06-10-11, 11:07 AM

meringue will become famous soon enough

You should definitely back up your hard drive first, sometimes when you screw with partitions it can mess up you filesystem and it won't be able to boot. If you back it up, then you can always restore it if something goes wrong.

If you're using Linux, gparted is a good program to use.
Old 06-10-11, 12:09 PM
Forum Guru

Grasshoppaa is just really niceGrasshoppaa is just really niceGrasshoppaa is just really niceGrasshoppaa is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by tipoo View Post
If one partition is empty its considerably easier. Are you on Windows 7/vista, or an older version? If the former, you can do it with windows. Right click my computer in the start menu, go to manage. Go to disk management, and there ya are. Delete the empty partition, then expand the other one into it.

If your on another OS or an older Windows, you can use Acronis for partitioning software. They have a free trial that should be enough.
I have Windows 7, but I just did as you said and it worked! Thanks for the help!! Now hopefully I'll stop getting the "low disk space" messages that have been popping up on my desktop every 10 minutes. I can't imagine why they would partition the hard drive right from the factory. Oh well.

Thanks again!

If you have any questions, comments, or suggestions about the fun on this forum, please send a message to Metzfanaz in the complaint department.