ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > TREATMENT & MANAGEMENT > Medications > Medications for Co-Existing Conditions
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Old 03-31-18, 02:28 PM

HyperSweaty is on a distinguished road
Hyperhidrosis (Sweaty Palms)

Anyone have major hyperhidrosis as one of their related problems? The sweaty palms especially bother me. I have tried extra strength antiperspirants, Hidrex, Botox and more with limited success. ETS surgery seems to have too many potential side effects.

Any advice would be appreciated.
Old 04-01-18, 05:46 AM
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate

Thanked 6,149 Times in 2,899 Posts
Kunga Dorji has a reputation beyond reputeKunga Dorji has a reputation beyond reputeKunga Dorji has a reputation beyond reputeKunga Dorji has a reputation beyond reputeKunga Dorji has a reputation beyond reputeKunga Dorji has a reputation beyond reputeKunga Dorji has a reputation beyond reputeKunga Dorji has a reputation beyond reputeKunga Dorji has a reputation beyond reputeKunga Dorji has a reputation beyond reputeKunga Dorji has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Hyperhidrosis (Sweaty Palms)

Quote:
Originally Posted by HyperSweaty View Post
Anyone have major hyperhidrosis as one of their related problems? The sweaty palms especially bother me. I have tried extra strength antiperspirants, Hidrex, Botox and more with limited success. ETS surgery seems to have too many potential side effects.

Any advice would be appreciated.
I have had major issues with sweaty episodes, sometimes to the point of causing a risk of dehydration.

My functional neurologist attributes it to an out of control stress response. This has been resolving as we work on the underlying balance system problems.

Some of the issues are discussed here starting at 1:19:40

Whenever you see a crowd all rushing in the same direction on any one issue, run in the opposite direction.

There is neither fun nor profit to be had in polishing the brass knobs on a bandwagon.
Nicholas Nasseem Taleb.

Old 04-02-18, 03:49 PM

Thanks. Do you sweat in the palms too or just overall body sweating? The palms bother me the most.

Have you heard about the hyperhidrosis ETS surgical procedure itself?
Sponsored Links
Old 04-02-18, 10:00 PM

Kunga Dorji has a reputation beyond reputeKunga Dorji has a reputation beyond reputeKunga Dorji has a reputation beyond reputeKunga Dorji has a reputation beyond reputeKunga Dorji has a reputation beyond reputeKunga Dorji has a reputation beyond reputeKunga Dorji has a reputation beyond reputeKunga Dorji has a reputation beyond reputeKunga Dorji has a reputation beyond reputeKunga Dorji has a reputation beyond reputeKunga Dorji has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Thanks. Do you sweat in the palms too or just overall body sweating? The palms bother me the most.

Have you heard about the hyperhidrosis ETS surgical procedure itself?
It has improved very much ( and i mean really really very much) in the past 2 months following some craniosacral treatment, however it was mostly palms, face and armpits.
Usually it would start on the right side (especially the right face) only then generalise to the whole body afterwards.

The functional neurological treatment I had should have resolved it- but it turned out there was a twist in the membranes around my upper spinal cord and that was compressing the arteries to my brainstem- causing weird stress reactions.

This has taken a hell of a log time to master, but since adding the craniosacral treatment and some yoga to my functional neurological treatment the overall improvement in my health has been enormous. The ADHD symptoms (which are probably best understood as the result of autonomic derangement as well) are next to non existent and once again I am having stimulant free days, and most of my pain issues are gone.

Ive heard of the surgical procedure, but I'd not be keen to go there myself-- it is just addressing symptoms rather than causes.

Whenever you see a crowd all rushing in the same direction on any one issue, run in the opposite direction.

There is neither fun nor profit to be had in polishing the brass knobs on a bandwagon.
Nicholas Nasseem Taleb.

Old 04-03-18, 03:55 PM

Thanks a lot Kunga!

Here are the side effects of the ETS hyperhidrosis surgery that I am worried about:

http://www.no-ets.com/sideeffects.html

Your method sounds much better, but I am not sure I will have your motivation. Are there any links you can share besides the video that have helped you?

Thanks.
Old 04-09-18, 10:28 PM

Quote:
Thanks a lot Kunga!

Here are the side effects of the ETS hyperhidrosis surgery that I am worried about:

http://www.no-ets.com/sideeffects.html

Your method sounds much better, but I am not sure I will have your motivation. Are there any links you can share besides the video that have helped you?

Thanks.

It is actually quite difficult to assemble a complete case concisely- and I have had to hunt through numerous data sources to reach the point I got to.

I will make a couple of post to space it all out.

However this presentation on "orthostatic intolerance" (dysregulation of the autonomic nervous system leading to poor adjustment of blood pressure when shifting to upright posture) is helpful:

Nicholas Nasseem Taleb.

Last edited by namazu; 04-09-18 at 10:44 PM.. Reason: fixed YouTube link: leave off the "s" from "https" or the page looks funny.
Old 04-09-18, 11:10 PM

The next one to look at is this one of a case presentation of a 14 year old girl with ADHD receiving neurological rehabilitation mostly focussing on improving eye coordination.the therapy was successful and she improved from an F student to a B student within months:

See slide 2 for the first mention of hyperhidrosis.
As you go through the video you will see that the practitioner is actually using the disappearance of the sweaty palms as a proxy marker of clinical progress- even though they were not this girls main complaint.

A key point here is that the sympathetic symptoms (which include sweaty hands) are all symptoms of another problem. In this case it is probably a synergy between impaired balance (often subtle but accepted as "normal" by many individuals who have had it for a long while) impaired spatial awareness and impaired eye movement coordination. She can't coordinate hee eyes (which are the principal attention tools used when studying) and that precipitates her symptoms.

Nemechek in the video before is highlighting a difficulty maintaining cerebral blood flow as a trigger for a stress response.

So there can be multiple causes of a stress response- and many of them are purely physiological.

In ADHD our system is in a state of chronic stress response (aka sympathetic dominance). That and a few other ancillary issues like eye coordination, balance and spatial awareness drive almost all of the ADHD symptoms (though the full ADHD picture would probably not emerge without these little issues with balance, eyes and coordination. The stress response has a major effect on our attention though.To quote my doctor:

Quote:
Thanks KD,
Its fascinating to come at a life experience (he's refering to me, his intervntions and the stresses and traumas associated with the breakup of my marriage here)--such as an SNS-dominant state from different points of view notably contrasting short acting, metabolically-challenging interventions with more long-standing environmental influences. Hari (in his book Lost Connections) writes about this a lot esp with reference to Sapolsky’s work recorded in the latter's book “Behave’.

(Sympathetic dominance/ responses cause attentional problems) particularly around hijacking of the orientation systems eg ADHD dynamics to either increase vigilance or failure to down-regulate the multi-vector/multi-channel orientation systems capture by the vigilance systems.
My comment would be that a great portion of ADHD symptoms can be covered by that "failure to down-regulate the multi-vector/multi-channel orientation systems". IE Your eyes are all over the place- scanning for danger.

Equally, the conventional Medical Profession is finally catching on to the fact that the majority of chronic illness is probably caused by a longstanding state of sympathetic dominance:
ie
hypertension
diabetes
heart failure
osteoporosis
can all be seen as the consequences of the long standing neurohormonal changes associated with chronic sympathetic dominance (which is NOT the result of primary psychosocial stressors).

I could spend all day referencing the above- but this is a good start:
http://hyper.ahajournals.org/content/59/4/755
Autonomic Neural Regulation of the Immune System

Implications for Hypertension and Cardiovascular Disease

Hypertension April 2012, Volume 59, Issue 4

So the reason I have been patient with this is that I am in my mid fifties and I do not fancy having a stroke or heart failure because I missed the warning signs.

My perspective (and I can support that very extensively) is that the hyperhydrosis is of greatest significance as a sign of sympathetic overactivity- and that that overactivity is directly making my ADHD symptoms worse and predisposing to undesirable health outcomes in terms of more conventional medical problems. At one stage I did briefly consider surgery at least to control the armpit sweating- but I decided that it would be papering over a more serious problem.

Nicholas Nasseem Taleb.

Last edited by namazu; 04-10-18 at 12:58 AM.. Reason: fixed YouTube link -- be sure URL starts with http, not https.
Old 04-10-18, 05:18 PM

lntense is on a distinguished road

Is it worse when you take your meds or when you are not on your meds?

Could be due or exacerbated by several things. Increase in norepinephrine, high thyroid etc..