ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > TREATMENT & MANAGEMENT > Medications > Medications for Co-Existing Conditions
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Old 10-24-05, 02:14 PM
ADDvanced Member

ahalo is on a distinguished road
When ADs counteract stimulants...

Has anyone else had this problem?? It appears that whenever I try to take an antidepressant (Zoloft or Effexor XR at the low, SSRI stage), the effects the of AD somehow "counteract" my methylphenidate so that the benefits of the methylphenidate are almost completely gone. In particular, the methylphenidate REALLY helps with my impatience and overreactivity. But whenever I try an AD for my anxiety/PMDD, the methylphenidate has stopped working. With Zoloft, not only did that happen but I was always in a bad mood.

I don't understand why this happens to some people. There has to be a reasonable "brain" explanation, which can help me find out what I can do to control my anxiety and PMDD without becoming a spaz.

Maybe I'm not getting enough sleep? I know that I am monster-like if I don't get quality sleep, and so maybe that's the problem. Or maybe I have a really screwed up brain that won't allow me to find relief from my problems. If anyone has ever had this problem, what did you find to be a solution??
Old 11-16-05, 04:12 PM
ADDvanced Member

Daven is on a distinguished road
I was put on Effexor for some mild social problems, but recently, I began to notice, that my attitude twords work had changed. While the stimulant (In my case, Adderall.) still effected me to some degree, the Effexor just about nullified any benifit.

Im slowly tapering off Effexor, from 75mg to this week, 35, and im already noticing a big diffrence only 3 days in. Im working on dropping it all togeather.

So in answer to the question, while I don't belive it compleatly cancles it, I think it may effect my motivation, so it seems that way. After all, basicly they are all designed to "take the edge off" in simple terms.
Old 11-21-05, 11:55 AM
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate

netsavy006 is a jewel in the roughnetsavy006 is a jewel in the roughnetsavy006 is a jewel in the rough
I wish I could help with this issue but I don't understand the counteracting of the AD's and the methelphenedate. I know that Zoloft can cause irritible mood/agitation. I experienced that myself while on Zoloft. It just doesn't make sence to me b/c (please correct me if i'm wrong), Doesn't ritalin affect dopamine and zoloft affect serotonin.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ahalo
Has anyone else had this problem?? It appears that whenever I try to take an antidepressant (Zoloft or Effexor XR at the low, SSRI stage), the effects the of AD somehow "counteract" my methylphenidate so that the benefits of the methylphenidate are almost completely gone. In particular, the methylphenidate REALLY helps with my impatience and overreactivity. But whenever I try an AD for my anxiety/PMDD, the methylphenidate has stopped working. With Zoloft, not only did that happen but I was always in a bad mood.

I don't understand why this happens to some people. There has to be a reasonable "brain" explanation, which can help me find out what I can do to control my anxiety and PMDD without becoming a spaz.

Maybe I'm not getting enough sleep? I know that I am monster-like if I don't get quality sleep, and so maybe that's the problem. Or maybe I have a really screwed up brain that won't allow me to find relief from my problems. If anyone has ever had this problem, what did you find to be a solution??
Sponsored Links
Old 03-07-18, 07:55 PM

lalala137 is on a distinguished road
Re: When ADs counteract stimulants...

In theroy SNRI should increase the effect of ritalin, they both are reuptake inhibitors. On the other hand SNRI or SSRI cancels MDMA (I know this from experience), because the levels of Seratonin are already so high that the extra seratonin released by MDMA does not matter.
Old 03-08-18, 04:15 AM
Mod-A-holic

Thanked 32,892 Times in 15,249 Posts
sarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by lalala137 View Post
In theroy SNRI should increase the effect of ritalin, they both are reuptake inhibitors. On the other hand SNRI or SSRI cancels MDMA (I know this from experience), because the levels of Seratonin are already so high that the extra seratonin released by MDMA does not matter.
What does MDMA have to do with this?

I carried a watermelon?
Old 03-08-18, 11:03 AM
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate

Thanked 14,565 Times in 6,500 Posts
aeon has a reputation beyond reputeaeon has a reputation beyond reputeaeon has a reputation beyond reputeaeon has a reputation beyond reputeaeon has a reputation beyond reputeaeon has a reputation beyond reputeaeon has a reputation beyond reputeaeon has a reputation beyond reputeaeon has a reputation beyond reputeaeon has a reputation beyond reputeaeon has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarahsweets View Post
What does MDMA have to do with this?
It was an example to illustrate how different drugs may interact based upon their neurotransmitter targets and mode of action.

Cheers,
Ian
The Following User Says Thank You to aeon For This Useful Post:
Little Missy (03-08-18)