ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > TREATMENT & MANAGEMENT > Medications > Medications for Co-Existing Conditions
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Old 05-09-07, 07:30 PM
Banned

Wish is an unknown quantity at this point
gabapentin (generic neurontin)

I've been taking gabapentin for 10 days now. So far, it hasn't seemed to be particularly effective at controlling anger or outbursts. Does this medication take awhile to work? Does anyone have any experience with using it to help with anger?
Old 05-09-07, 11:01 PM
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate

speedo has much to be proud ofspeedo has much to be proud ofspeedo has much to be proud ofspeedo has much to be proud ofspeedo has much to be proud ofspeedo has much to be proud ofspeedo has much to be proud ofspeedo has much to be proud ofspeedo has much to be proud ofspeedo has much to be proud of
Neurontin is not very strong as mood stabilizers go. It can take about 4 weeks for it to kick in. The down side is that about 40% of the people who take it cannot metabolize it properly and it simply will not work for them. It's use as a mood stabilizer in bipolar disorder is a bit controvertial as many people question it's effectiveness.

If it works for you, it is a great med... it is cheap and has few side effects.

I've been on it for 2 years, with no problems.. I'm not bipolar. I started taking it to help with tinnitus and hyperacusous (It helped) and my doc kept me on it to control epilepsy... I have noticed that it does act as a mild mood stabilizer.

good luck

Me
"Sig personnas illegitum non carborundum." (unknown)
The computer lets you make more mistakes faster, with the exception of tequila and a handgun. (M. Radcliffe)
Old 05-09-07, 11:56 PM

Thanked 1,017 Times in 640 Posts
QueensU_girl has a brilliant futureQueensU_girl has a brilliant futureQueensU_girl has a brilliant futureQueensU_girl has a brilliant futureQueensU_girl has a brilliant futureQueensU_girl has a brilliant futureQueensU_girl has a brilliant futureQueensU_girl has a brilliant futureQueensU_girl has a brilliant futureQueensU_girl has a brilliant futureQueensU_girl has a brilliant future
I have been avoiding posting b/c I don't want to be the next one to have my head bitten off.

However, I do like to help [for the sake of other readers, too], so here goes.

------

Neurontin is also used for a # of conditions. Limbic or Temporal irritability ('rage reduction' and mood stabilization), to dampen the signals in Chronic pain, to reduce RLS/PLMs in sleep, IIRC.

It basically Reduces nerve cell 'communication'/chatter/irritability on many brain levels, so i can see how it would work for all of these conditions.

It seems like neurontin is not terribly potent, doesn't it? Yup. :S
(e.g. has to be taken in high doses)

That said, I think that it is one of the best tolerated and safest anti-seizure meds on the market, so I'm glad to hear your doctor has tried Rx-ing it.

Some anti-seizure meds I took for my Neuralgia were BRUTAL. (e.g. Tegretol; 'nuff said)

--------

I took Neurontin for nerve pain ('neuralgia') after a 'slip and fall' injury. (Chronic nerve pain resulted in my groin/thigh; femoral nerve. Later they figured that i tore a deep back/hip/groin muscle, affecting the nerve. Later cured the neuralgia with Laser, but that is another story... )

Anywho, for chronic nerve pain, it has to be take in very high doses. e.g. 1600-2400 mg/day (maybe more)

Main side effects (for me) were sedation, risk of falling/incoordination, and some episodic double vision. (I am easily sedated!)

It seems to be an Expensive drug. (One of my drug plans, the gov't one, didn't cover it.)

Much more tolerable than the Tegretol, which is another drug I tried for the neuralgia. That's a nasty one, too.

HTH.

PS. I will non-specifically ask my SO which meds he has used for his pts. with bipolar, _and_ for any 'off label' ideas he's heard of, that can work. Forensics folks tend to encounter pts. who have 'tried everything' w/ little success.

My only other suggestion is to ask about seeing a Psycho-Pharmacologist. They are the Off Label drug and drug combining experts!

Last edited by QueensU_girl; 05-10-07 at 12:12 AM..
Sponsored Links
Old 05-10-07, 12:14 AM
Banned

Queens, I am sorry that you are afraid of having your head bitten off.
Old 05-10-07, 12:16 AM
Banned

I am on the lowest dose of neurontin. So, it could also be a dosing issue. I'll mention all of this to my psychiatrist and see what he wants to do. Because I'm a petite woman, I often have to start new medications at a low dose.
Old 05-10-07, 12:45 AM

speedo has much to be proud ofspeedo has much to be proud ofspeedo has much to be proud ofspeedo has much to be proud ofspeedo has much to be proud ofspeedo has much to be proud ofspeedo has much to be proud ofspeedo has much to be proud ofspeedo has much to be proud ofspeedo has much to be proud of
I'm presently on 900 mg per day. I was taking 1800 per day to treat my hyperacusous and it did help improve things noticably.... ie I no longer panic when the telephone rings...

I had some drowsyness when I first started taking it and that lasted for a few weeks and passed. I've not had any other side effects that I have noticed.

as far as anti-seizure meds go.. it does not wierd me out like diantin did.. My short trial of phenobarbitol resulted in hallucinations , so I guess neurontin is a huge ijmprovement.

neurontin has to be taken in high doses because the body does not metabolize gabapentin very well.

An interesting thing about it is that taking more is not always good. At some point taking more reduces the amount of the drug that actually makes it to the brain.
While the max safe dose is high, the theraputic does will be much lower and going beyond the dose that works could result in reduced effectiveness.

It also works a lot better if you keep the level in your blood constant. That means that taking smaller doses several times a day will be more effective than taking one large dose a day.

I take 300 mg three times a day but it would probably be more effective if I took 200 mg four times day (but I don't want the hassle of taking meds 4 times a day).

Me
The computer lets you make more mistakes faster, with the exception of tequila and a handgun. (M. Radcliffe)

Last edited by speedo; 05-10-07 at 01:09 AM..
Old 05-10-07, 06:58 AM

Crazy~Feet is a jewel in the roughCrazy~Feet is a jewel in the roughCrazy~Feet is a jewel in the rough
My daughter is currently taking 1200 mgs at bedtime for bipolar II disorder. IMHO its not working well for her; all it seems to do is sedate her to go to sleep and keep her slightly more level when she wakes up. She still needs to take Risperdal for agitation.
Old 05-10-07, 11:40 AM
Banned

What is IMHO?
Old 05-10-07, 11:42 AM

Crazy~Feet is a jewel in the roughCrazy~Feet is a jewel in the roughCrazy~Feet is a jewel in the rough
IMHO == in my humble opinion
Old 05-10-07, 12:20 PM
Banned

Lamictal was very effective and didn't have any side effects until I got that god awful lamictal rash. My psychiatrist said that tegretol also has a more common side effect of rash. So that isn't likely to work.

I'm amazed that more new anti-convulsants, with less side effects, haven't been created. If I were a drug company I'd be looking at that as a huge source of increased sales.

Queens, I found out from my doctor that mood stabilization is an off-label use for most anti-convulsants (i.e., the FDA hasn't officially approved most anti-convulsants for use as mood stabilizers). Given that I'm allergic to lamictal (one of the few anti-convulsants that is FDA approved for treatment of mood stabilizers), I'm glad that my doctor isn't opposed to prescribing drugs for off-label use.
Old 05-10-07, 11:08 PM
Banned

Emma, I have a concern. Please respond to the messages and/or emails I sent you.
Old 07-17-08, 02:53 AM
Forum ADDvocate

DotwithADD is just really niceDotwithADD is just really niceDotwithADD is just really niceDotwithADD is just really nice
Re: gabapentin (generic neurontin)

Would you all believe I'm taking Gabapentin for my hot flashes?? I take 1 3 x/day or 3 at night so that I can sleep without waking up in a sweat... It does help if I could just remember to take them.

SUCCESS COMES IN CANS NOT "CAN'TS"

Dx's: ADD, OCD,and MILD DEPRESSION, and occasional generalized anxiety (minor)

Breast Cancer Survivor since 2005
Old 07-17-08, 03:22 AM

That is a new one. Neurontin (gabapentin)is a funny drug. It is used for so many things. Neuropathic pain, epilelepsy, for bipolar disorder as a mood stabilizer, for tinnitis and hyperacusis, and now for hot flashes??? Sure , why not?

Me
The Following User Says Thank You to speedo For This Useful Post:
DotwithADD (07-17-08)
Old 07-18-08, 10:00 PM
Contributor

NickL30 is a glorious beacon of lightNickL30 is a glorious beacon of lightNickL30 is a glorious beacon of lightNickL30 is a glorious beacon of lightNickL30 is a glorious beacon of lightNickL30 is a glorious beacon of light

Excellent to help sleep without that nasty hung over spaced out feeling you get if you take Ambien or Xanax. I take 600MG at night plus Prozac during the day. The problem is that there may be a bad rebound effect the next day whereas you feel more manic than usual -- but that may or not be the prozac
Old 06-25-17, 07:38 AM

JakeH99 is on a distinguished road

Yeah, I hated Gabapentin it was the worst. Run for your life.