ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > ADDF Lounge > Chit-Chat > ADD Tech Corner
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

ADD Tech Corner Discuss issues with software, hardware, viruses, security and other technology issues here.

Old 05-20-10, 02:26 PM
ADDvanced Forum Guru

Werl is a splendid one to beholdWerl is a splendid one to beholdWerl is a splendid one to beholdWerl is a splendid one to beholdWerl is a splendid one to beholdWerl is a splendid one to beholdWerl is a splendid one to beholdWerl is a splendid one to behold
Talking Linux Share Hold

Well, I have the "Mac share hold" thread, so, I thought that maybe I should start one about Linux.

Statistically, we should have just over 206 people on here using Linux.

*Note, This stat. is when we had 19 674 users*

A teenage male from central Alberta, diagnosed with ADHD, borderline Aspergers, and a non verbal learning disorder.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Werl For This Useful Post:
Addr68 (05-25-10), doiadhd (06-02-10)
Old 05-20-10, 05:42 PM
ADDvanced Forum Guru

Werl is a splendid one to beholdWerl is a splendid one to beholdWerl is a splendid one to beholdWerl is a splendid one to beholdWerl is a splendid one to beholdWerl is a splendid one to beholdWerl is a splendid one to beholdWerl is a splendid one to behold
Re: Linux Share Hold

Just over 445 users should be using Linux.

A teenage male from central Alberta, diagnosed with ADHD, borderline Aspergers, and a non verbal learning disorder.
Addr68 (05-20-10), doiadhd (06-02-10)
Old 05-24-10, 06:58 PM
ADDvanced Forum Guru

Just over 466 users should be using Linux.

Addr68 (05-25-10), doiadhd (06-02-10)
Sponsored Links
Old 05-30-10, 10:48 PM
ADDvanced Forum Guru

448 people use Linux.

Addr68 (05-31-10), doiadhd (06-02-10)
Old 06-02-10, 12:03 AM
ADDvanced Forum Guru

About 483 people use Linux.

Addr68 (06-02-10), doiadhd (06-02-10)
Old 06-02-10, 01:52 AM
Committee of One

Thanked 4,156 Times in 1,774 Posts
Retromancer has a reputation beyond reputeRetromancer has a reputation beyond reputeRetromancer has a reputation beyond reputeRetromancer has a reputation beyond reputeRetromancer has a reputation beyond reputeRetromancer has a reputation beyond reputeRetromancer has a reputation beyond reputeRetromancer has a reputation beyond reputeRetromancer has a reputation beyond reputeRetromancer has a reputation beyond reputeRetromancer has a reputation beyond repute

And one who would gladly switch if installing Linux was as easy as installing Firefox/Chrome...
-- Oscar Wilde
The Following User Says Thank You to Retromancer For This Useful Post:
wsmac (09-26-10)
Old 09-26-10, 11:25 AM

snickerz is on a distinguished road

have you tried installing linux using wubi, you can install it within windows and if you dont like it you can remove through add/remove programs

It is how I got into linux

http://wubi-installer.org/
Old 09-26-10, 02:47 PM
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate

Thanked 1,612 Times in 790 Posts
Nifferka has much to be proud ofNifferka has much to be proud ofNifferka has much to be proud ofNifferka has much to be proud ofNifferka has much to be proud ofNifferka has much to be proud ofNifferka has much to be proud ofNifferka has much to be proud ofNifferka has much to be proud ofNifferka has much to be proud of

Is wubi like Virtual Box? We have virtual box on our home laptop, and can run either Linux or Windows XP in it--maybe we can run both, but I don't know. I usually just use it for editing old Word files in XP (since we failed to get Word when we got this Windows 7 laptop in the US in February, and Works doesn't do what I want it to do). My DH's work laptop also has Virtual Box, and he just uses it to run Linux most of the time.

After nearly 10 years in the former USSR, the UK seems like a foreign country. I don't know who I'm meant to be or what I'm meant to do. So, at least some things haven't changed...
Ninja posts!
Old 09-26-10, 09:00 PM
Forum ADDvocate

Thanked 1,114 Times in 541 Posts
wsmac has much to be proud ofwsmac has much to be proud ofwsmac has much to be proud ofwsmac has much to be proud ofwsmac has much to be proud ofwsmac has much to be proud ofwsmac has much to be proud ofwsmac has much to be proud ofwsmac has much to be proud of

I would totally be messing around with Linux if I could follow directions from a book, or webpage.

Instead, I keep asking around my area for someone conversant in Unix/Linux to they can actively teach me.

=========
I know have a new diagnosis: Attention Difference Display / Happy Dance (ADD/HD)... I think it fits!
=========

Sometimes I worry that if I don't slow down... I'll run my batteries down and won't be able to recharge myself... powered down permanently at such a young age!
Old 09-27-10, 07:23 AM

no wubi isnt run in a virtual box it boots sepraretly from ie your windows installation, why dont you try wubi wsmac also there are masses of people using ubuntu and they have a very large forum which includes tutorials etc
The Following User Says Thank You to snickerz For This Useful Post:
Nifferka (09-27-10)
Old 10-01-10, 06:11 AM
Jr Member

Wolpertinger is on a distinguished road

Been using Linux off and on since 2001!

Tried SuSE, Mandrake, (now Mandriva) Gentoo, Vidalinux, and settled with Ubuntu, which is currently the only OS on this computer.
Old 10-01-10, 11:05 AM

I tried various distros but ubuntu kept drawing me back like a moth to a flame lol
Old 10-01-10, 06:52 PM

Thanked 1,476 Times in 780 Posts
tipoo has a brilliant futuretipoo has a brilliant futuretipoo has a brilliant futuretipoo has a brilliant futuretipoo has a brilliant futuretipoo has a brilliant futuretipoo has a brilliant futuretipoo has a brilliant futuretipoo has a brilliant futuretipoo has a brilliant futuretipoo has a brilliant future

I'm an avid Ubuntu user/fanboy, but there is currently no supported sound driver for my laptop (as well as some other issues) so for now its Windows 7.
Old 01-02-11, 02:38 PM

silverraindog is on a distinguished road

hehe been a linux fan boy for about 10 years (working with it solely on my computer) and for the past 2-3 years been working as a linux admin, installing ubuntu is as easy as install windows (if not easier as it should install the drivers for you)
Old 01-02-11, 02:39 PM

Thanked 1,476 Times in 780 Posts
tipoo has a brilliant futuretipoo has a brilliant futuretipoo has a brilliant futuretipoo has a brilliant futuretipoo has a brilliant futuretipoo has a brilliant futuretipoo has a brilliant futuretipoo has a brilliant futuretipoo has a brilliant futuretipoo has a brilliant futuretipoo has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by tipoo View Post
I'm an avid Ubuntu user/fanboy, but there is currently no supported sound driver for my laptop (as well as some other issues) so for now its Windows 7.
Now that this thread has been bumped, I should put in that proper driver support is there for my laptop by default in 10.10, and I'm loving it