ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > TREATMENT & MANAGEMENT > Medications > Adderall
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Adderall (four amphetamine salts)

Old 04-26-10, 06:07 PM

suz113 is on a distinguished road
Adderall-induced sugar & caffeine cravings...a nightmare!

So I've been prescribed on Adderall (regular-30 mg 2x/day) for about five months now, and it has worked wonders. I have a full time career and am in grad school full time as well, and have been able to balance everything. So apart from the rapid weight loss, insomnia, and initial suppressed appetite, I thought Adderall was finally my answer, until recently. Basically, here is my Adderall timeline:
Months 1 & 2 on Adderall…focused/low appetite/caffeine consumption normal
Month 3...focused/appetite improved/caffeine normal/energy level decreasing
Month 4…focused/eating good/depleted energy/fatigued/caffeine increased
Month 5…not focused at work or school/constantly hungry/horrible sugar cravings/caffeine consumption high

My ADD is much worse… can’t focus at work or when studying, lack of motivation to workout, or do anything really. I've had more headaches, stomachaches, less and less energy, more irritability, and increasing "overwhelm" feelings of all the stuff I had to do that I keep procrastinating on.

Then it peaked this weekend. I went on a pretty nasty cookie binge, with a little bit of chocolate thrown in there too. It started with a headache and some distractions around noon, then I went spiraling into ADD hell. Then the worst part kicked in by 5pm... dizzy, things were foggy, my body just started aching everywhere, had numbness, cold, and finally I just curled under a blanket and passed out 30 minutes because I couldn't keep my eyes open. Felt better after that, but I knew it was from the sugar. I don't think I have ever consumed that much sugar, at least as an adult, and I knew my body shut down from it. I've been trying to flush water through my system today & my only sugar has come from a banana and some strawberries, but I still have the headache, stomachache, and just feel like crap.

So, how do you curb the caffeine and sugar cravings? I am not used to eating much sugar anyway, but this was overload at its worst. I would sit down to study and then think, oh well, I better get another cookie to get through this. Makes me shiver thinking back.

And caffeine- does that make Adderall ineffective too? Starting to think it might. Anyway, I'm 2 weeks from finals and need to get through, successfully. I appreciate any advice!
Old 04-27-10, 04:51 PM

4u2nv is on a distinguished road
Re: Adderall-induced sugar & caffeine cravings...a nightmare!

looking for a good response because I've gone or am going through the same thing
Old 04-27-10, 05:49 PM

Koblin3426 is on a distinguished road

I can't comment on how to get rid of sugar/caffeine cravings because I haven't gotten that side effect, but I can tell you a few things that would help.

Although caffeine, in general, can increase the effects of adderall (and vice versa), coffee is ACIDIC which has the effect of DECREASING the potency of adderall. While I don't know the exact science of it, I know that an acidic stomach/urine level will drastically reduce the potency and effects of adderall in your body.

That's why, people on these forums DON'T suggest having orange juice, soda (High fructose corn syrup/citric acid), pizza, etc with adderall. In fact, it's common for people to drink OJ a few hours before bed to get the adderall out of their systems to help insomnia. People usually wait 30 mins to an hour to take their adderall because your stomach produces acid to digest food.

Another thing, sugar is not a good idea for concentration because you WILL crash. I've heard a high protein meal is good for ADHDers but I'm not positive on that one. As far as other helpful things, I would HIGHLY suggest taking a break but it sounds like it's not a possibility for you now. For me, it dramatically increased the effectiveness of adderall.

Here's the thread I made for how taking a break helped specifically:

http://www.addforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=82006

PS: Adding caffeine to adderall will most likely dehydrate you. Adderall/coffee in general will dehydrate you so watch out for this. You may also get gastrointestinal side effects, headaches, etc.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Koblin3426 For This Useful Post:
ADHDTigger (04-27-10), deladaisy (06-10-10), suz113 (04-29-10)
Sponsored Links
Old 04-29-10, 01:25 PM

suz113 is on a distinguished road

Thank you so much for your suggestions! A break may be a great idea. Actually now that I think about it, things have gone downhill since I started regularly taking the 30mg twice a day. Previously (earlier in the semester) on weekends I would either take 15mg for the second dose, or skip the second dose entirely. Adderall was much more effective then. My schedule is a little tight to go off for a few days, but I may try a half dose in the mornings while I'm at work, regular afternoon dose, and maybe this weekend after I've put in a strong morning of studying, do a half dose in the afternoon or skip it. There's only so much you can study in one day anyway. That may help some.

I've wondered about the gastrointestinal effects too. I've had digestive problems pre-Adderall, but seemed to have that worked out for most of the time I've been on Adderall, until the last month or so, I've noticed around 12pm until I go to bed at night I'm having some big digestive issues. I've been very cautious with citric acid consumption 1 hour before/after taking Adderall, but have not been careful when I drink coffee. I'm wondering if the acidity is causing problems, and possibly as the coffee goes through my system a few hours after I've taken Adderall, that the problems show up in my digestive system too. If I can muster the courage to not have coffee tomorrow (such an addict), it would be interesting to see how I feel/function.

I think something I'm consuming is causing the adderall to lose its effectiveness. I am constantly hungry during the day, and have found myself overeating a couple of times and then feel like crap of course. I've been increasing my protein and water consumption the last few days, but still am in hungry hungry hippo mode. I'm also rather distracted.

Such fine balances you have to find when you take this. I'll try experimenting over the next few days to see how things change. Hopefully for the better!
Old 04-30-10, 06:33 AM
ADDvanced Contributor

kiosk is a jewel in the roughkiosk is a jewel in the roughkiosk is a jewel in the rough

do you take it on an empty stomach or after a meal?
Old 04-30-10, 08:40 AM
Contributor

xenonscreams is just really nicexenonscreams is just really nicexenonscreams is just really nicexenonscreams is just really nice

Pardon me for posting here because I take Vyvanse, not Adderall, but nobody responded when I complained of the same problems in the Vyvanse sub-forum, and the medications are similar.

I spent a few hours last night going super ADHD and reading about why this could possibly happen. There's a lot of evidence that altering levels of serotonin and noradrenaline can actually physically alter your perception of taste. Noradrenaline is one of the major neurotransmitters that makes our meds effective. Likewise, it's responsible for part of the fight-or-flight response, which demands glucose so that we can get it to our brains to think quickly. Another result of this is that it flushes all of our sugar into our blood to make use of it quickly, which might result in high blood sugar followed by a crash later (not eating well would likely make this worse).

My friend also mentioned something about Adderall being salt-based, which would make sense for you but not for me (Vyvanse is different in that respect).

I'm going to bring this up to my doctor next week so if I find anything out that also applies to Adderall, I'll let you know. For now, honey. It's extremely satisfying when you're craving sugar, just have a spoonful of honey. Seriously.
Old 05-05-10, 08:55 PM

anyone else with a little help?
Old 05-06-10, 03:05 AM
ADDvanced Member

Rune will become famous soon enough

See thats kinda funny, because ever since I hit that magical 30mg point, I didn't have the sugar/caffeine cravings. But in my case its only when I dont take my meds. I give myself a break on the weekends and thats when I go crazy. I've killed 3#s of Gummi works in one weekend. Back on the meds no problem. The joys of medications.
Any thoughts and opinions expressed within are solely that. My own thoughts and opinions. What is said is from my own view or interpretation of what happened or is posted. Take what is said under advisement, but never over what a medical professional recommends. Any scenario mentioned may be real or may be from my own little world of reality. Use caution. Results may vary.
Old 08-16-10, 09:25 PM

still looking for info... im still having this problem and dosage has gone up to 60mg