ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > CO-EXISTING CONDITIONS > Other Co-Existing Conditions
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Old 11-27-17, 03:27 AM

NewGuy94 is on a distinguished road
Tendency to use brute force when performing tasks

One, major difficulty I face when performing the daily tasks is the tendency to use brute force instead of using organizational skills. For example- when vacuuming a room I usually go over all the areas of the room in zigzag fashion and go over every area twice and thrice. I almost feel this rush to finish the task as quickly as possible and try to perform the task without any planning and organization. However, this rushed unorganized approach combined to the maybe adhd trait about wanting perfectionism(discussed here ) will lead to me using excessive force and repetition when performing the task. However, this trait completely disappears when Iím under Ritalin. I cannot find any literature on this trait and itís relation with ADHD and Iím extremely curious whether other people with ADHD experience it as well.

Last edited by namazu; 11-27-17 at 03:42 AM.. Reason: fixed YouTube link: make sure URL starts with http, not https, so page displays correctly
The Following User Says Thank You to NewGuy94 For This Useful Post:
Fraser_0762 (12-11-17)
Old 11-27-17, 10:03 AM

allesandro1 will become famous soon enough
Re: Tendency to use brute force when performing tasks

I've not experienced it personally but I have a client who I believe is ADD and she has complained of it. I believe in her it manifests in not wanting to complete tasks because of the inordinate energy required to complete it in a perfectionistic manner. I think she overcompensates for feelings of inadequacy. At least that's my assessment so far. would like to see if this changes once she is properly medicated
Old 12-11-17, 05:30 AM
Mod-A-holic

Thanked 29,561 Times in 13,429 Posts
sarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond repute

Very all or nothing right? I have a hard time with shades of gray. Its ironic that someone with adhd can be a perfectionist and still have the problems we have. Its almost like id rather do nothing if I cant do it perfect. And the rush to get it done just so I can cross it off my list is very strong, even if its not done the perfect way.

I carried a watermelon?

I've always been one of a kind. It just hasnt always been positive.
Sponsored Links
Old 12-11-17, 05:35 AM
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate

Thanked 5,833 Times in 2,833 Posts
Fraser_0762 has a reputation beyond reputeFraser_0762 has a reputation beyond reputeFraser_0762 has a reputation beyond reputeFraser_0762 has a reputation beyond reputeFraser_0762 has a reputation beyond reputeFraser_0762 has a reputation beyond reputeFraser_0762 has a reputation beyond reputeFraser_0762 has a reputation beyond reputeFraser_0762 has a reputation beyond reputeFraser_0762 has a reputation beyond reputeFraser_0762 has a reputation beyond repute

I could apply this to pretty much any task, but hoovering is a good example. When I turn the hoover on, I don't have a planned out path around the room. If I see a patch that looks dirty, then i'll hoover over it.

Hoovering should be the last thing you do, after you've tidied up everything else. Sometimes I forget this and I hoover, only to find that I need to hoover again later on after dusting down all the furniture.
Old 12-11-17, 05:39 AM

Thanked 28,056 Times in 12,981 Posts
Fuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fraser_0762 View Post
I could apply this to pretty much any task, but hoovering is a good example. When I turn the hoover on, I don't have a planned out path around the room. If I see a patch that looks dirty, then i'll hoover over it.

Hoovering should be the last thing you do, after you've tidied up everything else. Sometimes I forget this and I hoover, only to find that I need to hoover again later on after dusting down all the furniture.
I quite like vacuum cleaning. It's my favourite household chore.

I don't remember though the last time Ive dusted anything. It just never strikes me to dust.
The Following User Says Thank You to Fuzzy12 For This Useful Post:
Fraser_0762 (12-11-17)
Old 12-11-17, 05:41 AM

Thanked 5,833 Times in 2,833 Posts
Fraser_0762 has a reputation beyond reputeFraser_0762 has a reputation beyond reputeFraser_0762 has a reputation beyond reputeFraser_0762 has a reputation beyond reputeFraser_0762 has a reputation beyond reputeFraser_0762 has a reputation beyond reputeFraser_0762 has a reputation beyond reputeFraser_0762 has a reputation beyond reputeFraser_0762 has a reputation beyond reputeFraser_0762 has a reputation beyond reputeFraser_0762 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzzy12 View Post
I quite like vacuum cleaning. It's my favourite household chore.

I don't remember though the last time Ive dusted anything. It just never strikes me to dust.
I think the last time I "cleaned the house" was about 3 months ago. I don't want to even think about the amount of dust and fluff under the couches, the bed, the washing machine.... etc.
The Following User Says Thank You to Fraser_0762 For This Useful Post:
Fuzzy12 (12-11-17)